PDA

View Full Version : I keep getting "Scale to Length"

deron
03-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey guys I need a little help here. No matter what I do I keep getting "scale to length". I have read Tip's and Tricks March 2009 and I added 3 1/2 inches to both ends of the board. The display gives me the following: Length 17.065 / 24.000, what is the 17.065 for? I have added 4 inches and still get "scale to length". The board measurements are 24" L x 11.25 W x .75 Thick. Could the 17.065 be the size of the project that I am trying to put on the board?? I am using the grid and using 1 inch squares and the layout is within the rule. To make sure the measurement is correct I had the machine measure L & W and it came up with this L 24.065 W 11.383 so I went back to the software and entered those numbers for the board size and I still get "scale to length". I have been trying for the last three days to get this board cut. Thanks in advance. Deron

bergerud
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
24.065-17.065=7. You must be answering yes to Stay Under the Rollers. Just say no to stay under the rollers.

AskBud
03-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Hey guys I need a little help here. No matter what I do I keep getting "scale to length". I have read Tip's and Tricks March 2009 and I added 3 1/2 inches to both ends of the board. The display gives me the following: Length 17.065 / 24.000, what is the 17.065 for? I have added 4 inches and still get "scale to length". The board measurements are 24" L x 11.25 W x .75 Thick. Could the 17.065 be the size of the project that I am trying to put on the board?? I am using the grid and using 1 inch squares and the layout is within the rule. To make sure the measurement is correct I had the machine measure L & W and it came up with this L 24.065 W 11.383 so I went back to the software and entered those numbers for the board size and I still get "scale to length". I have been trying for the last three days to get this board cut. Thanks in advance. Deron
The 7 inch rule applies when you select "Stay Under The Rollers".
The way this works is the machine expects to see an actual board at least 7+ inches longer than the design board. Actual boards lacking the needed 7 inches will cause the "Scaling" prompt. Actual boards narrower than the design width will cause the Scaling prompt to ask if you wish to Scale to Width.

The other case for Scaling, is when your actual board is both wider and longer. In this case the prompt will allow you to make the carve as large as the board will accept, or you may opt to "Keep Original Size".

In some instances "Not staying under the rollers" will work fine, however, it depends upon how close to the end of your design board you carve. It's a good way to break bits or other parts of the machine.

It you attach your design (MPC), we could give you much better advice as to how best to proceed.
AskBud

deron
03-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, Bud I did not realize the measurements of the board with the 7 inches is not to be entered into the setup. I reduced the size of the board to 17.00 L x 9.50 W leaving all text the same as before. Everything is working fine now that you explained it a lot better. One other question, what is the best bit to use for writing text. I am using the 60 deg. V at a depth of 0.125, any other suggestions?

AskBud
03-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys, Bud I did not realize the measurements of the board with the 7 inches is not to be entered into the setup. I reduced the size of the board to 17.00 L x 9.50 W leaving all text the same as before. Everything is working fine now that you explained it a lot better. One other question, what is the best bit to use for writing text. I am using the 60 deg. V at a depth of 0.125, any other suggestions?The V-bits are used for Centerline text application. Centerline text depth is controlled by the font selections, not by a personal application of depth! If you are using something like AI vectors to make your own text, rather than the "Text" application, you can assign your depth.

I like the 60 degree bit, and sometimes substitute a 45 or 22 degree bit in the machine. This gives me a smaller footprint for very small lines.
AskBud