PDA

View Full Version : FREE grayscale depthmap .jpg

Pratyeka
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Okay, here is what I have been up to. CNC router sales from China is a big business there. Looking at the various adds, some of those show beautiful carvings of traditional chinese designs... so I thought, there must be someone making the depthmaps, because not every cnc carver in china is a 3d artist...seriously.
After days of googling various keywords, and finding nothing, I decided to try searching in chinese language. Got lucky!
If you have the google toolbar installed, you can configure it to automatically translate the web page you are in.
If not, doesn't matter, this page is easy enough to navigate. at the bottom, you will find the familiar "next page" and "page number" navigation stuff.
there are thousands of grayscale depthmap picture available. Just import directly into designer, or use your favorite picture editor to trim, resize or clean, then import into designer.
Have fun!
http://www.nipic.com/design/25/1.html

Bigtyme
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
There certainly is some great stuff on that site!! Thank you for sharing....

dbfletcher
03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow... that is awesome! Great find!

Pratyeka
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Just make sure you click on the pic to display it full size, then right-click and save pic.

crfahy
03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
That sure was fun! I found some cool dragons to try! Thanks for sharing!!!

jpaluck
03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
VERY NICE stuff there..nice find

James RS
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Nice! Thanks for sharing:cool:

lawrence
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
+1 - excellent greyscales there

Lawrence

gwizpro
03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
I am always amazed on the things you do Pratyeka.

That site is beyond AWESOME.

What a great resource.

THANK YOU so much for sharing...Tom

jpaluck
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Pratyeka..your gonna get me in trouble..lol..now playing with the images in zbrush...wish I had more time to play around and combine some of them..VERY nice minimal to no clean up needed

chebytrk
03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Really Really Cool Stuff

Pratyeka
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I may just top my monthly 120Gb bandwidth.. I'm downloading them one by one, and there is over 250 pages....

The site is a sharing site.. the creators upload their work and get credit points. They can use these points to download the high rez originals. Permission is granted to use those grayscale for carving, but not to resale the grayscales. There are several other sites in China with those grayscales, but they put more obvious watermarks and they are lower rez.
the biggest site I found sell a collection of near 6000 pics on a hard-disk, including artcam 2008 and some other cam software, for around $500. Incredible...
http://bbs.ooopic.com/tuku.php?u=fcg1975&cid=30847&cus=1&page=&page=02

gwizpro
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I must have downloaded a hundred images.

Here's one I just did.

lawrence
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
once again- great site! Are you actually downloading the pics or just saving the greyscales? I tried to register so I could download but was unable to register successfully.

Lawrence

Pratyeka
03-29-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm just saving the pics. I did register, you need to open a Tencent QQ account which is the chinese ICQ like instant messaging. Then I tried to download but I still need to do some translating.
Almost 600 grayscale saved and I'm only at page 46... long weekend ahead.

chebytrk
03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Hey Pratyeka,
Just wondering if you've been able to locate other sites like this one. These pics are awesome and now I'm on a kick of trying to find other "grayscale" sites.

JerryB

Okay, here is what I have been up to. CNC router sales from China is a big business there. Looking at the various adds, some of those show beautiful carvings of traditional chinese designs... so I thought, there must be someone making the depthmaps, because not every cnc carver in china is a 3d artist...seriously.
After days of googling various keywords, and finding nothing, I decided to try searching in chinese language. Got lucky!
If you have the google toolbar installed, you can configure it to automatically translate the web page you are in.
If not, doesn't matter, this page is easy enough to navigate. at the bottom, you will find the familiar "next page" and "page number" navigation stuff.
there are thousands of grayscale depthmap picture available. Just import directly into designer, or use your favorite picture editor to trim, resize or clean, then import into designer.
Have fun!
http://www.nipic.com/design/25/1.html

skeeterman
03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Great find I have downloaded several myself, some one once told me that there was something simular to this in Russia, i couldnt find it though.
steve

jpaluck
03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
http://cnc3dart.narod.ru/free.html

one I found a while back..nowhere close to the amount pratyeka found

Pratyeka
03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
http://cnc.userforum.ru/viewtopic.php?id=245&p=21

This is a page from a Russian CNC user forum. There is a list of links related to free 3d models. Haven't had time to check them yet.
Used the google translator to find that one.

eelamb
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Great find, will have to explore that site.

cnsranch
03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
The site is super - Google Translate is almost as cool.

