PDA

View Full Version : RingNeckBlues DC-INSERT video

fwharris
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
For those who have not seen a video of the DC-INSERT in action. This was recorded and posted by PCW a couple of years ago showing the original top hook up version with the Rock Chuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3eqfN4YIMrk

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3eqfN4YIMrk)

mtylerfl
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
That sure does do a terrific job!! Almost totally "dust free"! Excellent.

fwharris
03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
That sure does do a terrific job!! Almost totally "dust free"! Excellent.

Thanks Michael and yes it is. Even better with the side hook up version.

bergerud
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I like how the video shows how the rogue chips have their directions reversed and get sucked up by the large air flow. Someone should post a video of your latest model. Pictures of the machine state after a carve would also be nice.

lynnfrwd
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Great video Floyd. You might also want to add a description to your Youtube video. That way if someone is searching for CarveWright / CompuCarve or Dust Collection, they will pull up your video. Make sure you use as many keywords in your description as you can. Where to order, etc.

fwharris
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Great video Floyd. You might also want to add a description to your Youtube video. That way if someone is searching for CarveWright / CompuCarve or Dust Collection, they will pull up your video. Make sure you use as many keywords in your description as you can. Where to order, etc.

Just got an IM from Dan (PCW) and he updated the video with tags. Thanks Dan!! :)

fwharris
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I like how the video shows how the rogue chips have their directions reversed and get sucked up by the large air flow. Someone should post a video of your latest model. Pictures of the machine state after a carve would also be nice.

I will see if I can get one with the side hook up. That will be going into uncharted territory for me, will see what I can do with my smart phone.

rcdages
03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I agree with Michael 100% it does a Terrific Job.

Great to see the video.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
That is a great video and I just wanted to add ... I love my DC from Floyd and I'll tell you why.

The number one and most important reason is machine maintenance ... I believe that having the DC has reduced my accordance of stalls, clean up time (I'm not stopping the machine to vacuum it out), wear on bits and moving parts (things aren't covered in dust) and it has given me the freedom to experiment with other materials that I may have not used. (I don't worry about the chips sticking in the rollers and all over inside the machine).

I also wonder if the DC doesn't help the machine run a little cooler as well ... at 650cfm+ it seems to cause enough airflow through the vents in the back of the machine and anywhere else there is a hole that it is "cooling" the machine ... any input on this would be appreciated.

I can go all the way back to writing the January 2009 Tips and Tricks on lithopanes and remember Michael Tyler asking me "well how often do you stop your machine and vacuum it out when your making one (lithopane) ... " my response was "I don't because I have Floyd's DC .... "

fwharris
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Jason,

Thanks for the great post on the added benefits of having a good dust collection system.

rcdages
03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Very nice Jason.

Never thought about the cooling part. Interesting .

PCW
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Just as a note. This machine was not cleaned prior to caving this project. I had caved a least 2 projects prior to this one without cleaning between projects. It is using a small 1 hp 650 cfm dust collector as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3eqfN4YIMrk

fwharris
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Dan,
Thanks for the added information on the video!! :)

chief2007
05-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Yesterday I got my 2 DC inserts from Jason (thanks you again btw). I install them today and gave them a test. (thank you Floyd for emailing the installation directions)

Project - colonial patriot eagle box, red oak wood, optimal carve setting. Running same project on 2 differnt machines.

My Version A machine: used a 106 CFM portable dust collector from Rikon. Version C Machine used a 914 CFM I got at HFT, which of course took care of business very handily with the DC Insert.

What surprised me the most how well the 106 CFM unit worked with the DC Insert. Pictures attached and if that is all I get for dust after a 3 hour carve and cut using a 106 CFM dust collection unit, I will take that any day.

Proof is in the pictures - thank you Floyd for an awesome product.

gapdev
05-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I too am amazed at how efficient Floyd's DC is and am upset with myself that I went so long without it.

I have the 660 CFM, 1hp unit from Harbor Freight and I swear, there is less than a tablespoon of dust left in the machine after a 5 hour carve.

It is amazing that your little 106 CFM does so well.

Kenny

fwharris
05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Steve and Ken,

Thanks for posting your info on the DC-INSERT! I was also surprised how well the little 106 cfm dust collector did. Still a bit of dust left behind but sure a lot less with out it.

