PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #55 Combo Plane

lilskip
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
My Buddies father in law passed away and we had to drive upstate and clean out his property (house and workshop). While him and his wife was going through and sorting between the Keep pile and the throw away pile. I was looking at some the stuff from the workshop I seen a shoebox with an Old Stanley Plane in it. Well they said I could keep it cause they was going to toss it. So I took it home. Well they have been in a bind trying to pay bills etc from the father in law. So I figured I would try and find a buyer for the Combo plane they gave me so try and help them out.

The actual plane itself is all there except for the 2 long guide bars, all the components move freely. The wood on the 2 side guides are in good shape and swivel nicely. The nickle coating is peeling on the Plane and it does have some rust on it.

So from what info I can find on the Stanley #55 Combo plane this one is a Sweetheart edition but I can’t find a way to nail down the year. I think it is from the late 1920’s because of the SW marking and the Patent number on it. It has all 4 cutter boxes that is missing 4 blades out of 55 but it does have 4 extras that are duplicates . I marked which ones was missing in the photos with yellow tags with the blade number that goes there. And other than a little bit of rust on them none are broken or chipped.

I am not a collector of planes and I was just going to dispaly it as it was in my shop[ but I figured someone on here might want it for a project to restore and I just want to help my buddy out with his bills. I have looked around and I think $200 OBO would be a fair price plus shipping . If I am under or overpricing this please let me know I am not trying to rip anyone off just trying to help a friend out.

If anyone is interested you can message me here, email me at lilskip5199@gmail.com or call me at 678-478-3188

ladjr
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I think you maybe low. It looks like it routers the edges (For lack of another word). I wish I new where you could get a appraisal.

Good Luck

Leo

lilskip
03-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not big into the Old Planes so I am not familier with how much they run. but I figured it is worth the $200 even with the rust on it and it would give someone a good deal on it and help my buddy out. we are supose to go through some more of his farther in laws workshop stuff this week and if I find any other jewels in the rough I will post them up here before I start to EBay the stuff for him.
Thanks
David

fwharris
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
David,

I sent an IM to one of the guys who is kind of in to this type of stuff. I'm betting he will be in touch...

lilskip
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Cool Thanks FWHarris.
I might come across some more as we unpack the trailer If I do I am going to post them up here.
Thanks
David

lilskip
03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks Everyone for looking This Item is Now Sold to a gentlman in california.
Thanks
David