Alan Malmstrom
03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Since my wife is Chinese she will love the stuff I can do with patterns from this site. I bet stuff like this will really get people using their machines.

Thanks, Alan

liquidguitars
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
vERY COOL!

gregsolano
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
I love this site! Here is a Chinese rose I made from a grey scale on the site.

Pratyeka
03-30-2012, 06:07 AM
tips on smoothing out those grey scales:
load into photoshop or whatever.
set to greyscale and 16 bits
set resolution to 128 pixels/inch
set longest dimension to 2000 pixels
use filter "despeckle" a couple of time. that removes the "jpg artifacts" that causes those annoying little bumps along edges with high contrast.
save as .png
you are ready to import into designer.

So far, I'm at page 71 with over 900 pic saved...

Alan Malmstrom
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
There are many different ways to smooth out an image for import. And here is my take on it: http://patternhelp.com/uploads/HeightMapTutorial8.pdf

Blurring smoothes things out but may leave stepping on areas with low contrast, but adding a little contrast by adding noise before blurring allows one to be able to blur less, thus allowing for less rounding of high contrast areas.

Alan

Pratyeka
03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Alan for the tip, nice work!

Here is a couple of carve from those greyscales, done in MDF. The one on the left has one coat of white shellac, the other is plain right after 3h30 carve time at best setting. both are 14" X 14". Carving depth is 1/4".

James RS
03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Great job! Question for you, I noticed on the images there's text on the bottoms of some that are in the image.
How did you work around this

Thanks,
James R

Pratyeka
03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Great job! Question for you, I noticed on the images there's text on the bottoms of some that are in the image.
How did you work around this

Thanks,
James R

Most of them I just crop out if they are outside the main subject. Some I use either photoshop to erase or Artcam to carve out. Other chinese website have much more pervasive watermark all over the picture, effectively rendering useless. Hope this website doesn't change it's policy about watermarks.

liquidguitars
03-31-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing that the images are copyright and are only for a example of the 24 bit PNG's that you would normally buy from the site!

James RS
03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
LG from what I can see they are not sold.

I'm guessing that the images are copyright and are only for a example of the 24 bit PNG's that you would normally buy from the site!

gregsolano
03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
It was hard to use google translate on some of the pages but from what i figured once becoming a member (for free) you can download hi res images that have 3 or less stars. You can upgrade to 4 o 5 stars by sharing pictures. Once you share pics of your own then you are upgraded to download 4 star images, then eventually all images (5 star). I became a member by just punching in a fake QQ account (its a messaging service) and downloaded a few images which all came without watermarks. I am still having a hard time translating some of the pages that come up but It does not appear these are for sale images but rather they encourage sharing and reward you for it.

Pratyeka
03-31-2012, 03:16 PM

I took the time to translate the website and read their policy: The site is a sharing site.. the creators upload their work and get credit points. They can use these points to download the high rez originals. Permission is granted to use those grayscale for carving, but not to resale the grayscales.

liquidguitars
03-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Very cool that we can use this stuff...

jaustin
03-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the link.

James RS
04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I took the time to translate the website and read their policy: The site is a sharing site.. the creators upload their work and get credit points. They can use these points to download the high rez originals. Permission is granted to use those grayscale for carving, but not to resale the grayscales.

So how do you download the high rez grayscales?

Pratyeka
04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
look up post #32 above.

jaustin
04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
If you click the picture it hets bigger is that the HI RES pic?

James RS
04-01-2012, 04:25 PM
look up post #32 above.

I tried searching on how to become a member

Pratyeka
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
If you click the picture it hets bigger is that the HI RES pic?

