PDA

View Full Version : Pattern sharing depot

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

rickyz
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
my first try at uploading some files. the skeleton on the left is a picture and the one on the right was done with a heightmap with zbrush. let me know what you think. I am a woodworker not a computer geek so it will definitely be a long process for me to learn zbrush. using google sketchup pro seems to be the way to go for me but zbrush seems to be a wicked program. having loads of fun with these programs.

PCW
05-19-2009, 09:48 AM
rickyz

Thank You for sharing them and I like both of them. Love the boxing stance.

cnsranch
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
PCW -

I've been meaning to tell you,

Your avatar is really disturbing...........

PCW
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
OK what is bothering you about the avatar.

atauer
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Something about the avatar just seems unnatural.

Maybe its just the fact that it has a human look to it. IDK, but something about it is disturbing.

cnsranch
05-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Looks a little too much like my ex.

PCW
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Jerry

I think I might know her.

I change avatar's every couple of weeks and I will replace it pretty soon. I didn't put it up thinking that it would disturb anyone. I never was the sensitive type.

cnsranch
05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

mabco12
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I am looking for an pattern of angel wings, can anyone help me out??

blantz
05-19-2009, 09:03 PM
mabco12,

Here is a couple of different angel wing patterns. I also included single wings for better placement on your project.

jpaluck
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
here is a quick tiki mask i made

PCW
05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey John

That is a great pattern. I really liked your dutch mangle board as well. Keep up the good work.

Digitalwoodshop
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Looking for some Owl's..... Found Owl2 here, looking for other options. Pay OK too....

Found one on Vector 3D and ALLCW. Looking to give the Customer choices.

AL

mabco12
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
blantz,
Thanks for the wingsnow all in need is some red bull!!! JUst kidding.

jpaluck
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Looking for some Owl's..... Found Owl2 here, looking for other options. Pay OK too....

Found one on Vector 3D and ALLCW. Looking to give the Customer choices.

AL

Here is an owl pattern I have in my store

http://carvemore.com/store/owls.html

liquidguitars
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM

odd but expressive..

fhoward2
05-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have the mpc titled wildlife4. It is a scene with a moose and pine trees. I had it but it is now missing and I can not seem to find it in the attachments. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Skyhawk
05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Does anyone have the mpc titled wildlife4. It is a scene with a moose and pine trees. I had it but it is now missing and I can not seem to find it in the attachments. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Sure do...Here you go!

fhoward2
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Jim. That is the exact one I was looking for.
Frank

bjbethke
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I downloaded a leather craft tooling pattern today, it may make an OK CW pattern. I haven't carved it yet.

Kenm810
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
WoW ---- BJB,

Thanks for Sharing your project!

I'll have to pull out my old Tandy Leather pattern books
for a new "Look See" :wink:

PCW
05-22-2009, 09:38 PM
I downloaded a leather craft tooling pattern today, it may make an OK CW pattern. I haven't carved it yet.

BJ

That really looks cool and can't want to carve it. Thank You

bjbethke
05-22-2009, 10:10 PM
WoW ---- BJB,

Thanks for Sharing your project!

I'll have to pull out my old Tandy Leather pattern books
for a new "Look See" :wink:
Ken,
Thanks, if you copy the Leather Craft images you need to have them at least 300 dots per inch (DPI), most images download to 72 DPI. I use Photoshop and for line drawings I use Illustrator and use the trace function and then convert to 300 DPI and save as a PNG file. This does make a large CW PTN, (15 to 20 inch) I resize the files to eight or 10 inches this makes the PTN file smaller and the MPC will then post on the forum. Note; make all the improvements to the PTN in the 300DPI before resizing. A 20 inch MPC makes a 1.5MB file, needs to be smaller to post to the forum. I have the Adobe CS2 Photoshop programs, I am thinking of updating to the Photoshop CS4 there are some 3d updates with the CS4. Need to sell some of my wood to do that, I have 2400 board foot cut now, 3 stacks 4x8 25 layers high, but it won't be dry for about another six months. It took nine saw blades to cut that. 3 blades broke the others need to be re-sharpened. Blades cost $238.00 for fifteen of them, $7.00 each to re-sharpen.

bjbethke
05-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Here is a billfold pattern.

hess
05-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Ken,
Thanks, if you copy the Leather Craft images you need to have them at least 300 dots per inch (DPI), most images download to 72 DPI. I use Photoshop and for line drawings I use Illustrator and use the trace function and then convert to 300 DPI and save as a PNG file. This does make a large CW PTN, (15 to 20 inch) I resize the files to eight or 10 inches this makes the PTN file smaller and the MPC will then post on the forum. Note; make all the improvements to the PTN in the 300DPI before resizing. A 20 inch MPC makes a 1.5MB file, needs to be smaller to post to the forum. I have the Adobe CS2 Photoshop programs, I am thinking of updating to the Photoshop CS4 there are some 3d updates with the CS4. Need to sell some of my wood to do that, I have 2400 board foot cut now, 3 stacks 4x8 25 layers high, but it won't be dry for about another six months. It took nine saw blades to cut that. 3 blades broke the others need to be re-sharpened. Blades cost $238.00 for fifteen of them, $7.00 each to re-sharpen.

BJ any cedar or walnut. i'n coming your way soon

Hess

liquidguitars
05-23-2009, 01:59 AM
BJB

Cool!

LG

Kenm810
05-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Quote: BJB (Blades cost $238.00 for fifteen of them, $7.00 each to re-sharpen) --Ouch!
Guess it's true -- ya gatta spend Money to make Money.

Great to see the Wood will be put to good use, Love that pile of slab cuts,
I would have them on my surface sander the minute they are dry enough. :wink:

And Thanks Again

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I had broken blades when I first started. Then I was reading on Wood Web about blade tension and it mentioned most over tighten the the band saw mill blades. Since I backed way off on my blade tension I have not broken another blade.

AL

PCW
05-23-2009, 08:07 AM
BJ

Thanks for the patterns and the advice. Just a thought I notice your stacked lumber and it may be a good idea to move some of the wood stickers closer to the ends "within 1" of the ends). This helps prevent cracking and movement during the drying process.

Ken Massingale
05-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Nice!
What bandsaw mill do you have? I'm shopping for one.
Thanks

want2b
05-24-2009, 06:57 AM
two more scanned, stiil having problems getting MPW to Zip with any size reduction and haven't had time to dig into why. If anyone wants the MPW pls Pm with email & I'll send
Rick H

want2b
05-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Final two scanned, hoping to find more in the clean up.
Rick H

bjbethke
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry to be so long to respond to the questions, I had a lighting strike and I needed to reformat my computer. I was able to recover the files on my hard drive, but it took two days to get my programs reinstalled. The blessing in this is it gets rid of all the junk in the register. I used to reboot once a month when I was using Windows 98. Now I can use all the 30day trial programs again.

Thanks for all the good comments.
Ken - I did one carving on one of the oak slabs.

