PDA

View Full Version : Random axis stalls x,y and Z.

CNC Carver
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm having random axis stalls and then no LCD power. Comes back on shortly after. I'm thinking it could be power supply issue possibly the L2 coil as listed in other threads. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Classic L2 problem from the looks.... See my post and pictures... Remember the L2 will be broken within the board between where it is bent over on the bottom and the top surface of the board.... If you lay the machine on it's back, muffler side, it will let Gravity Push the L2 back in and activate the LCD again.... Sometimes....

AL

CNC Carver
04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I looked at the L2 and didn't see a break but I'll take it apart again. Power is not coming on again. Is there any way to test with multi meter for the break?

Thanks again for the help. You guys are very knowledgable. I only can hope that I will be able to gain the knowledge to be helpful to others.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
You can push on the L2 like I did in the Picture and see the lead come out of the hole on the top like a carrot... Since it is just a coil of wire that is a filter. It works to nullify the AC Noise on the DC power going out to make cleaner power... Every Power Supply should have one... The AC waves of noise cancel each other out in the turns.... SO.... You can SHORT the bottom of the Coil for a TEST to see if the power comes back on..., Since, think about it... the L2 coil is just a few inches of wire wound around a Ferrite Core.... So it is the same as a Short to DC but deadly to expanding and collapsing magnetic fields of AC noise....

Good Luck... Remember... Just a TEST.... If you solder to the bottom of the board, most likely the bent over broken lead will fall off....

How old is the machine? Warranty? Newer machines have a different configuration power supply... This advice is for the older version...

AL

CNC Carver
04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
This is a refurbished version A no longer under warranty. When unit powes up I'm getting 5VDC on v1 and .5VDC on v2. When it won't power up. 5VDC on v1 and 0 VDC on v2. Is there anything else a TV repair shop will need to know to look for? Any schematic for power supply? I will try the soder test across L2.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I would have the TV Guy take a close look at the 3 copper Coils.... The Weight and the QC Vibration causes the copper wires to bend and like holding a chunk of house wire and keep bending it over and over and it changes colors and snaps... that is what happens with the coils. The Glue was designed to hold the coil from vibration but when the regular girl in China was out on a sick day, the replacement didn't want to get her nails dirty changing the glue tube so she used less glue for a whole day... Hence one big batch of old power supplies with L2 problems... Feedback from LHR to the Power Supply Company stressed the importance of proper glue on the L2 coil..... OR NOT.... LOL.... When making Picture Tubes at Sony this very thing happen to ME... a replacement girl putting special RTV on the Picture Tube Pins before slipping on the base cap for the wires to plug in... Too Little RTV and the 30K Volts arced through the thin glue between the pins.... For a WHOLE DAY.... Didn't want to get her nails dirty changing the RTV Tube... Took a month to fix each tubes from that days 12 hour production.... The Temps loved the Overtime...

That is the most likely problem with the power supply but have him check over the other big heavy components for cracked solder joints...

AL

CNC Carver
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Back from the TV repair man. I'm back carving again!! :) Al thanks for the help. 2 Bad connections on on v2 out pin and one on the transformer. Anyone having trouble Shearer TV in Jackson MI did a great job on mine.