Thanks again,

fwharris
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Just sharing what the machine looked like after carving in some sign foam..

chebytrk
05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Floyd, So the foam you used.... is it basically the same type as the pink foam from Home Depot? I've yet to carve on it and will probably do it soon. I'm guessing that it'll probably be best to use a paint spray pencil or something when it comes time to paint it up. Just don't know if using a brush would come out OK on the foam board.

I just carved this on some scrap wood that I had. I'm kinda thinking that maybe a spray paint pencil might be something to look in to.

fwharris
05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Jerry,

No this is not the insulation board. It is HDU 15 lb sign board. Very dense material, no air pockets.
I have some of the insulation board but have not carved it. I think some have posted that they do some special treatment to the board before painting. On mine I just used black spray can paint then acrylic paint.

fwharris
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I've been working on an upgraded design for the DC-INSERT. Working on increasing the intake length to gain more coverage over the board and increasing the depth/thickness to reduce the air restriction for better/increase air flow through the insert.

Intake end will be approximately 14 1/2" (gain of about 1/2") and doubled the over all area inside.

I was also asked to look at how to NOT CUT THE CLEAR COVER and still use the insert. Some are reluctant to modify the cover so I've been told. Looking at how the cover tabs match up to the switches it looks like a very simple solution. By adding a thin shim to the leading edge of the tab (long flat area that of the tab that pushes against the switch plunger) it will make the contact for the switch and hold the cover off of the insert. The plunger on the switch extends just enough out of the cover frame so that when the cover is closed the tab pushes the plunger in. The length of the tab is more than the area of the plunger so that the tab in fact rests against cover frame. No pictures right now but will get some up later. The shim does not need to be very thick, what I used as a test was a small piece of weed eater line cord to give you an idea of the thickness.

Some, me being one of em, have raised the concern of having the weight of the cover against the switches and causing them to fail or get pushed back. This might not be the case since the tabs do in fact rest against the frame..

Let me know your thoughts please!!

olsenla
11-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi Floyd,

Always glad to see improvement and design refinement, but I must say I'm more than impressed with the one I got from you about three months ago. I can do several simple carves with no cleaning required. When I do clean it is just a quick blast of air and I'm ready to lube it. I'm really surprised how good it works. Good luck with the new design. By the way it didn't bother me at all to cut my cover---it was my second cover. I had already butchered the first with my own idea lol.

Larry

fwharris
11-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi Floyd,

Always glad to see improvement and design refinement, but I must say I'm more than impressed with the one I got from you about three months ago. I can do several simple carves with no cleaning required. When I do clean it is just a quick blast of air and I'm ready to lube it. I'm really surprised how good it works. Good luck with the new design. By the way it didn't bother me at all to cut my cover---it was my second cover. I had already butchered the first with my own idea lol.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks a lot for your comments on my current design and how well it works. I was a bit surprised to hear that cutting the clear cover was a real issue with some and it was the reason they went with another type. But there are those who are very reluctant to make simple modifications. I have even gone as far as looking at the possibility of including a pre cut door to go with the DC-INSERT.

Thanks again and happy dust less carving!!

Bigtyme
11-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Floyd,
I really like the new version and thought the original was darn good as well. I had already carved the collector that was posted on the forum and while it works pretty well, I think your design is more efficient. I like the idea of having an option to purchase along with a new cover. I would need one as I modified my cover to work with the collector posted on the forum. I am saving my pennies and hope to be able to order one soon.

fwharris
11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks John! Looking forward to your order. If you are talking about Fredirck's version you might be able to just modify the cover to work with the insert.

Bigtyme
11-04-2012, 04:31 PM
It is early Frediricks version and it is pretty good, but with a centered upright hose connection, it is a little tough to changes bits. I think either way I will get a new cover when I order a new dc to better be modified to work with your collector.

mikemi
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Floyd,
I was one of those who did not want to cut the clear cover. What I did was put a small piece of self sticking felt on the contact points of the cover and with the cover closed,
everything works fine. You do have to watch that the felt does not fall off though. It did for me once on the side away from the keyboard, and when the project started, i
t said it was carving but the cut motor was not running. I stopped it in time so that I did not break a bit. Now I am in the habit of checking before each carve is started.
I am still very impressed with how the DC-Insert works and the amount of clean up time it saves me.

Mike

fwharris
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback/info on how you worked around not cutting the cover. I played with different self stick materials and noticed most was good for a while but the stickem did not hold up very well. I found that using tape wrapped around the cover tab worked/lasted longer..

Thanks again,