Kenm810
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
BJB,

Your carving looks terrific,
I really love the rustic appearance of a project
done on a piece of wood with the bark still on it.
Nice Job, I'll be looking forward to more of your
photos of finished projects. :smile:

bjbethke
05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice!
What bandsaw mill do you have? I'm shopping for one.
Thanks
Ken, I purchased my Band Saw Mill from Harbor Fright Tools it was a mill that was made by HUD-SON Forest Equipment, they don’t make a 16 inch mill any more, and there smallest one now is 18 inches. I wanted it small so I could move it around on my 10 acres. It sells for $1999.00 at HFT. I buy the blades from Wood Mizer. It uses a 111 inch 1.25” blade.

I can get replacement parts at www.hud-son.com I have a 12 foot track, maximum length log I can cut is 10 foot. I plan to build a four foot section so I can cut 12 foot logs. And add wheels to this section to move the saw head around.

It would be easy to build the mill, and buy the wheels and guide parts from HUD-SON. They sent me a parts list. And you could buy all the parts except the frame. The saw head weights about 300lbs. and the two six foot tracks weight about 100lbs. each.

bjbethke
05-25-2009, 08:36 PM
BJB,

Your carving looks terrific,
I really love the rustic appearance of a project
done on a piece of wood with the bark still on it.
Nice Job, I'll be looking forward to more of your
photos of finished projects. :smile:
Thanks Ken

The next one I will try to put a carve region about an inch inside the bark line. It would make a better carving. The first image I posted is the sled I used -1/4"mdf and 3.5" end boards. Side rails were not needed, I measured width at the widest part of the slab and centered project. (No tape used. sorry Al, you couldn’t make money on the tape.:)

bjbethke
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I had broken blades when I first started. Then I was reading on Wood Web about blade tension and it mentioned most over tighten the the band saw mill blades. Since I backed way off on my blade tension I have not broken another blade.

AL
Al, the blades broke with the first blades used. The saw manual stated 30lbs. and stated too tight or too loose will make the blade unstable and vibrate. I am now using 25 lbs. and am not seeing any more cracks in the blades, but they still get dull. Cutting into the log dogs is hard on the blades also. When the blade gets dull it follows the grain, then lifts the cant off the tracks. It happened two times.

bjbethke
05-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Its time to fish.

hess
05-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Sorry to be so long to respond to the questions, I had a lighting strike and I needed to reformat my computer. I was able to recover the files on my hard drive, but it took two days to get my programs reinstalled. The blessing in this is it gets rid of all the junk in the register. I used to reboot once a month when I was using Windows 98. Now I can use all the 30day trial programs again.

Thanks for all the good comments.
Ken - I did one carving on one of the oak slabs.

BJ those are so neat. look great. the one with the cedar is a carrier ?

Hess

bjbethke
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
BJ those are so neat. look great. the one with the cedar is a carrier ?

Hess
Hess, yes the image with cedar is the carrier (sled) I used to carve this. It was made with ¼” MDP board and two end boards 3.5” to keep this under the rollers.

The red lines show where I measured the carving and the place the CW "looks" at to measure it... The length is found when the rollers decompress.

No side rails or tape needed. – Worked great.

I oiled the carving to keep it from cracking when it dries. I held the slab to the carrier with two ¾ inch brass screws from the back outside the carver region.

hess
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks man I going to try using one. 7 inches add up after awhile

Hess

supershingler
05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
bj

do you know of any book or videos that help you learn to layout a log for cutting? i found out a couple of guys i know bought a sawmill but they dont have a clue about how to cut up a log for the best wood.

any help appreciated

kendall

fwharris
05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
bj

do you know of any book or videos that help you learn to layout a log for cutting? i found out a couple of guys i know bought a sawmill but they dont have a clue about how to cut up a log for the best wood.

any help appreciated

kendall

Kendall,

It took me a bit but I found this post from Kenm810. Hope it is what you were looking for..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=87452&postcount=21

badger
05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Google is your friend.

You can try this to start. Or visit a local mill and ask away. Met several in my area and one thing they like to do is talk and show their toys.

http://www.wolfgangbrinck.com/boats/woodlore/woodterminology.html

bjbethke
05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
bj

any help appreciated

kendall
You Tube has videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5vAupJqJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erkpAs1nSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z180auY05wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkiTWYXoWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EG_NbJB_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOYqIT8dkJ0

The WEB has a lot of free info on Saw Mills.

Rift Sawn 3 inch squares make great table legs. All four sides look about the same.

will george
05-29-2009, 04:01 AM
I just clicked on a button 'Post reply' and I had no idea how to post a new subject, whatever in ----> pattern sharing..

Anyway, I am NOT artistic.. Maybe just brain dead.. But I wanted to post something as an idea that others can use.

I find in some of my past posts that I could not send many things I wanted to because of file size? OK, I do not have to fill up my server!

I find that using the 60 or 90 degree 'V' bits can make carving fun!

I will state 'up front', I have no idea what I am doing.. Like me, as I am.. I do it anyway!

I had a BevalDragon.mpw that seems restricted in here? Why? < My work on top of others work!

Life is SO HARD! Every where Ya' go!

Dan-Woodman
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Aint it fun!!! The more you use it the easier it becomes in addition to learning new things and becoming more familiar with it.
later Daniel

RayTrek
05-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Here is my newest project started will update as I go along with it
As you can see I enjoy wilderness scenes and the parts will complement a painting in the works.
Here is the new tree created for the cabin.
Ray ver.1.134

Dan-Woodman
05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Ray
WOW!!!! Way to go Ray , that tree is fantastic. good job.
later Daniel

fwharris
05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Ray,

Nice job!! We can alway use more trees.. Your cabin looks very good as well....

bjbethke
05-31-2009, 02:38 AM
Anyone need an elephant?

chebytrk
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Anyone know what the POM is that's coming up tomorrow? Looking forward to it whatever it is!

Steven Alford
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
What's a POM?

AskBud
05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
What's a POM?

Pattern of the Month.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/cms/newsletter

mtylerfl
05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone know what the POM is that's coming up tomorrow? Looking forward to it whatever it is!

Hello,

The next Project of the Month is called "Mirrored Victorian Wall Rack"

The finished project dimensions are about 28½" wide x 10" tall. The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project File (included) Victorian_Wall_Rack_with_Mirror.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: .75" x 11.25" x 36

(NOTE: Do not use a board that is smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Four Shaker Posts (or 3/8” dowels)

4) Oval Mirror - obtained from your local glass shop (or cut yourself from a 12"x12" mirror tile)

5) Screws and inserts for wall mounting the rack

6) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

7) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my project made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• MinWax Stain (English Chestnut #233)

•Three coats of MinWax water-based Satin polycrylic,
spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry
sandpaper between coats.

hess
05-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Mike that is great, and I need one!

I got to glue up some Wood now

Thanks man
Hess

chebytrk
06-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey Mike,

The wood that I've purchased from Home Depot is 11" (.75x11x48). I know you mention that the latest POM can not be smaller size (POM is 11 1/4). Question.. can I just try to downsize the board size in the .mpc and it still work? Thanks....

chebytrk
06-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey Mike,

The wood that I've purchased from Home Depot is 11" (.75x11x48). I know you mention that the latest POM can not be smaller size (POM is 11 1/4). Question.. can I just try to downsize the board size in the .mpc and it still work? Thanks....

