PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Z axis stall

cueldon
03-21-2012, 03:58 AM
I am in need of some help with trying to clear the error code Z-axis stall. I have tried to test the Z axis but it just goes back to "test z axis" as well as test cut motor,.. the x and y xais' test and guve info but not the others.. the error code came on during a project, this machine is a first model but only has about 7 hours on it. I bought it used from an older gent who wasn't physically able to use it anymore due to health problems. I have ran 5 or 6 projects myself and was just getting the hang of it when it hit..the last project I ran i used a board that was boarderline 1/2"... not sure if thaty caused this problem...PLEASE can anyone help me?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

fwharris
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I would start off with seeing if your machine has the A907 Zpak upgrade since you stated it is a first model, A machine. The link here will help you identify if it is or not.
Your symptoms sound very similar to what I was having with my A machine. You can also call into CarveWright and they should be able to tell you based on your machine ID number.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/A907_id.pdf

cueldon
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for taking time to help Mr harris,,,, It has the old board

fwharris
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Give them a call on this and describe your problem and I bet they will get you set up for the upgrade.

cueldon
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
thks for your help ...you said it sounded like a problem you had b4.... what was the cure?

fwharris
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
a907 upgrade fixed me right up. I was having the Z stall errors like you are having. When I called in they looked up my machine info and saw that my machine did not have the upgrade.

Digitalwoodshop
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Then the Fix is to order the Kit and replace the parts. The Older 18 pin FFC Cable was thinner than the newer 14 pin system. The 14 pin has been very reliable. Most likely one of the very thin 18 conductors of the early cable has opened or broken.

Remember when you finish installing the kit the machine will start up with "Scan Area" in the LCD and you will need to follow the instruction to change the Probe Data input from Truck to Cover... The Connector on the inside of the cover keypad side.

Good Luck with your machine.... Since your machine also has the early generation of Board Detector, I would order one now and save on shipping later. Your board detector is not glued to the black plastic holder and vibration will cause the LED's to snap off. This also let dust get down inside the plastic window. The way to test the Board Sensor is to put a sheet of white copy paper on the board and crank the head down. Use the Options and Sensor Data and a 156 for Board Sensor is PERFECT.... A 90 would be a dirty lens.

If you still have the QC, I would consider changing to the ROCK Chuck or the CarveTite. The QC will wear out and vibrate like crazy at high RPM and you could damage the L2 Coil in the power supply giving you a Power Interruption as the machine looses power and it can also cause the C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board under the machine to snap off. This would not let the Cut Motor work properly.... and can even cause the cut motor to start without the computer telling it to start.... So never bypass the right side cover safety switch....

OK.... Stepping off my Soap Box.... Find Tips and Tricks on the CW Site and read them. Lots more good info.... Especially on Proper Lubrication of the Flex Shaft.... $75.00 plus Shipping to ignore it.... In$entive....

Good Luck,

AL

cueldon
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
well i just ordered the Zpack kot and hopefully i'll be up and running in a week or so... thx e1 for your inputs..... I know this machine will be worth it in the long run, it's just hard to swallow , a machine built to carve wood is so sensitive to sawdust....BTW i already replaced the board sensor... thx all

katec911
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
I too am stuck in the old z-axis stall. It happened once when it was carving corian. Now it happens when the truck is going over to the kick out plate on the right side of the machine. I have replaced the board sensor, which from the readings showed bad anyway... I have tried every trick that I have read about.... from switching the direction I have the flex shaft in the casing, the dime trick, cleaning out the chuck where the bit fits into... making sure the bit is all the way in, so now they are telling me that it is a short somewhere and to check all the connections and make sure each is tight and I may have to send it in to be fixed... which I am not looking forward to seeing that bill. So I did find the ribbon wire, I think its called an ffc cable .. looks like it has a little nick int he bottom of the ribbon... cant tell if its cut thru to the wire... but I ordered one of those so I am crossing my fingers... I am pretty stubborn and really don't want to send it in!

katec911
03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
but boy do I miss my machine!!!