It's not, but for most, it's enough to get a good carve.

Pratyeka
04-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I went through all 293 pages and saved most useable pic (~1400).
I separated them into rough categories and now will go through each and eliminate duplicates.
Then will begin the lenghty job of cleaning each pics and resizing them.
Some are truly intricate, others are basic.

Pratyeka
04-02-2012, 08:32 AM
If anyone is interested, and has a way to store and share big files, I can send you those grayscales in one or more zip files. It will take me a few days to eliminate the duplicates. So if you are hosting a website or have an account in a file sharing site, send me a PM. I will do this for free, but only once or twice, due to the size of the upload it represents. These will be the raw pic as I have saved them from the website. No cleaning or trimming done.

gregsolano
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
you could use dropbox its free and all someone has to do is send you there email address and you can give them access to the folder in your dropbox. I would be interested. Go to www.dropbox.com (http://www.dropbox.com) to open a free account that lets you upload up to 2 gigibites.I use this all the time to share files. If you send them to me I would be willing to set up the dropbox and share them. I will pm you.

dltccf
04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a free box.com account that allows sharing. They were having a special if you sign up for their free personal account you get 50 Gigs of storage. You can just sign up yourself or upload it to me.

dave

jaustin
04-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Pratyeka
Thanks for doing this a making it available for everyone to use.

badbert
04-03-2012, 01:52 AM
If anyone is interested, and has a way to store and share big files, I can send you those grayscales in one or more zip files. It will take me a few days to eliminate the duplicates. So if you are hosting a website or have an account in a file sharing site, send me a PM. I will do this for free, but only once or twice, due to the size of the upload it represents. These will be the raw pic as I have saved them from the website. No cleaning or trimming done.

you could use dropbox its free and all someone has to do is send you there email address and you can give them access to the folder in your dropbox. I would be interested. Go to www.dropbox.com (http://www.dropbox.com) to open a free account that lets you upload up to 2 gigibites.I use this all the time to share files. If you send them to me I would be willing to set up the dropbox and share them. I will pm you.

I have a free box.com account that allows sharing. They were having a special if you sign up for their free personal account you get 50 Gigs of storage. You can just sign up yourself or upload it to me.

dave

Pratyeka
Thanks for doing this a making it available for everyone to use.

I second that! I tried to download a few but it was super slow! I for one would greatly appreciate a super-sized zip file! Thanks Pratyeka!

James RS
04-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Sent you a PM

badbert
04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Does anyone Torrent? (File sharing)

dbfletcher
04-03-2012, 05:52 AM
The problem I see with torrent is you would need enough seeders to make it worthwhile. I doubt with such a limited insterest torrent you would ever achieve enough seeders available 100% of the time to make it painless for everyone else.

Pratyeka
04-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Ok, I used my dropbox. I never used it much and did not know about the Public Folder. So here is the link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10671964/nipic.zip
The file is 125Mb and contains a little over 1500 pics.
I share these pics in the spirit of their intended use as stated on the Nipic website, that they can be used to create carvings that can be sold. These files are not to be resold.
I am doing this for free in the spirit of sharing with the CW community, and because I wanted to use my bandwidth for something useful :-)
You folks enjoy!

dbfletcher
04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Great Job! And I for one really appreciate your efforts. This will save me tons of time.

dltccf
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Ok, I used my dropbox. I never used it much and did not know about the Public Folder. So here is the link:
I share these pics in the spirit of their intended use as stated on the Nipic website, that they can be used to create carvings that can be sold. These files are not to be resold.
I am doing this for free in the spirit of sharing with the CW community, and because I wanted to use my bandwidth for something useful :-)
You folks enjoy!

Thank you.

dave

gregsolano
04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I was only on page 20 of downloading so Thank you so much also pratyeka!

badbert
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
You folks enjoy!

Thank You!!

rncurrie
04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Fantastic! Thank You for your time and sharing.

lawrence
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you for taking the time to share this with us!