Sorry.... Home Depot Board size is .75x11x48 Don't know how that funny face got in there!

Azbear
06-01-2009, 07:29 AM
mtylerfl ,

Can you tell us what the approx carving time is on this pattern if we leave all settings as you carved it?

Hexe SA
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry.... Home Depot Board size is .75x11x48 Don't know how that funny face got in there!

add Masking Tape and on opposite side of LCD and let it stick over by 1/4 in. In general Mike doesn't have edge carvings and it will work. I haven't seen the lay-out, you can also reset the board to 11" in edit board preferences without having to resize anything.
Eva

chebytrk
06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
add Masking Tape and on opposite side of LCD and let it stick over by 1/4 in. In general Mike doesn't have edge carvings and it will work. I haven't seen the lay-out, you can also reset the board to 11" in edit board preferences without having to resize anything.
Eva

Great! I'll give it a try. Thanks

tablerock
06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyone have a Cleveland Cavs logo set up for carving?
Thanks

blantz
06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
tablerock,

Here are four Cleveland Cavs logos.

fatguy1965
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Anyone have anything on the Cincinnati Reds? I grew up with the Big Red Machine and its been rough being a fan the past few years but we've got a pretty good team this year!

mtylerfl
06-02-2009, 05:40 PM
mtylerfl ,

Can you tell us what the approx carving time is on this pattern if we leave all settings as you carved it?

Hello Azbear,

On BEST it's 3¾ hours...on OPTIMAL it's 8½ hours. I did two of them...one on each setting...I prefer the OPTIMAL setting.

It is setup for a two-sided carve. The back carve is simply the recess for the mirror. An option... you can delete the backside carve and mount the mirror directly on the flat backside instead of within a recess. Only saves about 7 minutes of carve time though.

Rogernlinda
06-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone out there have any patterns of a house. I am making a nameplate with a house on it and the last name of the newly weds.:roll:

blantz
06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
fatguy1965,

Here are some patterns of Cincinnati Reds logo and mascot.

want2b
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Does anyone out there have any patterns of a house. I am making a nameplate with a house on it and the last name of the newly weds.:roll:

Posted 2 house/business a couple of weeks ago here in the gallery if they are any help. A search on user or topic should bring them up.
Rick H.

fatguy1965
06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I was one that didn't check the lube on my CC when I got it. Burned the flexshaft in 4 hrs. I should have my new one Monday and will definately be using what you sent. Thanks again!

bjbethke
06-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Will this work?

hess
06-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Will this work?

Hey BJ you looking to sell any of your wood? Im looking for a bit of walnut Cedar and anything else you think would crave well

The Mill up there has basically told me He had orders there and could not help I would be up in about 3 weeks want to stop in anyway to say high.

Need a 1/2 ton PU load

Hess

Sorry about the hi jack

tablerock
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
tablerock,

Here are four Cleveland Cavs logos.

Thanks for your help!

Rogernlinda
06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Will this work?

Thanks for your help.:D

leesheridan
06-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Michael, once again you've hit another one out of the park.

Rogernlinda
06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
How is this?

Hello, does anyone know where I can find an emblem of Harley Davidson. I had a great one, but my system crashed and I lost it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rogernlinda;)

mabco12
06-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi does anyone have any chess patterns?

BobHill
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Was this the one you were looking for?
Bob Hill

fatguy1965
06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Here's a couple. Hope this helps!

bjbethke
06-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey BJ you looking to sell any of your wood? Im looking for a bit of walnut Cedar and anything else you think would crave well

The Mill up there has basically told me He had orders there and could not help I would be up in about 3 weeks want to stop in anyway to say high.

Need a 1/2 ton PU load

Hess

Sorry about the hi jack
Your welcome to stop by, we should find some boards you like.

Need a MPC? - got to make it pattern sharing or Jeff gets mad :)

bjbethke
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Hello, does anyone know where I can find an emblem of Harley Davidson. I had a great one, but my system crashed and I lost it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rogernlinda;)
This one work?

bjbethke
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi does anyone have any chess patterns?
Here is a link. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11031&highlight=Chess

Old Salt
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
search form for chessmen or chess there is some patt

usd5000000
06-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Does anyone have any Chicago sports teams? Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls, Sox?

Thanks,
Jeff

fwharris
06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Here is a web site where you can get just about any sports team logo that you can think of..http://www.sportslogos.net/index.php.

Most are simple to convert into a carving pattern.

Rogernlinda
06-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Here ya go. I think I got them right here on the forum.

Thank you very much for the Harley items.

RogernLinda

Rogernlinda
06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
This one work?

Thanks so much.

RogernLinda;)

Shawnf2
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Got the pattern of the month and the files empty,called CW, said they knew of the problem and are sending new links today incase, anyone had the same problems.P.S. that was this morning and I'm still waiting

Shawn

swhitney
06-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Got the pattern of the month and the files empty,called CW, said they knew of the problem and are sending new links today incase, anyone had the same problems.P.S. that was this morning and I'm still waiting

Shawn

FYI - I used the original link in the original e-mail once the problem had been fixed, and worked fine.

fairydust
06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for sharing your patterns and photos. It really helps a beginner like myself, machine owner of a couple of days. Someday, hopefully in the near future, I will be able to share with you.

Does anyone have any woodland animals to share... raccoons, squirrels, etc.?
Any LSU fans with any LSU things like a tiger, LSU helmet or banner?

AskBud
06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank you all for sharing your patterns and photos. It really helps a beginner like myself, machine owner of a couple of days. Someday, hopefully in the near future, I will be able to share with you.

Here is a fast link to the main storage of Gallery attachments.
Check on each one that sound like something you want to look at. They will not go away in the near future.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

fairydust
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Here is a fast link to the main storage of Gallery attachments.
Check on each one that sound like something you want to look at. They will not go away in the near future.
AskBud

Thank you. I'll certainly spend time going through these patterns and the teaching tools.

bjbethke
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM

This work for LSU?

AskBud
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
This work for LSU?

That's good, could/would you re-post just the Tiger face?
AskBud

bjbethke
06-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Tiger head

bjbethke
06-09-2009, 12:49 AM
How about the whole tiger.

bjbethke
06-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Farm boy with ducks

CraigR
06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Marine corps.

CraigR
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
And here is a tiger.

CraigR
06-10-2009, 12:49 PM
A howling wolf.

CraigR
06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Frog on a Lilly pad.

CraigR
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Here is a nice flourish.

CraigR
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Here is a duck in flight. If you like any of my ptn's a thank you is always appreciated.

PCW
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Graig & BJ

Thanks for sharing the great patterns.

