PDA

View Full Version : My corragated band around the lower bearing came flyi n out !!!

ktjwilliams
04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
I was carvin and seen that corrugated band around the lower spindle bearing came flyin out... I put it back in and tried again,, out it came,, Anyone have a fix for this ??? I was gonna epoxy it in,,, any ideas... The unit was not hot, the bearing is new.... Hmmmmm !!!

Digitalwoodshop
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
That was a common failure a few years back with a refurbished Truck... Depends on your warranty.... Warranty call LHR...

Some here have had good results pushing it back in as far as it can and using a center punch to help lock it in place with a Dimple.... Others have tried a spot of epoxy in 3 or 4 places....

Good Luck,

It is called a Bearing Damper.

AL

AskBud
04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I was carvin and seen that corrugated band around the lower spindle bearing came flyin out... I put it back in and tried again,, out it came,, Anyone have a fix for this ??? I was gonna epoxy it in,,, any ideas... The unit was not hot, the bearing is new.... Hmmmmm !!!It's time to upgrade to the CarveTight (CT) Assembly.
AskBud

ktjwilliams
04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Thx Guyzzz ,,, And Bud, a carvetight would be a downgrade for me.. I make my own spindles from ER20's... Perfect balance, extreme quiet,,, zero run out .. And the flexability to use any size shank from 1/8 to 1/2 with no need for adapters or any other stuff... Thx again guyzzzz !!! As usual a big help !!

bergerud
04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
When you put the tolerance ring back in, did you take out the spindle, put in the ring and then push the bearing back in or did you just try and slip the ring back in? Others have had this problem but others do not take their spindles in and out as we do. The ring is only held in by friction. If you think it has been crushed and cannot provide enough friction, maybe you could, with a punch, revive the dimples. ( I will bet just contact cement or locktite between the ring and the casting would work fine.) Let us know what you learn. ( I think the casting should have a recess for the tolerance ring to fit into so that it cannot come out when the bearing is in.)

chief2007
04-10-2012, 08:04 AM
ktjwilliams - would be interesting to see your spindle set up, could you maybe post a picture

ktjwilliams
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Chief check here http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gru1tf3rvJk&feature=endscreen and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwVY4jzAC8&feature=endscreen&NR=1