PDA

View Full Version : Installed a new y motor

Milanth
03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I thought my Y motor was bad. I kept getting a error clean Y rail. I had this for 2 days then it locked up and wouldn't move. I finally got it to free up. I carved 2 more plaques. The next day I got the same error and I could not move the chuck at all. I aborted the project and the motor went to hone position. At that point it wouldn't move at all. I thought the motor had locked up. I ordered a new Y motor and installed it last night. It is very hard to move the chuck down the Y rail. It is clean of debris. I clean and put a small amount of 3-in-1 oil on the bar after every carve. I have not turned the machine on yet since I have put the new motor in. I have taken tension off almost completely and it is still hard to move the chuck down the rail. Any suggestions???

bergerud
03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I think you have to look at the carriage bearings. They may be too tight, or most likely, jammed up with dust. The fine dust gets past the seals. You may need to pop off the seals, blow out the dust, oil, and replace the seals. I had this problem before I got dust collection.

Milanth
03-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Are the carriage bearings on the truck itself? Upper and lower on both side? I had it plugged in backwards. I plugged it in right and tried to carve. It did okay until it came time to load the bit. When it went to the striker the truck would barely move at the last then it wouldn't kick the plate out to load the bit.

bergerud
03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Ok, I am confused. I thought you meant that the truck was hard to manually move. With the machine off, can you push the truck left, right, and up and down with little effort? If it feels rough or lumpy, it could be the bearings like I said. There are 8 of them which run on the round rails. They have U shaped dust scrapers on the out side which easily pull off. They also have seals like any sealed bearing. These seals can be popped off with a dental pick to reveal the balls inside.

If you are unfamiliar with the truck bearings, you should look up the Y truck and Z truck replacement pdfs.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/maintenance.php

Milanth
03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks I will check out the link. It moves up and down fine. It is hard to mover across the Y bar. I just tried to run it and it would not go far enough to kick the plate out to set the bit up to carve. I worked with it manually back and forth several times and finally got it to kick the plate out manually. I haven't tried anything yet.

fwharris
03-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I would check the bearing in the Y gear box that the Y motor is attached to. Seeing that you are a user since 2009 I am betting they are bad.

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
With the Motor out you should take that opportunity to slide the truck back and forth. You will likely find....

1. One of the 4 roller bearings is sticking.

2. The lower part of the Round Rail has a excess of sawdust laminated on it due to the roller packing and packing and packing it....

I use a wire tooth brush with some mineral spirits to scrub the lower rail.

3. You said motor was replaced. Just the Motor or the Motor and Gear Box... The Gear Box has 2 bearings on the big plastic wheel that go bad and let the white wheel rub on the U part of the Frame. Even a new motor installed and not centered in the U opening of the frame can RUB and give you the problems you are having....

MANY of the Y Sticking problems are or can be caused by SAWDUST.... I highly recommend getting the Ringneck Blues Dust Hood.... and a good dust collector... Removes the source of SO many problems... DUST....

Good Luck,

AL

mathman
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
.... and a good dust collector...

What qualifies as a good dust collector?

AskBud
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
What qualifies as a good dust collector?First let me state that Shop Vacs are not Dust collectors (DC).
Dust collectors are designed for continuous running, shop vacs are not.
You want a DC unit that moves air 650 CFM or better.
Here is a link to one such DC.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19609&rrt=1

If you have not gotten, or made, a top mounted vacuum head check out this link as well.
http://www.wix.com/littleredwoodshop/cnccorner/dust-collection
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Everyone is correct.... And the BEST Dust Filter BAG or HARD FILTER you can afford.... In the cheaper filter bags they let the little stuff through and that is in the END what is going to KILL YOU.... I know... I had a Cheap BAG for Years and HACKED up my share of Lung Cake.... This hard pleated filter from Penn State is the best I could get.

AL

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/filtration.html