Kenm810
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Craig,

Great .ptn files, Thanks for Sharing
I've been looking for a Frog and Lillypad file
for a sign Barb want's to put by our little fish pond
in the backyard. :grin:

dsw3
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
craig i think u do an excellent job i wish i was that talented what r u using to create ur patterns

CraigR
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I use many different ones and like zbrush

skeeterman
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
thanks for sharing Craig, that is an awsome duck ptn
steve

GrammaPam
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Craig and all you others (you know who you are and so do the rest of us) who share so generously. Most of us don't say thank you enough so I'll stop and say it now.
THANK YOU, and YOU and YOU and YOU.
G.P.

henry1
06-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Hello,

The next Project of the Month is called "Mirrored Victorian Wall Rack"

The finished project dimensions are about 28½" wide x 10" tall. The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project File (included) Victorian_Wall_Rack_with_Mirror.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: .75" x 11.25" x 36

(NOTE: Do not use a board that is smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Four Shaker Posts (or 3/8” dowels)

4) Oval Mirror - obtained from your local glass shop (or cut yourself from a 12"x12" mirror tile)

5) Screws and inserts for wall mounting the rack

6) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

7) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my project made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• MinWax Stain (English Chestnut #233)

•Three coats of MinWax water-based Satin polycrylic,
spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry
sandpaper between coats.
were is this pattern

swhitney
06-11-2009, 08:14 AM
it is the Project of the Month Subscription. Some of these subscriptions become available in the "project Store" at a later date, and apparently, it aint later enuf yet.....

RayTrek
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
I started this off with, “I think I can” It was a little harder to do then I first predicted
But it was fun. I hope to carve this today I have only been doing commission projects lately.
Thanks every one ho has given your great patterns there is some really cool project fun
Cheers to you
Ray – Photoshop cs2 and designer 1.134

Kenm810
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Here's a CW Designer.ptn from this afternoon,
that I'm planning to carvein Eastern Hard Maple.

dsw3
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
thought u guys might like this. saw it on a picture

RayTrek
06-12-2009, 06:58 PM
This is for a cabinet craftsmen, customer for his medicine cabinet and wanted to do a test carve, I would have used Michaels heron I believe it is his, but was not what he wanted so I created this one. The piece he gave me to carve is figured maple.
the pic carve has a 12" x 6" oval with a carve region @ 0.350 depth and a
1/4" feather the heron is set to best and a 999 height.

Ken, that is a very cool frame I may be carving that one soon
Cheers-
Ray

will george
06-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Loved the Engine but you forgot the Caboose!
Yes.. they no longer have one on trains these days...

I for one loved it!

JVallario
06-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Marine corps.

Thank you - I may use this on a memorial to my Father.

CraigR
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Your very welcome.

henry1
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
would any body have a holstein cow pattern :) not a jersy cow need one holstein black and white thank you in advance

AskBud
06-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Henry1,
Remember that Black makes "Holes or Deep Depressions".
Be very careful with your color variation(s) on the cow.
AskBud

fatguy1965
06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
I have had my Compucarve for a few weeks now. I have made my share of mistakes and learned from them enough to complete a few projects.

I'm 44 and have played guitar since age 9 so I am chomping at the bit to attempt a guitar body. I will buy the neck!

Anyone know where I can buy a full guitar body pattern?

BobHill
06-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I think perhaps one of your best sources might be "Liquid Guitars", who is a luthier and been around here for a long time.
Bob Hill

bjbethke
06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Henry1,
Remember that Black makes "Holes or Deep Depressions".
Be very careful with your color variation(s) on the cow.
AskBud
Bud when I saw this ... it fits your post :)

AskBud
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Here is a possible solution to the pesky hole(s).

1) Outlone the area and apply a Carve region the same depth & height as the rest of the figure.
2) Now, "Select", and apply, a texture such as "Checkering" and set the interval at 0.001.
3) The area should now appear different than the rest of the figure.
AskBud

DocWheeler
06-18-2009, 05:05 PM
BJ,

That was funny! I really liked that!

henry1
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Bud when I saw this ... it fits your post :)

That is a good one thank you will make :pthat one tomorrow

robbrigg2
06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey all. Here is a plaque I did for a T-ball team and one.

Also,

for those doing faces, I found a program that will do 3-d heads from a front and side picture. See if you like it. Kim Kommando (Radio Computer geek) recommend it on her site. It's free and I have found the imported pictures look fantatic in the design program.

Here is the progam web site www.looxis.com the progam is Faceworks. Enjoy

RayTrek
06-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Here is a mounting pedestal that I did for some projects and a pic of one carved
Cheers and happy fathers day
Ray

BobHill
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Ray,
Is the sculpture from the Remington collection or did you carve that from an image from the Remington collection? It's beautiful and I wonder if it's available from some source, I'd sure be interested in it The pedestal really fits, Well done. Both the Indian and base are exquisite.
Bob Hill

RayTrek
06-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Hello Bob
I have the pattern available in the store it was created with many hours in photo shop modeled from some American Indian art I have.
Thanks for the interest.
Ray

PCW
06-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Ray

Great patterns any chance the Indian and horse could be a double sided carve.

BobHill
06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
If one has the pattern, certainly it can be double sided carved and it would (or should) do it accurately.
Bob Hill

Old Cop
06-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Ray
The indian is beautiful.Like the base also.

MrFTAMan
06-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Also,

for those doing faces, I found a program that will do 3-d heads from a front and side picture. See if you like it. Kim Kommando (Radio Computer geek) recommend it on her site. It's free and I have found the imported pictures look fantatic in the design program.

Thank you for this software! :)
Have you any pictures of some projects you did using this software?

robbrigg2
06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Thank you for this software! :)
Have you any pictures of some projects you did using this software?

I have projects ready to cut, but I am waiting on new bits and my rock chuck - they come tomorow so I will have something up soon. But play with it and you will find it imports wonderfully with very good details. I hope you enjoy it.

jpaluck
06-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Still messing around with portraits in zbrush. Here is my attempt at John Wayne. Made another one earlier of a family photo came out well in 3d. Dont have the time like i used to..man I miss it. Love playing with the software. Still have a ways to go with faces and learning the art behind the sculpting, but not bad for a guy can only draw stick figures.

James RS
06-21-2009, 07:20 PM
That's nice rendering of the Duke, Nice job!

fwharris
06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Not to bad for a tender foot!!! :p

jpaluck
06-21-2009, 09:21 PM
LOL thanks Floyd

Wilbur
06-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Also,

On this program which did you download. I seen where some were to pay for?

Dolores

jpaluck
06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
had a little more time to play around today

supershingler
06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
what timing you have jp

i just got asked to build a baptism stand for a native american church that our church helped to build a new church building for.

i think i have enough cross and other pattern to make a nice one

ill post pictures when im done

the jesus pattern will work out great.

thanks

kendall

ChrisAlb
06-23-2009, 06:57 AM
had a little more time to play around today

John,

You just keep getting better and better my friend. Thanks so much for this. It will make a great addition to the cross project I have to do...http://www.forexfactory.com/images/smilies/yim/thumbsup.gif

rickyz
06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
I am in need of a 101st airborne pattern. a friend of mind asked me to make her a keepsake box for someone who has passed away that served in vietnam. I need to have this done by friday so I have my work cut out for me. no pun intended. I could make one myself but I am on a real short time frame. any help would be great. thank you guys in advance.
Rick

rickyz
06-23-2009, 08:33 AM
made my own, thanks anyways. hope someone else can find this useful.

andes
06-23-2009, 08:41 AM
see if this will work for you.

