PDA

View Full Version : Rough edges

easybuilt
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Can someone look at this mpc, the letters and circles don't have smooth edges. When you look close they are quite pronounced. I carved it an it looks terrible.
Anyone who can improve the quality would be much appreciated.
Thank you for looking.

mtylerfl
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Tom,

It's the artifacts from the jpg photo causing the roughness/texture. You can smooth them manually in the Pattern Editor or obtain a higher quality graphic from the artist(s). Specify a 8-bit or 16-bit greyscale png.

I should mention it won't work to just convert the existing jpg to png. Must be done from the original eps file for best results. Or, you could manually re-create the logo in a graphics program (CorelDRAW, Illustrator, or even a good photo editing program). Then save from that to a high-quality png.

easybuilt
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks Michael, I 'll give t a try.

Kenm810
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
A quick try with Paint.Net, also added a little Blur to clean up the edges and text

eelamb
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Great job Ken

fwharris
03-22-2012, 04:39 PM
A quick try with Paint.Net, also added a little Blur to clean up the edges and text

Nice job Ken! Great to see you back in our part of the wood dust!!!

easybuilt
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
That came out GREAT Ken!! Thanks as always for your help my friend.

mtylerfl
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Excellent job, Ken. A little "texture" and staired edges remains here and there, but nothing a little sandpaper won't cure! Much better than the original, for sure!

EDIT: Looking a little closer...some of the lettering is recessed now, instead of raised. It still should carve well if you lower the thickness of the PTN to about 0.1" to 0.125". The center (thin) portions of the inside of the lettering will be prone to chipout. Reducing the thickness (i.e., Depth setting in Designer) should help.

easybuilt
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Here is the sign I finished from your help and especially Ken!
My customer loved it and it matches his furniture nicely.

cnsranch
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Nice job - looks great!

gregsolano
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Really nice, nice paint job as well.

mtylerfl
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Tom, that came out super! Excellent paint job!

rcdages
04-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice job Tom.

Dark stain on the board really makes the painted part stand out.

easybuilt
04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks Michael, Greg, Robert and Jerry!
When Nationwide saw it they paid him the cost of the sign, maybe I'll get a few more orders!!

Icutone2
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
GREAT job Tom, really like the paint.
Lee

Dan-Woodman
04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Be carefull , that could be a copyrighted logo.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Sadly... I was thinking the same thing... The Vinyl Sign Shop near Sony in Philly about 10 years ago... Made a 15 foot Harley Sticker for the side of a guy's Trailer. At a Bike Show the Harley Guys said.. "Hey... We can only get that Decal in 12 foot.... Where did you get the 15 footer?" The guy so pleased with the 15 footer said... HERE... This is HIS BUSINESS CARD.... Up in Bristol, PA Bucks County... I went by the shop one day and it was empty... :confused: The Gas Station guy said Harley Took his Business and HE IS In JAIL... They brought a big Dumpster and smashed all the equipment and tossed it into the dumpster....

Copyright and Registered is no Joke.... As soon as you exchange MONEY.... Say Hello to your Bunk Mate "BUBBA" that whispers in your ear as the lights go out.... "Tell me again why you are HERE"....

Sorry... People get paid to search out Copyright Violations... All the Spiders and Search Bots watching as I am typing are not Goggle looking to place this page #1 on a Search... and could be Copyright Police....

I have been in business 5 years and have been studying the Laser Engraving Business for about 9 years... This is a Hot Topic in the Laser World...

Nice Paint Job !!! Looks Great.... It would have been better if you donated it to him.... You have a NICE Sign Shop.... That Picture of YOU with a HAMMER and Chisel is PRICELESS..... LOL.... Nice work on the Signs you have done.

AL

easybuilt
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks Al and Dan!
Al, You taught me that a couple years ago. You ALWAYS full of great advise. I received a release from Nationwide and they paid the agent for the sign.
Thanks for the great comments. That why this is so much fun with friends like you!