PDA

View Full Version : My updated website

TerryT
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Even though I wasn't finished building it, I got tired of the old "Unique Gifts" website. It was extremely hard to update. So I build a new, better, more functional, easy to use and better looking site (at least I think). In keeping with my long standing tradition, it isn't finished yet. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://uniquegiftsofwood.com

thanks.

jpaluck
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Nice and clean I like it

Gary Koval
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I second what John said, Terry it's a keeper...
Gary

mathman
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Looks nice, but how is security handled? Never could find any indication of a secure server being used for creating an account, logging in, or in the checkout process (although I didn't attempt to complete a full checkout). What benefit do you get by pasting the user's IP number on the bottom of each page? Just a couple of things I noticed on a really quick glance.

TerryT
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
how is security handled?

On checkout the customer is passed to the secure server (Paypal IPN). Paypal handles all the payment info then re-directs the customer back to the site after payment completion.

roostinridge
03-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Nice looking website. I too use Zencart for a couple of sites I have. Lots of support and I think they have a addon for anything you could ever want.

Nice job!

gregsolano
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
It looks really nice, If you don't mind me asking are you getting sales from the site, or is this a good place to send people to see your work but the sales are made in person?

mathman
03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
On checkout the customer is passed to the secure server (Paypal IPN). Paypal handles all the payment info then re-directs the customer back to the site after payment completion.

That sounds great - but what about signing into the site? If that's not done over a secure server the password is generally considered to be compromised which has the potential of compromising stored user data.

David

TerryT
03-13-2012, 07:08 AM
It looks really nice, If you don't mind me asking are you getting sales from the site, or is this a good place to send people to see your work but the sales are made in person?

Both, we get orders from all over. Just got one from Alaska in fact. But it does also work to send customers to so they can see what we have. When we do craft fairs, etc, we can't keep a lot of stuff with us. I tell quite a few folks to go to both our sites and look around.

TerryT
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I use it for both of our sites. Once setup it is very easy to add or delete products and maintain the site.

TerryT
03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
That sounds great - but what about signing into the site? If that's not done over a secure server the password is generally considered to be compromised which has the potential of compromising stored user data.

David
Wrong. The password is encrypted in the SQL database. Even I can't get a customers password.

eelamb
03-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Terry both of your sites look great. Nice and clean looking, and easy to navigate.

TerryT
03-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks Eddie. Coming from a professional that means alot!

easybuilt
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Very beautiful site and well organized Terry. Nice job!!

chebytrk
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Speaking of websites......... Anyone know of any free type websites? I don't have one, but I think I'd like to give it a try and see how it goes if I post of few of my carvings on it. I've got a FB page, but no website.

TerryT
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Jerry,
the one I am working on now is free. It's called Zen Cart. There are also free templates for it that will change the look completely. Just make sure you follow all of the security rules when setting it up. Like I said in the post above.. it is a bit of work to set up but one of the easiest to update and add or delete or change products.

TerryT
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Very beautiful site and well organized Terry. Nice job!!
Thanks Tom. BTW, I hope everything is going well for you. It looks like your business is taking off.

CNC Carver
03-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Very nice site. Thanks for sharing.

rcdages
03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Terry,

It looks great and really well put together.

mathman
03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Wrong. The password is encrypted in the SQL database. Even I can't get a customers password.

Sorry, Terry, but I'm not wrong. You are correct in that the password is encrypted in the SQL database, which is as it should be. BUT, until the password actually reaches the server running your site, the password is still in clear text. This means that if a secure channel is not used then the password and all other data being submitted is still perfectly readable to anyone running a sniffer program to trap internet traffic. End result: an account that cannot be guaranteed to be protected. Which is where the secure server comes in - it provides a way to encrypt the data in transit so even if a sniffer picks up the bits and bytes it does them no good. Even Zen Cart recommends the use of a secure server to properly secure user information.

Site looks good, probably works very well, but just needs the secure server to guarantee user's data isn't compromised.

easybuilt
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks Terry! You are very talented and a wonderful supporter.
I have been busy, I'm finishing a sign 30" X 36" going to New York. I'll post in a few days.
Keep coming up with some great ideas!

TerryT
03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Oops, right, I forgot to re-enable the ssl. Thanks mathman. Actually it was a mistake in the url.

CNC Carver
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Terry

My wife really likes your lighthouse cribage board and is giving me the challenge of making own for her to show me how to play cribage. Any chance you would share the pattern for that?

Thanks,
Jeff

TerryT
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Jeff, sorry but that is a commercial pattern and not mine to give. It is available at Vectorclip3d though.

CNC Carver
03-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks! I did some searching last night and didn't find it but now I know where to go. Your work is very impressive.

TerryT
03-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. Here is a link to the Lighthouse pattern (http://www.vectorclip3d.com/?ses=pub_MjAxMi0wMy0xNTA5OjA4OjM3&id=3&titre=&section=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=1043&zone_id=) on the Vectorclip site. The cribbage board mpc is available on my website (below).

liquidguitars
03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Nice job...

CNC Carver
03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Terry,

I'm assuming you use STL importer to import the Lighthouse STL pattern from VectorClip3D. Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Jeff

TerryT
03-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, I do use the STL importer. It is nice to be able to make fixes and changes.