V/r
Lawrence

Deolman
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Pratyeka, that zip file obviously took some time to download and build. Thank you for your efforts and most of all thank you for sharing. :)

eelamb
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Pratyeka, thank you for making the file available to us.

crfahy
04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Pratyeka - Thank you SO much! I had downloaded about 75 of them... Carved 2 already! It sure is nice to have them all - and so well organized!
I'm carving the sauna guy right now from the Russian site...

James RS
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank You for sharing, and no way will I ever sell these. Give them away yes but never sell

You folks enjoy!

TerryT
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I downloaded a few JPG's and converted to PTN's. They carve great!

eelamb
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Nice carving Terry. Had to laugh when I saw the first one, knowing what your business is.

gregsolano
04-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Really nice and I noticed you have the blank round cribbage board patterns on sale 30 % off on your website!
http://woodwisdom.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21

TerryT
04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Nice carving Terry. Had to laugh when I saw the first one, knowing what your business is.

That one really caught my eye, Eddie.

seathis
04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
The original artist--Can anyone take a guess at which software they were using to create such beautiful greyscale
designs?

eelamb
04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
From what I have seen as to videos they are using JDpaint.

CNC Carver
04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Nice find and thanks for sharing a wonderful resource.

Pratyeka
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Confirmed. I have downloaded it but yet have to install it. I may have time this week.

James RS
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Ed where did you see this at?

Thanks James R

James RS
04-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Terry, Great Job! I really like how they came out.

eelamb
04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
James, youtube has videos of JDpaint, and a few of the patterns were featured in the videos. So I figured it was JDpaint they were using to make the patterns in.

sk8nmike
04-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Confirmed. I have downloaded it but yet have to install it. I may have time this week.

Where did you find the JDPaint? I've found the Company website, but not a download..

Pratyeka
04-05-2012, 08:34 AM
ooops, forget that link. I installed the JDpaint I somehow got somewhere, and it's useless.
I looked at the youtube video, this JDPaint loolks quite similar to Artcam.

liquidguitars
04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Thank you Pratyeka!

Pratyeka
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey folks! There are new images posted on the nipic.com. I will get them this weekend and if I have time, will zip them and post the file in my dropbox public folder and share the link, as with the big file.
There is one fantastic dragon crossing a river on the first page... I'm planning to carve it 35" X 15" X 1" on the CNC at work, if I ever have the time.

mister_zed
04-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Hello, Pratyeka!

I cannot find words to express my appreciation of your work! Wonderful!

Btw, what software did you use to convert plain colour images into depth bitmaps?

Pratyeka
04-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey mister_zed, I only get the images that are already depth maps. No conversion necessary.

Thanks you all for your kind words.

Pratyeka
04-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Here is the link to the new images:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10671964/new%2014-04-12.zip

CNC Carver
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your work at finding these and suppling the link.

Pratyeka
04-14-2012, 09:01 AM
here is the link to Fierce dragon crosses river.ptn (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10671964/Fierce%20dragon%20crosses%20river.ptn). it's 5.6Mb!

Kenm810
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Great Files to play with -- Thanks so much!!

cnsranch
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Any tips regarding getting rid of that pesky text at the bottom without losing any of the detail of the image??

chebytrk
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I use paint.net and either "clone" the surrounding color around it, crop it out or erase it.

bjbethke
04-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Any tips regarding getting rid of that pesky text at the bottom without losing any of the detail of the image??

I use Photoshop, I make the image 300 DPI, then use the Clone Stamp tool. I use the blur tool to make the correction smooth.

James RS
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
On a couple I just selected another area that was the same , copied it. Then pasted over the text, I used Paint.net

crfahy
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Here's one from the Russian site. 5251752516
This was my first .stl import - worked great!

ladjr
04-16-2012, 07:52 PM

That is really great. Nice Job

Leo

SharonB
04-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm glad you got the hot tub man. I only got the sauna man. I haven't had the time to convert any of the grayscale patterns but look forward to trying it in the near future.