CraigR
06-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Here is a nice little horse head.

CraigR
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM
A goofy cow

STEAM
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
This has been a day that I will never forget. It's the same as the day Elvis died. I have been a fan of Michael Jackson ever since his career began. Regardless of
all the controversy that he faced in life, he was an extraordinary artist. This is my small tribute to a man who I am the same age as but have in no way nor will I ever be able to accomplish the things he has. R.I.P MJ. :(

Hexe SA
06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Carved and painted.
Eva

mtylerfl
06-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Carved and painted.
Eva

Very nice job!

RayTrek
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Have been going threw the archives of unfinished patterns and came across this one, thought some of you may like to have it
Thanks for all the great patterns I have from here
Later Ray – version 1.134

will george
06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Some very small pictures I have of my project.

Two sort of China poster beds for my adoped little girls. I think they are VERY specal! And I thought a bed for each would be special..

Old Salt
06-30-2009, 08:15 PM
how could the not love them . I think there Great

Pratyeka
07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Here's a Yin Yang symbol I made with MOI.

Dhaffner
07-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I made this from the ghostbuster logo...but had to modify it quite a bit to get the look I wanted. Enjoy.
Doug

fhoward2
07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I am looking for a panda pattern for a friend of mines daughters b-day present. I did a search but it appeared to be a koala bear in the tree. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Pratyeka
07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
this came out very nice after a bit of de-fuzzing. 1" thick pine. 51 min carving time on best setting. Find the .mpc here (http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=94895&postcount=1409)

drwatkins
07-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm looking for the characters of the nursery rhyme "hey diddle diddle the cat and the fiddle". Can anyone help me?

AskBud
07-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm looking for the characters of the nursery rhyme "hey diddle diddle the cat and the fiddle". Can anyone help me?

Here is a start.
Look at the coloring pages.
AskBud
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/mother-goose-nursery-rhymes/the-cat-and-the-fiddle.html

ajk
07-03-2009, 06:37 AM
i saw you blog and is amazing, i love the buda face,\
ajk & hilda

rickyz
07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
is there anyone out there that can make a 3d model from this? I found a model but I can't spend the 175.00 to get the model. just kind of looking for a 3d patter for this. any help would be appreciated. my 3d modeling abilities are not quite there yet. Thanks.
Rick

rickyz
07-04-2009, 11:22 AM
is there anyone out there that can make a 3d model from this? I found a model but I can't spend the 175.00 to get the model. just kind of looking for a 3d patter for this. any help would be appreciated. my 3d modeling abilities are not quite there yet. Thanks.
Rick

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I am trying to make something similar to the attached. Does anyone have a .ptn of the filigree type pattern you see extending between the front legs of this mini-table?? Anything that would be Celtic or Chinese in design. Thanks

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I am trying to make something similar to the attached. Does anyone have a .ptn of the filigree type pattern you see extending between the front legs of this mini-table?? Anything that would be Celtic or Chinese in design. Thanks

I'll give it a go usin MOI. Back in a few...

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Steve, here's what I came up with, quick and easy, tell me what you think.

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Did you do that in the new version 1.15?

Pratyeka
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Did you do that in the new version 1.15?

ah, yes I did.
Actually, you could use the image to create your own ptn, if you have not installed the 1.15.

AskBud
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Steve,
Give yourself more credit. Sometimes, think in reverse.
Here is some food for thought.
Work on the holes (and some lines). Make your holes (Cut-Outs) for just half the design. If one spans the center, make it extend, slightly, into the other side. Once you like what you have on the Left, HIGHLIGHT everything and MIRROR to the Right.

All I did for the Red & Blue line is assign the same 1/8" cutting bit at 0.063

Now all you have remaining is you board edge (on the CW or by hand).
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Bud,
That was my first attempt. But I have since come up with some of the patterns from the Designer Library- filligrees. Checkout my other post in the software section and see if you can answer my question there.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=95458#post95458 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=95458#post95458)

AskBud
07-05-2009, 06:02 PM
As others have said, your carve needs to be less deep.
Again, think of the holes. Highlight the pattern and select "Outline". That will give you three closed areas. Now you may select them, one at a time and cut the hole (perhaps Pierce in newer versions).

Now, all you have left is what to do under the lower edge of the pattern.
AskBud

Steven Alford
07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Thank you Bud, that is exactly what I needed. And as for the bottom part, I suppose my only option there is to hand cut them out?

will george
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
If you need some artwork to start with I would suggest Dover publications.

No, I do not work for them OR receive any income from them. I just love all the images.

Look for the vector books with the CD images.....

http://store.doverpublications.com/

And get the free stuff they offer by E-Mail about every week.. Just some advertisements once in a while with books they offer.

I am sure with all they offer, you will find something you like!

Steven Alford
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you Will. I did a search for Chinese lattice and that is one of the sites that it took me to and, yes, there are some very nice CD/Books on lattice. I have also been signed up for Mary Davis' Dover Publications free clip art for quite some time now. My only problem with that is that you get more ads than you do art. But still worth it.
At the present time I do not want to put out any money for things I do not absolutely need, as it seems I will be looking for a job for the rest of my life!!!

will george
07-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Colorado Springs..

My Son lives there with his wife that I think she hated me for some reason..

I think my Son got a wonderfull wife from Welch folks.. I liked her but for some reason she hated me..

I can live with that as long as my Son loves her!

Dan-Woodman
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Will
That Dover site you referred to and the vector images on cd. Did you mean the coloring books or is there "vector" images that can be used with cw designer?
later Daniel

tablerock
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I wanted to make a project for my niece who loves horses and am in need of some horse patterns if anybody out there has some. I could use a nice horse head, or running mustangs or even some horseshoes. If anybody can share anything I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
KV

AskBud
07-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I wanted to make a project for my niece who loves horses and am in need of some horse patterns if anybody out there has some. I could use a nice horse head, or running mustangs or even some horseshoes. If anybody can share anything I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
KV

Go down the list looking for what may work.
AskBud

Dan-Woodman
07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Bud
Where is this list available. I was thinking someone once said there was a paperclip or something you could click on, but I don't see it . i clicked on your link, but where would I find this anytime I needed it without looking for this link. Thanks
later Daniel

PCW
07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Dan

Just go to the CarveWright Users Forum > Users > Gallery > In the first Sticky click on the paper clip.

AskBud
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Bud
Where is this list available. I was thinking someone once said there was a paperclip or something you could click on, but I don't see it . i clicked on your link, but where would I find this anytime I needed it without looking for this link. Thanks
later Daniel
Open the Forum and drop down to the Gallery and click. The thread titled "Pattern Sharing depot" has over 1400 replies. That is the one you may wish to start with (it's the one in my reply). Any paper clip works the same way, so there may be other occasions to look elsewhere. The main rub, is not everyone thinks the same when they name their attachments. Therefore, we need to go down the alphabet looking for alternate names that may be on our wish list.

