PDA

View Full Version : I AM LEAVING THIS FORUM !! :)

rgant05
01-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes, I will be departing from this forum... well at least for several hours. I just picked up my machine tonight and am looking forward to getting a real feel for the machine. Glanced over the manual (again) and came back to check again what the different firmware responses can be so I can check when it comes up to see if it needs updating. And baring any problems that end my joy early tonight, I will be back in the morning (possibly without any sleep) to post my first project. See ya'll later

pkunk
01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Heh, the fun begins. :D :D

Cliff
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I picked mine up this evening (or tried to it heavy). I'm still doing a QC check before it power it up fully. It came with Firmware 1.113 and I've registered and updated to 1.115. I over wrote the demo software and updated it and did not seem to lose anything even my favorites. I still have to check the screws and alignments. The Head is a little tight on the rise but smooth. The flex cable seemed a little dry, at least no film on my fingers when I inspected it. It got a cute little QC sticker next to the bar code and the system clock reports 20 minutes of run time. I don't plan on losing any sleep, just gonna take my time an fire it up slowly. The overall construction is not bad for a home hobby wood carver about the same a my planer but just cost four times as much.

bigguy
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I just picked mine up tonight also and hope to get home from work tomarrow night in time to cut a small project. Loaded some on the memory card ready to go.
You guys that have had yours awhile what would be a good pre startup check list.
The bits that came with it are allready mounted in the holders and checking with wrench seem tight. James :D

The Bard
01-24-2007, 09:58 PM
*edited for updated technique*

if it feels tighter coming up or going down, the guide poles might be slightly off.

First place the machine on its back (where the vaccuum bag would be) and remove the 12 screws of the bottom panel.

then simply crank the head all the way down and (with a 10mm socket) loosen the four bolts in the side panels. Just loosen, not remove.

Next you slide the machine till the side is hanging over the edge a little. Reach up underneath and loosen the sister bolts to those on top. Do this for both sides. After that Then crank the head up about halfway and it will reset the guide poles. Then tighten the four bolts (do all of one side at a time, not top/bottom, but left/right). Not too tight, just hand-tight. It should be smooth after that.

We're using a teflon based spray to lubricate the guide poles. Don't spray directly on them, though. Spray a little on a towel and wipe them down. I use white lithium grease on the large screw shafts though.

Of course, I'm not an expert. :twisted:

Cliff
01-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks Bard I give that a try tonight after I pick up some lubes, I think I'll check at NAPA after I stop off at Starbucks. Your response was around 10 at night, do you get to log your time or you just that dedicated?
Thanks again I look forward to more words of wisdom.

Malfunction
01-25-2007, 07:23 AM
i got mine yesterday as well :D .

i didn't have time to do anything except read the manual again. i am going to call in sick today and spend some quality time with my new toy.

The Bard
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm just that dedicated hehe...

I actually didn't leave until 8:15 that night. At home I generally check for posts here also. To me, there's no time limit on information when ya'll paid for a machine you need help with.

but of course, I'm an idiot. :wink:

Autodoc
01-25-2007, 12:10 PM
but of course, I'm an idiot. :wink:

No just dedicated -- and trust me we all appreciate that dedication!!!

From all of us with and without machines --- Thank you!

The Bard
01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
:oops:

ChipMonk
01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Bard,
Your interaction with the people here is actually one of the reasons I'm leaning toward getting a machine despite the problems reported. That and getting a 5 year warranty from Sears might be enough to sway me...

pwngsd
02-02-2007, 02:10 PM
There is no 5 year warranty at Sears, according the rep and their supervisor. Anyone that got the warranty will be refunded their money. some were selling the general power tool warranty in error.
The rep I talked to said I was the third person that day to talk to her.

-Paul

ChipMonk
02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I figured that was going to happen. Sears was never too swift. :oops: I still want the machine but I think I will wait until the dust settles. Four to six months to get the production bugs worked out and the backlog of repairs cleared out. :roll: There seems to be a fair amount of supply problems as well such as getting a machine, replacement parts for the machines, standard bits for the machine and some software/computer bugs. I really do not want to get a machine, break a bit and then wait weeks to get another bit. That would push me over the edge.:twisted: Looks like CW is going to have growing pains for a few months. Bard wrote awhile back that they had sold 4000 machines and another user posted that they were told they had a 10% return rate on the machines. That is 400 machines.. Not a good sign for the immediate future. That will also keep them busy for in-house repairs as well as sending out repair parts. I think that will add up to a really slow repair time. Still I think it is a great idea and a decent price so I will just postpone the purchase for a few months until the bugs are worked out. While I wait I will collect all the cool posting of other peoples projects with the hope of doing some of those at a latter date. :wink:

The Bard
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
the 10% was based on the first two batches of machines, not the last couple of weeks as well.

numbers and ratios change as problems are found and fixed.

Alot of problems were user errors, most were manufacturing issues, and some were just bad luck or shipping damage.

I've seen nowhere near 400 machines with problems here... heck, i haven't even dealt with half that number.