Digitalwoodshop
03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
DANGER !!!!! Make sure if you order a FFC CABLE that you KNOW if you have the old 18 pin system OR the new 14 pin system. They only sell the new 14 pin FFC cable. IF you plug a 14 pin cable into a old 18 pin Circuit Board the wider pins of the 14 pin will short out the 18 pin jack. The result will cost you a New Computer, New Power Supply and some Boards.....

LHR should ASK before you buy...

I only bring this up because older systems are showing up... And some don't know the danger....

AL

katec911
03-22-2012, 06:32 AM
I counted the pins ... I have the 14 pin .... I am hoping that fixes it... cause I just got into lithographs and want to make more!

katec911
04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi a quick update to my problem... changed the FCC cable.. seemed to work until it just started to carve... Z axis stall. So I called Carvewright who seem to really know me now! Always very friendly and helpful! So I needed a Z axis motor.. got it installed and what do you know it worked! I ran 3 nice lithos..then I got ... clean the y axis rails... ok.. cleaned and it worked fine for the next part of the litho ... until the motor seemed to speed up .. then slow down and stop.. y axis stall.. cleaned the rails again.. ran the tests for the x y z and cut motors.. seemed fine.. started another project and it seemed to sound a litte "funny" kind of laboring I think on the y axis.. but it turned out my best litho ever! Havent turned it on again... but I plan on cleaning the machine very well and checking it all out... any thoughts would be appreciated! thanks for listening!

fwharris
04-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Carving Corian or acrylic material requires more attention to your clean up detail after each carve, as you have probably noticed! The dust/chips will compact and stick to the Y and Z rails and bearings plus get imbedded into the groves of the belts. Just wiping down and blowing the machine out with the compressor will not remove them. I've had to use a small pick and steal wool to get them removed from the rails, bearing faces and belts. Removing the top cover to do this would be a good idea so you can see and get to all of the areas.

katec911
04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you FW.. The corian turns into a talcum like powder and gets everywhere... I certainly will try that.. thanks so much I love this forum!

katec911
04-08-2012, 06:45 AM
so why would my cut motor sound like its speeding up then slowing down... then in the middle of a project it slowed down and stopped altogether... tested the cut motor .. says its running but it isnt... do I now need a cut motor or does anybody think its a bad connection or broken wire someplace??? thanks for anybodys input in advance!

chief2007
04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Read the thread on 250 hr maintenance thread - http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20413-250-Maintenance-Requirements&highlight=maintenance

Good chance that you have dust particles, wood or corian/acrylic, in the motor and it might be blocking the brushes from making good contact. Also if you have 250 hours on your machine you might need to replace the brushes. As you know the corian/acrylic dust gets and sticks everywhere.

Digitalwoodshop posted some pictures there of the A/C motor opened up showing how the dust builds up

katec911
04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Does anybody know if you can buy the brushes for the cut motor at lowes? I noticed you can buy some things there, but I swore off lowes years ago because of a very bad customer service problem.. but I am willing to try them again if I dont have to wait for them to come from LHR. Thanks, again...BTW I love the forum.. one of my favorite sites that I check a few times a day!

henry1
04-08-2012, 09:57 AM
were are you located might be able to help

Digitalwoodshop
04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Ask Bud had some for sale too.....

AL

katec911
04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
henry .. I am in CT New Haven area

henry1
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I sent you a private message Katec911

gregsolano
04-08-2012, 12:50 PM
No they do not sell brushes at lowes.

henry1
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
check your private message if you want brushes

henry1
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
so why would my cut motor sound like its speeding up then slowing down... then in the middle of a project it slowed down and stopped altogether... tested the cut motor .. says its running but it isnt... do I now need a cut motor or does anybody think its a bad connection or broken wire someplace??? thanks for anybodys input in advance!
if you want brushes check your private message