PDA

View Full Version : April POM - Problem

Fireman24
04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I was carving the April POM since it looks great, and it carved just fine, but when it went to rout the panel, it was off kilter and routed right into the carving...7 hours wasted not to mention the money for the wood! Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem...I know I'll be asked if the board was shifted or removed and as far as I can tell, it was not. I want to re-carve it but I'm afraid to do so until I know it will rout out correctly since I don't want to waste the time and money! Any help or advice would be appreciated...so frustrating...

chebytrk
04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
You might want to carve it on Pink foam board just to make sure it carves good for you. I'm sure the project is fine and you'll probably discover that you belts or brass roller lost contact with the board. If you put masking tape on the pad side underneath the board you may want to make sure you see brass roller track marks all the way down on the tape. That should tell you if you lost contact or not.

mtylerfl
04-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I was carving the April POM since it looks great, and it carved just fine, but when it went to rout the panel, it was off kilter and routed right into the carving...7 hours wasted not to mention the money for the wood! Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem...I know I'll be asked if the board was shifted or removed and as far as I can tell, it was not. I want to re-carve it but I'm afraid to do so until I know it will rout out correctly since I don't want to waste the time and money! Any help or advice would be appreciated...so frustrating...

So very sorry that happened!! Will you post a photo we can look at here? We can usually tell what might have gone wrong at your end by looking at a photo or two, and perhaps give you some assistance how to avoid that in the future, etc.

Dang it! That is a long carve for things to go awry at the very end! Again, we all are sorry for you and share your frustration. Please post a photo or two as soon as you can.

b.sumner47
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the real beautiful pattern, I'm looking forward to carving it soon, Thank you, Michael.

Capt Barry

ladjr
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I carved ir last night and had no problem. It looks great.

Thanks

Leo

ladjr
04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I do have one question. What is the hole in the top of the panel for.

Leo

rickyz
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
just carved mine out... came out fine...I think the hole in the top is for a nail to hang it on the wall....

mtylerfl
04-05-2012, 06:43 AM
just carved mine out... came out fine...I think the hole in the top is for a nail to hang it on the wall....

Yes, that is correct...a finish nail (or similar) is what I had in mind for hanging the shelf. I probably should have mentioned in the instructions what it was for. As an option, a user could delete that hole and use a keyhole bit in a hand router to route a hanger hole on the back (although the depth would have to be carefully gauged so the keyhole wouldn't be cut too deeply!). Anyway, hanging on a finish nail seemed the easiest and least obtrusive hanging method to me.

mtylerfl
04-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Fireman24,

We are still very anxious to see photos of your result so we can help troubleshoot what may have gone wrong for you and offer suggestions on how to avoid the problem. Please do post some pics when it is convenient for you.