PDA

View Full Version : How do you change out the router quick Changer

limelicker
01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I am new to the carvewright machine(2weeks). While making my first project I put in the 90 degree bit to router the edges. The bit came loose, I immediately turned off the machine, but it put burrs on all 4 tabs on the quick changer on the machine. Stopping it from coming all the way down and locking the bits in place. I bought a new quick changer from Sears, I disconnected the flex cable, took off the flex cable holder and the retaining ring from underneath. I am very mechanically inclined but am not sure how to proceed from here. I'm hoping someone has been through this or has a shop manual. I live in California and don't want to ship it to Texas just for this. Thank you very much in advance.

The Bard
01-24-2007, 09:53 PM
use something square to hold the top in place... we use a ground down allen wrench. Then take, I believe, a 7/8ths flat wrench to screw the quick change off and the new one back on.

Use a small dab of blue (medium) threadlock on the spindle before putting it on, though. Then tighten as tight as you can w/o breaking the allen wrench.

At least I THINK that's how you do it. :oops:

pkunk
01-24-2007, 09:58 PM
That's about right Chris. I will help to remove it if you warm it with a heatgun or hair dryer first to soften the threadlock.

limelicker
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
You guys are too good :D . Thanx for the very fast replies. Was done for the day here, was gonna start fresh again tomorrow morning. I feel a lot better, now that I have a game plan for tomorrow. Thank you very much, Bard and you too Pkunk !! Limelicker

The Bard
01-25-2007, 12:07 AM
8)

Woodpecker
03-07-2007, 06:09 AM
I wonder if the plumbing wrench which is flat and opens like a crescent wrench will do this job? If any one has tried it please post the results.

Semper Fi
03-07-2007, 06:29 AM
I haven't, but when you buy the kit from sears, they include a flat wrench with it. But be aware, the Bard has stated that he was told the quick change that Sears sell are not the same as the Compucarve's. I bought mine for the extra bit holders, but I think I would try it if I ever had to change the head. It sure looks the same (almost).

Ernie

Crewdawg707
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I bought the one from sears for the quick change bits and to see if the chuck was the same since I have one that is broke. Took the old chuch off my machine and yes, they look alike, they are not. The one for the CarveWright has threads in the head and the one from sears has a split slip coupler to slide on the shaft of your router. Almost the same but not. Oh well, guess my router gets an upgrade....lol Still, I have the extra adaptors so now my bits can do double duty.

CallNeg151
03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I purchased the kit not for the router head (figuring I'd use it elsewhere, like you will), but for the three bit adapters and the flat wrench in the kit. That little wrench is very useful in freeing a stuck bit, as it will allow you to grab the top of the chuck, while twisting the sheath with your fingers to release it.

HandTurnedMaple
03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I just slapped an open-end wrench on a grinder and trimmed it down for my clutch wrench. Then took an old phillips-head screwdriver, ground off the phillips end and squared the shaft to fit down the top. For about the last week before I sent my CW to Texas for other repairs, I had to completely remove the chuck each time I wanted to change bits.

SevenCubed
04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I have to say... I'm not a particularly handy fella, but the advice here on the forum gave me some confidence. I have now successfully swapped out my hideously busted QuickChange adaptor with a fresh one that LHR jus' sent me. A Thousand thanks for all of you contributing to this community. Very much appreciated.

liquidguitars
04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I have now successfully swapped out my hideously busted QuickChange adaptor with a fresh one that LHR jus' sent me. A Thousand thanks for all of you contributing to this community. Very much appreciated.

I been down 2 weeks from a service and I still need my hideously busted QuickChange adaptor QC. :)
Did you get a new QC or repaired one from CW?

Good to here your running,

Lig

forqnc
06-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Ok guy's, I have a stuck QC. I have a Phillips screwdriver I ground square in the top, tried the hairdryer to heat it up but this sucker does not wanna move. Anymore suggestions. :confused:

rjustice
06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Forqnc,
I should be able to ship tools this week to remove the chuck without damaging the spindle. See the picture below. The other picture shows 1/8 bit adapters, Allen wrench to fit, spare screws, the QC tool, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 long reach ball cutters. You simply use a 7/16 socket on the tool, which will fit through the slot in the top of the machine. $26 for the pair of tools plus $11 USPS priority insured shipping (you can add anything else to the order for no additional shipping costs as well)

If you choose to use the screwdriver method you must be very careful to get it to fit just right otherwise you will scar up the square hole that the flex cable fits into, and it will damage the cable. The only fix to this at this time is to replace the spindle (Z Truck). I have read 2 posts where this has happened here.

Email me if you are interested cw_parts@yahoo.com

Ron

auriclux
04-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Just to round things out, here is the official set of instructions I got from LHR.

Search strings: "Change QC" "Replace QC" "Quick Changer"

leroy
04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all your help, I have removed the chuck and will order a new one. Can someone give me a link to purchase a new one. I find everthing but the part I need.

Kenm810
04-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Here ya go,

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX. 77504

CarveWright Service Phone Numbers
For CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572 1-713 473-6545 or 1-800-573-1226
email at support@carvewright.com.
New hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am To 6:00 pm Central Time.

Part # 144 Quick Change Assembly A005-00033

leroy
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Here ya go,

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX. 77504

CarveWright Service Phone Numbers
For CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572 1-713 473-6545 or 1-800-573-1226
email at support@carvewright.com.
New hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am To 6:00 pm Central Time.

Part # 144 Quick Change Assembly A005-00033
Ken, Thanks for your help, Cravewright is sending me a new chuck.

fhoward2
06-01-2009, 08:48 PM
My QC just broke and the store is closed. Anyone have any idea as to the replacement cost? Thanks

hess
06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
My QC just broke and the store is closed. Anyone have any idea as to the replacement cost? Thanks

The QC is about 30.00 then you will need the tools a very thin 7/8 wench and a sq tool to hold the spindle from CW should be near 50 bucks plus the 12 buck shipping.

I have changed over to the RC and cant be better no more BBs and buying adaptors and no one can say I did not put the dang thing in right.

I have some new QCs have an extra wench but the sq tools I got dont fit.

Hess

easybuilt
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Don't buy anither QC, I bought a Rock Chuck and it is great. Very little vibration, lower heat and easy to change the bits. It is worth the money and you will be much happier.:)

hess
06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Don't buy anither QC, I bought a Rock Chuck and it is great. Very little vibration, lower heat and easy to change the bits. It is worth the money and you will be much happier.:)

The Rock also comes with a lifetime warranty!!

Hey Ron I take it that means YOUR lifetime, Hope you are in good health.

We want a long warranty. lol

Hess

PS Get the Rock you will like it

rjustice
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
The Rock also comes with a lifetime warranty!!

Hey Ron I take it that means YOUR lifetime, Hope you are in good health.

We want a long warranty. lol

Hess

PS Get the Rock you will like it

Hi Hess... yeah, I had a checkup not too long ago, and everything is lookin good! LOL

You guys crack me up!

Glad you are liking the chuck!

Happy Carving,

Ron