PS: While you have the "Main" list open, highlight the URL, hold down CTRL and push "C" ( for Copy). Now open a blank Internet Explorer page and PASTE (use CTRL "V" if needed). Open that page, and then save it to your Favorites, and you may drive directly to it at will.
AskBud

gomjabar
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I am really new, so please don't be too brutal. My lisenced computer is down, so until repaired I've just been reading posts and experimenting. So here is my rendition of Betty in grey. (approx: 9"H x 8"L). Think it will carve? I hope it attaches. How do I include a preview pic? Don't understand URL's.

rickyz
07-07-2009, 01:47 PM
this is what it would look like without any editing. just loaded it up as is. could use some tweaking and should be fine.

bjbethke
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I am really new, so please don't be too brutal. My lisenced computer is down, so until repaired I've just been reading posts and experimenting. So here is my rendition of Betty in grey. (approx: 9"H x 8"L). Think it will carve? I hope it attaches. How do I include a preview pic? Don't understand URL's.
If you have the pattern editor, I think it would look best with the background and noise removed in the image. Then use some draft in the MPC so your lines will not chip out.

gomjabar
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. Just as I thought though, converting the bmp to jpg lost most of the grey scale. The original bmp is 900+mb and there are 4 shades of grey plus black. The renderings you retrieved look great but ther're basically line drawings. I need a zip program to send you the proper bmp. I hate jpg; everything seems to get lost in the conversion from bmp. I'll resend Betty when I can zip the image. Sorry to waste your time(s).

AskBud
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys. Just as I thought though, converting the bmp to jpg lost most of the grey scale. The original bmp is 900+mb and there are 4 shades of grey plus black. The renderings you retrieved look great but ther're basically line drawings. I need a zip program to send you the proper bmp. I hate jpg; everything seems to get lost in the conversion from bmp. I'll resend Betty when I can zip the image. Sorry to waste your time(s).

Do not worry about wasting time, Trial & Error is how we learn.
When you play with a face, remember that "Black" hair means a "Deep" carve rather than standing out, from the face, as it should. You may do yourself a favor by thinking shades of "Blonde" textures for a better carve.
AskBud

earlyrider
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Here's a pattern from a scan I did a year ago, using the probe. I'm going to scan with the laser scanner shortly, to compare.
Its a trilobite from the Silica shale of western Ohio, Devonian age. Hope you might like it.
Ron

will george
07-08-2009, 06:09 AM
"vector" images that can be used with cw designer?

Loaded question. To me, almost any image needs work before using it in the CW Designer/Pattern Editor.
Dover has thousands of books of all types. As to images about any type you can think of. Maybe I should have said source images to work with. Some of the books come with a CD full of the collections within the book. I mentioned Vectors because I like that format better than bitmaps jpg etc.

And example of the books.
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486990214.html

You could spend days looking for books they have.

Hope that helps. Again, I receive nothing from Dover Publications.

will george
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Sir..

I'll give it a go usin MOI ..
Please excuse my stupidity. What is MOI?

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
3D modeling software, do a google search and you can see it.

will george
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
A link would be nice! I am tired of net searches! LOL...
I tried MOI and came up with goldfish!

Steven Alford
07-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Sorry about that, here you go.

http://moi3d.com/

NevadaDailySteve
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
My first project was a simple Missouri plaque. I'm looking for a couple of things though, a KU Jayhawk and a KC Chiefs helmet.

I've been looking through and have picked up some great stuff. I hope in the future to be able to share some of my own.

AskBud
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Have you gone here to see what you may find?
AskBud

robbrigg2
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Here is a great sports resource for logo's etc.

http://www.sportslogos.net/index.php

Someone else posted it and I found it helpful.

William Blankenship
07-13-2009, 05:52 AM
... trilobite from the Silica shale of western Ohio, Devonian age...

Thanks for sharing. I like!!

gomjabar
07-14-2009, 06:38 AM

gomjabar
07-14-2009, 06:46 AM
All my words went away. That Tribal has a problem. Holes! It won't affect the plaque, but it may affect my future work. It's created from a pure blemish free B&W drawing. The board is .147". I've scrolled this plaque now I want to see what the CW can do. Any remedies?

bjbethke
07-14-2009, 11:54 AM
All my words went away. That Tribal has a problem. Holes! It won't affect the plaque, but it may affect my future work. It's created from a pure blemish free B&W drawing. The board is .147". I've scrolled this plaque now I want to see what the CW can do. Any remedies?
Looks like you have lots of noise in your PTN. How did you create your pattern?, you should see the noise if you made it with the pattern editor. Use the “NO Color” function. Then you should see all the extra black spots.

If you carve this MPC you will have loose parts. This may damage your CW machine. You would need a “SLED” to carve this. You board is less then ½ inches thick.

You could post a copy of the image. The noise may have been generated when you removed the background of your image.

Tom75
07-16-2009, 09:00 PM
here are a few patterns i have been working on . still trying to clean them up better . if any one would like to try I'm am posting the pics i do not have patterns of them yet tho.

NevadaDailySteve
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I've had my machine for five days now and I'm having a blast. It's still very much a learning experience for me and I am getting some valuable experience on the machine. I've been on vacation but unfortunately Monday it's back to the salt mine. But when I go back I'll have something to hang on the wall behind my desk. I got one of our graphic artists to send me the logo for the paper and I made a plaque for myself. I've attached it to this message.

I do have a question about it though.

I chose to outline my name and "General Reporter" text and it showed up on the software but when I uploaded it to the card and carved it the outline showed up but not my name or General Reporter. I deleted everything except the text and changed it to raster and inverted it then carved just the text on the same board. It turned out better than I had any right to expect.
What did I do wrong that my name didn't show up?

AskBud
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I've had my machine for five days now and I'm having a blast. It's still very much a learning experience for me and I am getting some valuable experience on the machine. I've been on vacation but unfortunately Monday it's back to the salt mine. But when I go back I'll have something to hang on the wall behind my desk. I got one of our graphic artists to send me the logo for the paper and I made a plaque for myself. I've attached it to this message.

I do have a question about it though.

I chose to outline my name and "General Reporter" text and it showed up on the software but when I uploaded it to the card and carved it the outline showed up but not my name or General Reporter. I deleted everything except the text and changed it to raster and inverted it then carved just the text on the same board. It turned out better than I had any right to expect.
What did I do wrong that my name didn't show up?

I think we would need to see the original MPC to be able to give you first hand advice. It could be any number of things, but you said you changed to "Raster" which leads me to think the original was in Centerline, and may have been in a recessed area.
AskBud

NevadaDailySteve
07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I think we would need to see the original MPC to be able to give you first hand advice. It could be any number of things, but you said you changed to "Raster" which leads me to think the original was in Centerline, and may have been in a recessed area.
AskBud

I don't have Centerline. I thought about it but I decided that it wasn't necessary right now and I could use the hundred bucks elsewhere until I gained some experience.