Pratyeka
04-17-2012, 06:25 AM

Great one! thanks.

crfahy
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Sharon - He really was Sauna2.stl. I just named the ptn hot_tub_man 'cause he's in what looks just like our cedar hot tub.
Funny how much he looks like my husband Monte too!!!

chebytrk
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Looks great. Do you have the link that you can post for the Russian site that you mention?

crfahy
04-17-2012, 11:49 AM
It was post # 19 in this thread. http://cnc.userforum.ru/viewtopic.php?id=245&p=21
Thanks again to Pratyeka!!

Pratyeka
05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm taking the file off my dropbox space. I think all those interested had time to download it.
Thanks to all for the kind words.

CasinoDuck
05-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Excellent find Sir! Thanks for sharing!

dcalvin4
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
T H A N K Y O U Pratyeka
denny

chebytrk
05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
yes sir! Very much appreciated!

b.sumner47
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I'd like to chime in and say, Thank You !! It was nice to have you pass it along.

Capt Barry

squidlydee
08-03-2012, 05:11 AM
I'm taking the file off my dropbox space. I think all those interested had time to download it.

I just started reading this thread and when I tried to download the files I got the "404". Does any one care to re-post so I can down load the files.

Thanks
Squidlydee

karossii
08-16-2012, 02:21 AM
I too am late to the party, and would love to get these files. If someone can share them with me, I have a website design/hosting company and can place them on a server for a fairly permanent location...

badbert
08-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Uploaded for future carvers...

http://www.mediafire.com/?3v2evab1ose140r (http://www.mediafire.com/?3v2evab1ose140r)

squidlydee
08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey thanks Badbert, for awhile I taught I lost them for good.

gashawk
08-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Thank you, Pratyeka, a couple more links:http://hobbycncart.com/load Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS476US476&q=%e7%81%b0%e5%ba%a6%e5%9b%be++ This one is gray scale translated to Chinese.
http://so.ooopic.com/sousuo/2053781/ and this one is gray scale (in the search box)

hope thier not to redundent

badbert
08-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Thanks Gashawk!

easybuilt
08-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Great links Thank you!

jhommyboy
05-16-2013, 12:50 AM
You folks enjoy!

im looking for some grayscale images for carving.. but the link is currently unavailable, can somebody help me where i can download free grayscale?, or maybe there's someone who can give me some stuffs? kindly email me at jhorenzparaiso@yahoo.com,, thanks in advance help is very much appreciated.

badbert
05-16-2013, 01:04 AM
http://205.196.123.167/4qevqdxxi35g/3v2evab1ose140r/nipic.zip

(http://205.196.123.167/4qevqdxxi35g/3v2evab1ose140r/nipic.zip)

badbert
05-16-2013, 01:05 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?3v2evab1ose140r

jhommyboy
05-16-2013, 01:28 AM
thanks a lot sir..

eelamb
12-09-2013, 05:23 PM
bumping this thread

eelamb
12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Here is another site.
http://so.ooopic.com/search-%E7%81%B0%E5%BA%A6%E5%9B%BE-0-0_0___0_0_oo_0_1.html
Many are the same as what is on nipic website but a few new ones.

henry1
12-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Here is another site.
http://so.ooopic.com/search-%E7%81%B0%E5%BA%A6%E5%9B%BE-0-0_0___0_0_oo_0_1.html
Many are the same as what is on nipic website but a few new ones.

I like that one thx eddie

NLAlston
12-10-2013, 07:43 AM
You folks enjoy!

Hi there.

This is another very interesting thread that I just stumbled across, and I tried to grab the offered contents. I wonder if you still have them, as the following is all I get when I click on your link:

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/errorhandler?hsimp=yhse-001&hspart=CND&type=A8E4749DEC9FD474FAEF_s11_g_e&q=http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10671964/nipic.zip

Geomoo1
12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi there.

This is another very interesting thread that I just stumbled across, and I tried to grab the offered contents. I wonder if you still have them, as the following is all I get when I click on your link:

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/errorhandler?hsimp=yhse-001&hspart=CND&type=A8E4749DEC9FD474FAEF_s11_g_e&q=http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10671964/nipic.zip

Nathan, here is a new link provided by badbert... http://www.mediafire.com/?3v2evab1ose140r and it does work. I just downloaded it. So, thanks to badbert from us late comers.

