PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

seathis
03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi. Just got Conforming Vectors because I wanted to put a name in a carved region. I absolutely did check the 'conform' box on the name. But instead of carving down into the region into the wood, the machine is air carving over it as if the wood is still 3/4" high in that area. Hope this makes sense and any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ladjr
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Can you send the MPC file

Leo

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I would run the project again and watch the bit touch of the bit plate. A V bit normally shorter than the normal bits can stop short of the bit plate due to sawdust on the rails or belt cogs... So before you get too excited that you did it wrong, run the project again....

Do you need to select the pattern in the carve region AND Text with the selection of conforming vectors to make it work?.... I have it but have not used it in a while...

AL

AskBud
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I would run the project again and watch the bit touch of the bit plate. A V bit normally shorter than the normal bits can stop short of the bit plate due to sawdust on the rails or belt cogs... So before you get too excited that you did it wrong, run the project again....

Do you need to select the pattern in the carve region AND Text with the selection of conforming vectors to make it work?.... I have it but have not used it in a while...

ALIt could be any number of things, that's the reason I suggested attaching the MPC. It's my starting point.

Al,
No, you do not highlight any other item when activating Conforming Vectors. Just higlilght the text or vector you wish to apply the function.
AskBud

seathis
03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you guys. I've been in the shop. Before I sent anything on and took up your time, I decided to tried it again. This time it mostly worked. Only an initial lower on the pattern didn't work, so it must be something in the way I designed it. I have to make another one like it with different names. If it doesn't work I'll be back, send it on and see if you can see what I'm doing. Thank you so much for your time on a Friday night.

AskBud
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
While we are waiting on the MPC to be attached, I'll speculate on a possible answer to the Conforming Vector (CV) application not doing what is expected. CV only works when applied to a raster carved area. This may be a pattern or a carve region. It (CV) is not applied to Drilled or other vector cuts, including vector pockets and other Centerline text.

I recently made a Zipped AVI lesson on this subject which is linked here.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Pockets%20and%20Conforming%20Vectors.zip
AskBud

seathis
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I bet that's it! I had taken the pattern into Corel and turned it into a vector. But I have the identical design that is not a vector graphic. I must have switched them up. That's why I could get it to work once. Thanks again everyone, sorry to bother and I'm off to watch your tutorial, Bud.

lawrence
03-30-2012, 11:50 PM
I just tried it out, and a DXF import allows for centerline text/conforming vectors. It is working for me, but maybe that is just DXF imports.
Lawrence
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Capture-8.jpg

seathis
03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm going to run everything again today and see what happens. I'll also try a DXF and see if that works. Will report back.