The only choice I have for text is raster or outline. I chose outline the first time and all that showed up on the carving was the outside outline and not the outline of individual letters as was displayed on the mpc

I've attached the mpc

Thanks for such a fast response,

Steve

PCW
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
It does look better in CenterLine text.

AskBud
07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't have Centerline. I thought about it but I decided that it wasn't necessary right now and I could use the hundred bucks elsewhere until I gained some experience.

The only choice I have for text is raster or outline. I chose outline the first time and all that showed up on the carving was the outside outline and not the outline of individual letters as was displayed on the mpc

I've attached the mpc

Thanks for such a fast response,

Steve

Steve,
From what I see your original text was Outline, as you said. It appears that you, or the system, assigned the 90 degree bit at a depth of .063.

I changed the bit to the 60 degree and it defaulted to a depth of .250. I changed that to a more reasonable depth of .125. I also increase the text spacing to a ten (10). All this was done without moving away from Outline.

The reason that Raster seemed to work better was that you probably worked/played with it more than you did the Outline. When you have this type situation again, look first to the depth of that carve. In both Raster and Outline, you may set your depth. Just be aware of which bit you select and the width of the "taper" of that bit. If you place either of these in a carved/recessed area your settings will need to be altered as well.
AskBud

AskBud
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
It does look better in CenterLine text.

If and when Steve purchases Centerline, he may very well select that option.
AskBud

bjbethke
07-18-2009, 05:14 AM
here are a few patterns i have been working on . still trying to clean them up better . if any one would like to try I'm am posting the pics i do not have patterns of them yet tho.
Will this help; your images had a lot of noise in them; I enlarged them and cleaned them up some.

gomjabar
07-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the help on the "hole" problem. I did find 2 finite smudges on the drawing! And, yes, I will be using a sled. Now for lettering. How do I make simple raised lettering without the sunken or inverted effect. Bud you do do it in your tutorials all the time, but don't explain how.

As you can see my letters are raised but at the same time sunken beneath the surface of the plane of the board. I know shaving the entire surface of the board is required; just tell me how.

AskBud
07-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm away from home, so I can not make a video.

Start by making a carved recessed area around the text you wish to raise.
If you wish the entire board to appear as raised, make the carved recess as large, or larger than the needed end product. Then you may "cut out" the board with the CW or by hand.
AskBud

Kenm810
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Like Bud just mentioned, Adding a carve region to make you text stand out, Something like this.
Plus it might be a good idea to add a little Draft to your Text -- to help keep it from chipping out. :wink:

Tom75
07-18-2009, 11:41 AM
bjbethke those are perfect . unable to open patterns because I'm still using 1.32 thank you i plain on making these for my niece for Christmas shes a huge six fan and one of the guys i work with has a room in his house that is just red six stuff and does not have any thing like this in the room

tablerock
07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Anybody have a nice Basketball or Volleyball related carvings? I have searched but haven't seemed to find any.
Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

AskBud
07-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Anybody have a nice Basketball or Volleyball related carvings? I have searched but haven't seemed to find any.

Try here first.
AskBud

Ike
07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Will this work?
Ike

tablerock
07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Will this work?
Ike

It said it was corrupt and wouldn't open.

tablerock
07-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Try here first.
AskBud

Thanks, but I did and didn't find anything.

RayTrek
07-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Hello

There are five patterns I created, and built into a MPC I grouped them and created one pattern. The fishing pole was acquired from here and will not be used in the master plan carve. I am working on a line of Fish stories for the Columbia River Locks fish hatchery gift shop, hopefully when this one is done it will be two sided and have a pole in hand with a fish on and rocks front to back.
Well Here is the front side pattern on a MPC file, have not built the other side yet I may use the same pattern and have bear's back to back.
Just having fun – Ray

Ike
07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
It said it was corrupt and wouldn't open.
Hmm I reloaded it and I opened it just fine? Did anybody else have a problem opening the file?

Ike

PCW
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey Ike,

How it going at the fair? The file opened OK for me. Thanks

PCW
07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Ray,

The mpc looks great as always. Thanks for sharing

Ike
07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Ike,

How it going at the fair? The file opened OK for me. Thanks

Good I am glad the file is good, the fair is not too good for signs, but the soda wagon is doing great! People are not buying high priced items, but they are going for the soda and it is Hot!!

Sunny California!!
Ike

want2b
07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Tried it just for curiousity, message was basically 'Unrecognised format'. I'm still back on 1.132, am guessing Ike is using the latest. Got a feeling the version is causing the problem. I'm on a dial-up so upgrading via download ain't going to happen and what I do works fine so I'll call in some day and get a later version shipped, just seems every time I start to do it people seem to have problems with the latest. No biggy.
Luck, Rick H.

Ike
07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Tried it just for curiousity, message was basically 'Unrecognised format'. I'm still back on 1.132, am guessing Ike is using the latest. Got a feeling the version is causing the problem. I'm on a dial-up so upgrading via download ain't going to happen and what I do works fine so I'll call in some day and get a later version shipped, just seems every time I start to do it people seem to have problems with the latest. No biggy.
Luck, Rick H.

That is it I am using 1.150 format so to download the file you need to upgrade. I am sorry I tried to go back but the format 1.134 I downloaded would not let me import patterns so I went back to 1.150.

So far no problems.

Ike

tablerock
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the basketball I got it to work with the update on my software.
:D

Ike
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the basketball I got it to work with the update on my software.
:D

You are certainly welcomed anytime! My patterns are not the best, but the price is right!

Ike

fwharris
07-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello

There are five patterns I created, and built into a MPC I grouped them and created one pattern. The fishing pole was acquired from here and will not be used in the master plan carve. I am working on a line of Fish stories for the Columbia River Locks fish hatchery gift shop, hopefully when this one is done it will be two sided and have a pole in hand with a fish on and rocks front to back.
Well Here is the front side pattern on a MPC file, have not built the other side yet I may use the same pattern and have bear's back to back.
Just having fun – Ray

Ray,

Great MPC!! I've got a good friend who collects bears and this will be a real good one for him!!

Thanks for sharing!!

atauer
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey RingNeck,

http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002017B.gif

Ike
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey RingNeck,

Yes happy birthday Mr. Harris!! Funny when we were younger we got excited when we had a birthday. Now it means we are just getting older! So I have stopped having them!

Enjoy your day my friend!!

Ike

fwharris
07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey RingNeck,

Well thanks guys!!!

I look at it this way, having another Bday is better than the alternative!!

Ike
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Lol that is so true!!

Ike

badger
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey RingNeck,

Careful with his eyesight at his age he might read that as Redneck :mrgreen:

Happy BDay buddy

fwharris
07-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Careful with his eyesight at his age he might read that as Redneck :mrgreen:

Happy BDay buddy

Thanks Badger!!! Just to let you know my 20/20 hind site works just fine!!:-D

Here is another little quote for us old farts!!!

"Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
- Jack Benny

badger
07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
my 20/20 hind site works just fine!!:-D

"20/20 hind sight" lmao nice

Kenm810
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Congrates fwharris,

Funny you mentioned his Name

All his life Jack Benny always insisted, He was only "39"

I'm with him -- next month I be ignoring the 27 anniversary
of my "39th" birthday. :razz:

TerryT
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
The big six oh,. Same age as me. Mine was back in January. I hope yours is as enjoyable as mine was.

RayTrek
07-20-2009, 08:34 PM
First off Happy Birthday “RingNeckBlues” I know your only 39 and a few months
Cheers to FWHarris.

A couple pic’s of the carved fishing bear and the sitting fat and happy bear pattern, I think it is one of my better patterns, I am getting quite the library of pattern, parts that I add into sketching and some photo shop tweaking and painting and a bunch of hours and there you have it.
The fishing carve is 10.700 X 6.300 at 5.500 depth 999 height 1/4 feather.
Later ~ Ray, ver 1.150

gomjabar
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you for help on the lettering. I now understand regions. However, the more I read the more I become gun shy. I'm almost ready to carve when I discovered that I need to add 3/4 inch to the top of my carving. Not only the 3.5" to each side. This is per the April 08 Tips & Tricks. How come? In fact, the suggested jig shows another 3/4" to the bottom. That is an additional 1.5" to the overall width. (CW Tech Spec:the minimum width is 1.5" minus .75" equals .75" carveable). I've gotta be reading something wrong! I just don't want to throw a chunk a wood into the machine and hope for the best. I want to get it right. So excuse the dumb questions, I have more.

AskBud
07-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you for help on the lettering. I know understand regions. However, the more I read the more I become gun shy. I'm almost ready to carve when I discovered that I need to add 3/4 inch to the top of my carving. Not only the 3.5" to each side. This is per the April 08 Tips & Tricks. How come? In fact, the suggested jig shows another 3/4" to the bottom. That is an additional 1.5" to the overall width. (CW Tech Spec:the minimum width is 1.5" minus .75" equals .75" carveable). I've gotta be reading something wrong! I just don't want to throw a chunk a wood into the machine and hope for the best. I want to get it right. So excuse the dumb questions, I have more.

You must consider the "Rails" you will have remaining, for the "rollers to maintain compression. We would need to know more about your project, Perhaps seeing the MPC would help. Be aware that "Cut-outs" close to the edge of the board do not play well, and carves that run along the edge (or fully across the width) will cause the rollers to drop and abort or otherwise ruin your project.
AskBud

fwharris
07-20-2009, 11:32 PM
"20/20 hind sight" lmao nice

Ok Badgerspellchecker you got me again!!!! Just to let you know I did fix what you caught on my web page...

Ken,

Does that put me 6 aniv. behind you?:cool:

Terry,

Sorry I missed yours! Mine was/has been a great day, thanks

Ray,

Thanks for posting the ptn and pictures. Great job on the photographic set up!

will george
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you for this wonerful work.
In my mind, very original and fun to look at...

My nephew is a fishing a 'nut' and I will make this work for his fishing boat. I am sure he will enjoy it.. He has all sorts of carved fish and things he buys. Some of those carvings are VERY expensive. His wife just puts up with his fishing thing...

Now how to get a wooden panel from his boat (for sizing) while he is not looking? I'll contact his wife and I'll do it while he is working. He travels most of the week so I should be able to pull it off and still have time for the finish to cure and replace the existing panel with the carving.

He is a wonderful 'young whippersnapper' so I'm sure he will not be upset by me 'messin' with his boat. I will keep the original panel 'just in case'...

I'm carving a test in one inch thick walnut at the moment. I 'think' the panel I have in mind on his boat is walnut wood or at least looks like it. Although I am not sure of the thickness of the panel I will replace with the carving. Why I am making it one inch thick. I will do the carving just as if it were 3/4 inch thick wood and bandsaw off the back when I know how thick I need the final carving. I have a picture of a boat just like his and a neighbor has the same boat but a bit fancier that his.. I'll go knock on his door and see if he will allow me to measure things and maybe even remove the panel I have in mind...

Should work out, I hope.. Most folks are really much more than just nice if you 'ask' and give a reasonable answer as to 'why'. Never met the man in person but have waved to him several times as I drove by if he was in the front yard...

This may be FUN!

gomjabar
07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Here is a simple name plate with overall board dimensions of 21.5" x 2.5" x 0.5". This falls well over the 1.5" minimum. With the 3.5" on each end it'll be beneath rollers at all times. And there is no cutout near the rail edge. In fact, theer cutouts at all. I still refer to the Apr 08 "Tips & Tricks" that indicates the example requires .75" both top and bottom. Because I have a 6" USAF emblem on a square 7" board. Is it going to require the additional 1.5"? Again no cutouts. Does the machine add the .75" to the project created in designer? Again the "Apr 08" would indicate it will. I'll forward the excerpt if you'd like. It raises more questions than it answers.24823

AskBud
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Here is a simple name plate with overall board dimensions of 21.5" x 2.5" x 0.5". This falls well over the 1.5" minimum. With the 3.5" on each end it'll be beneath rollers at all times. And there is no cutout near the rail edge. In fact, theer cutouts at all. I still refer to the Apr 08 "Tips & Tricks" that indicates the example requires .75" both top and bottom. Because I have a 6" USAF emblem on a square 7" board. Is it going to require the additional 1.5"? Again no cutouts. Does the machine add the .75" to the project created in designer? Again the "Apr 08" would indicate it will. I'll forward the excerpt if you'd like. It raises more questions than it answers.24823

If this is the correct MPC, you may need to rethink your design or be using a sled or both.

As I see it:
1) I see a carve region around your entier project (no Rails).
2) The board is smaller than the carve region.
3) The only raise (normal board) area appears to be the text.
4) Without rails (sled or no), the rollers will drop several times giving you fatal alarms.
AskBud

CraigR
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Here is a sign bord I was messing with for a guy if anyone wants it.

Kenm810
07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice One,Craig,

Thanks For Sharing it with Us. :grin:

will george
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
AskBud

If I do center on both X/Y axis.. Is there a way to cancel both to move the objects after I do that?

I would like to use center on both and then move the object group at will to different places...

gomjabar
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Got it. Now what about that .75"? I'll link the AF emblem. It's similar, just larger.

AskBud
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
AskBud

If I do center on both X/Y axis.. Is there a way to cancel both to move the objects after I do that?

I would like to use center on both and then move the object group at will to different places...

Will george,
I think this AVI will help you. It is on my Download list as well "Center Objects within a zone part 2".
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-center%20objects%20within%20a%20zone%20part%202.zi p

Remember that if you have things "locked/centered/etc" you will need to unlock those items first.

Ken Massingale
07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I've tried to do one from pics but they look like an alien.
I'm building a lathe stand and would like to carve the end panels.
Thanks much for any help.
Ken

blantz
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Ken,

Here is a pattern of a wood lathe, if you like.

will george
07-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Sir I thank you.. BUT I think you never adressed my problem.. Or maybe I do not understand what you told me..

If I do center X/Y I can find no way to move them unless I spend hours doing the change center on X and Y to move anything...

AskBud
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Will,
I sent you a PM.
AskBud