NLAlston
12-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Nathan, here is a new link provided by badbert... http://www.mediafire.com/?3v2evab1ose140r and it does work. I just downloaded it. So, thanks to badbert from us late comers.

Geomoo1, thanks to you - and also to Badbert for the thoughtfulness. I am sure that I will be able to use a good number of these in my carvings.

Mike vonB
07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Pratyeka - Any chance to re-upload the zip file?

I keep getting a 'broken/corrupt file' error message

TerryT
07-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Try the link in post #113

Mike vonB
07-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks - after trying again, the file size increased by 1kb... also updated my Zipeg extractor program...

it works now :) Monday is a little less suck-ish now

oscarl48
08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Thank you as well. Can't wait to try some of these.

NLAlston
04-27-2015, 03:10 AM

I know that this was a while back, and I received a '403 Forbidden' notice when I attempted to access that initial link. I just found this, only a few minutes ago, and hoped that I could have gotten it. Then, I (just a moment after that) read down to this particular post of yours. I can understand your having had removed this from your Dropbox space, but I wonder if there is ANY way that I might be able to get that package from you - that is, providing you still have it to offer.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

eelamb
04-27-2015, 06:09 AM
Nathan her is the current location, just checked and it still owrked.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3v2evab1ose140r/nipic.zip

NLAlston
04-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Nathan her is the current location, just checked and it still owrked.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3v2evab1ose140r/nipic.zip

Thank you SO MUCH.

At the time of writing, I wasn't aware that I had grabbed this package some time back. I LOVED what was in it (a good deal of it, anyway), but had suffered a situation where I was forced to format my computer - which, consequently, erased these files also. I could not remember where I'd gotten them from, but I NOW have them back again. I appreciate you.

Drywasher
05-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Good day everyone,

Quick question. I imported one of these into PE and then saved it to my library and then created my project and it all looked just fine all the details raised etc. When I went to carve it, it carved inverse all the raised area was not raised in the cutting. I went back to the computer and then inverted the image (now everything is sunken in the project, but this cut raised as I expected the original try to cut. What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks Mike

bergerud
05-25-2015, 02:22 PM
I have never seen the machine carve the invert of what is on the Designer board. It is pretty good WYSIWYG. Are you sure you were not tricked by the lighting? Maybe you uploaded when it was inverted?

I would advise you to check carefully and try it again. If it does it again, post the mpc so we can try.

Drywasher
05-27-2015, 06:18 PM
I went back to both .MPC files and belive it was the lighting that messed with my mind. What is the best setting or position to set the lighting at. Don't want to keep making the same mistake. I move the lighting to the top on the one that cut inverted and magically it recessed.

Thanks
Mike

bergerud
05-27-2015, 06:54 PM
I always give the board a tilt and see it from the side. Lighting for me is always top left I think.

Drywasher
05-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks for your help much appreciated

seathis
09-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Tried to download but no luck. Does anyone have a current link for this? Thank you.

fwharris
09-26-2015, 05:17 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20397-FREE-grayscale-depthmap-jpg&p=245803#post245803

seathis
09-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Floyd.

Pratyeka
12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Hello everyone! Merry Xmas and Happy new year.
I have been away from this forum a long time, and I'm pleasantly surprised the this particular thread is still alive. Keep it going guys!
I'm sorry to say that since my last project (the Phoenix & Dragon headboard) I haven't used my modified carvewright machine, nor my homemade CNC router. I simply have lost interest in carving. That's just how my brain is wired, I will take a hobby up, get good at it, then move on to something else.
So I just wanted to say farewell to everyone here and to one of the best forum in the universe.
I will be dropping by from time to time to see what's up :-)

oscarl48
12-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Quick thank you for sharing the nipic site. The patterns on the site have inspired me and wow'ed me a great deal. Merry Christmas.