PDA

View Full Version : How good is the probe? This good!!!

Ted Grinnell
01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
My digital camera died or I would be sending you a copy of my finished product. Insted I have sent a jpg of the whay the software prepared it.

Believe me the actual cut is every bit as good with a little light sanding and brushing.

The scanner is worth every penny.

An added bonus is that scan time does not show up on the odometer of the machine, therefore not subtracting from the warranty 200 hrs.

This took 13 1/2 hrs to scann in and took up 3400 kp or 1/2 of the card.

BenCraig
01-25-2007, 02:02 AM
That's really sharp. What type of material was the original in which was scanned (aka wood, metal, plaster, etc?)

Thanks,
BC

menewfy
01-25-2007, 07:40 AM
if i may be so bold i would like to see this image uploaded to the share file.
how long did it take to carve?

that is if you dont mind I would really like to do one of those for myself.

you know when bard is done kicking my machine and sends it back to me!!

tim

IM2HAPPI
01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the pic, that really shows just what that probe will do. I just said hubby come here lookie. He says ok how much :lol: Now you know why IM2HAPPI

BobHill
01-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Ted,

Would attach and post the file of your carving for downloading? That's a nice job.

Bob

Ted Grinnell
01-25-2007, 01:39 PM
The original was made of some sort of plastic (made in China stuff)
The original was not supper detailed, but was enough for the 1/16" probe to capture almost all detail.
I am relatively sure that I would not be violating any copywright laws unless Leonardo Da Vinci presses charges.

I AM GOING TO ADD THIS SCAN TO PATTERN SHARING DEPOT, AND HOPE THAT OTHERS ARE OF THE SAME MIND TO SHARE!!

If any of you would like a MPW file so that they can modify the area they want to import to the PTN file search on my name and drop me a line.

PS: This carving took 8 hours to carve, but is larger than original. Remember to stop carving from time to time to clean chips and let the machine cool down.

newcarver
01-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Did you have to sand this quite a bit? I tried a couple of things from pine and cherry and am wondering the best way to sand them or to fine tune them before finishing.

Ted Grinnell
01-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I am by no means an experienced woodworker, and have learned more here on these forums than anywhere else.

I read somewhere that using a brass toothbrush works well, and it does to remove fuzz.

I use emery cloth on the rest, because of its flexability over paper. I had a bunch left over from my mechanic days, so don't ask me where to get it.

I would love to here from some of the old hats in woodworking on ideas of how to best detail sand. Most of my efforts have been trial and error up till now.

I am however a firm believer in "Ask directions from those that have already been down that road"

Ron Smith
01-26-2007, 06:46 AM
I tried it and it came out great! Used a brass brush to clear it up a little. This is on a 12" x 24" piece of red oak. Cherry or maple should cut cleaner. Way to go Ted. I really appreciate the effort and sharing.

Ron

HandTurnedMaple
01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I would love to here from some of the old hats in woodworking on ideas of how to best detail sand. Most of my efforts have been trial and error up till now.

I am however a firm believer in "Ask directions from those that have already been down that road"

Check out this page : http://www.carvingpatterns.com/

There is a lot of information here on hand carving that you may find useful. I haven't read through it all yet.

jayhhughes70
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I use emery boards to touch up fine detail. Need new grit use and old pair of scissors to trim or shape end to desired shape. Adds an extra 15 to 30 minutes to project depending on the amount of detail.

Jimmygee
02-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Ted,
Kudos and thank you for shareing your last supper with all of us. I have carved 2, one white oak and one maple and they came out fantastic. Guess I'll need to get a probe so I can share also. Maybe I can talk the little lady into letting me get one.
Thanks!!!
Jimmy Gee

bdehoyos
09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Did Ted publish the MPW? or did he send it to any buddy? I’d like to make some modifications to it is any one have it please PM me.

Thanks

eromran
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Did Ted publish the MPW? or did he send it to any buddy? I’d like to make some modifications to it is any one have it please PM me.

ThanksYea it wa in the gallery a long while back under ls2 i believe. It does carve very well.

Ike
09-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks

When in search of something, the search option works great!!! Checked it for you my friend and found it on the first page of the sharing gallery in a zip file.

Thanks for saying something now I have the pattern too!

Ike

Icutone2
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I have carved several of these os assorted sizes and i have used a " Sand mop"
to clean them up. You can find them @ klingspore.com but thay are not cheep!

Icutone2
09-16-2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

Hexe SA
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
This is my result after editing to fit the wood I had. It is an oak cabinet door
Eva

Audie
09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
This is my result after editing to fit the wood I had. It is an oak cabinet door
Eva

Looks great Eva!

Ike
09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
There you go Eva, nice work!

Ike

Deolman
09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Too bad it's not still available as a shared pattern.

SilentBob
09-17-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2046&page=75

Post #3 by Ted Grinnell

bdehoyos
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your responses, but Ted mentions that he would share the “MPW” file that would allow you to edit the pattern for your specific need, it is the MPW that I’m looking for. the LS2 is a PTN file and; we can not edit PTN that we did not author.