PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright/Compucarve Clear dust collector

jkelsey5
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
1. Made of clear acrylic.
2. No permanent changes to machine required.
3. Safety features of machine remain.
4. mounts directly to machine with included 4mm screws.
5. Allows clear vision of carving bit.
6. Allows removal of bits without removing collector.
7. Allows use of 4" 1 1/2" 1 1/4" hoses with included adapters.
8. Allows for either left or right connection.
9. After 2 hour carve almost no dust or debris in machine.
10. Keeps bit and chuck cool.

Last but not least the cost, $55.00 + 9.00 shipping to US customers.
please e-mail me at jimkelsey1949@yahoo.com pay-pal is preferred

thank you Jim

Deolman
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Pictures???

rcdages
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Jim,

I sent you an e-mail.

Would like to see photo's please.

dltccf
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I would be interested in seeing pictures too. Do you have only one or are you making them to sell?

dave

chief2007
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I bought 2 of then from him, the work great, easy to install and love the fact I didn't have to cut the clear guard at all.

When I saw the photo of it, I didn't think they were very solid, but I was wrong, very solid and strong, well put together.

I added a ground wire to combat any static electricity that might build up, especially for my C machine with the heavy duty belts - it can really build up the static electricity.

Canemaker
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Could you post some pictures on this forum? Will you be represented at the conference? Does this work from above, backside, underside, ?? Thanks John

mtylerfl
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I bought 2 of then from him, the work great, easy to install and love the fact I didn't have to cut the clear guard at all.

When I saw the photo of it, I didn't think they were very solid, but I was wrong, very solid and strong, well put together.

I added a ground wire to combat any static electricity that might build up, especially for my C machine with the heavy duty belts - it can really build up the static electricity.

Hi Chief,

Folks are begging to see photos...where did you see one? Perhaps you could post a link, or help the fellow out and post pics of YOUR setup using his (Jim's) system.

fwharris
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
He has it listed on Ebay.. search for CarveWright..

eelamb
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but here is his images. He sells them on ebay.
The dust collector looks good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvewright-Compucarve-dust-collector-/251016212623?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3a71bb708f
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvewright-Compucarve-dust-collector-/251016212623?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3a71bb708f)

ladjr
03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
He Emailed me these pictures. However I don't see how he gets his vacuum in without cutting the screen

fwharris
03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but here is his images. He sells them on ebay.
The dust collector looks good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvewright-Compucarve-dust-collector-/251016212623?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3a71bb708f
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvewright-Compucarve-dust-collector-/251016212623?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item3a71bb708f)

That is the one I saw also Eddie...

ladjr
03-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Sorry Wrong Pictures. Before

I will try again

He Emailed me these pictures. However I don't see how he gets his vacuum in without cutting the screen

fwharris
03-12-2012, 08:46 PM

In the Ebay listing he has this statement: Allows easy installation without permanent changes to machine with 2 self adhesive pads mounted directly on microswitches allows for safety feature to remain intact without cutting cover of unit.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
hmmmm ... I am not really sure I want my cover switches rendered useless ... just sayin! The edit to the machine that is required for Floyd's DC allows them to continue to function.

bergerud
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, some of you know from experience, do you not need a 4 inch system with some serious cfm to power such an intake slot? A shop vac with a 1.25 or 1.5 inch hose cannot keep up with a slot that size. Many chips which are initially thrown in the wrong direction will get away.

I suggest that members hold off until they see a video of this thing in action before they buy it. I do not see it competing with the RingNeckBlues dust collector for effectiveness. With a shop vac, I predict only 75% effectiveness. I suspect the RingNeckBlues dust collector is better than 95% with the high volume 4 inch.

With four or five systems now, maybe we need a benchmark test. A sample carve which can be compared on video tests.

(edit: I think the switch actuators are simply shimmed to close the switches sooner so the cover can rest higher on the collector.)

Cabinetdesigner
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
hmmmm ... I am not really sure I want my cover switches rendered useless ... just sayin! The edit to the machine that is required for Floyd's DC allows them to continue to function.

I understood it to mean that it allow all safety features intacted possibly meaning that the switches being extended

Cabinetdesigner
03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I understood it to mean that it allow all safety features intacted possibly meaning that the switches being extended

Don't get me wrong I have the ringneckblues collector and I love it.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Soooo if the claim is that this system makes no change to the safety systems on the CarveWright and that is accomplished by using something to close the cover switches you could do the same thing with the RingNeckBlues DC.

Cabinetdesigner
03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Soooo if the claim is that this system makes no change to the safety systems on the CarveWright and that is accomplished by using something to close the cover switches you could do the same thing with the RingNeckBlues DC.

Yes I agree.

Cabinetdesigner
03-12-2012, 10:30 PM

I realize these are the wrong pictures but now you have my curiosity perked what is it?

bergerud
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I think the vacuum head is thinner than the RingNeckBlues which would more easily allow the switch trick. (This begs me to ask question again as to the flow rate.)

ladjr
03-12-2012, 11:03 PM

Here is the finished project Sorry the pictures are upside down. This is only my second attempt at posting pictures.
That is my latest project. I found it in a scroll saw magazine and figured Carvewright could do it. Here is the finished project.

ladjr
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I realize these are the wrong pictures but now you have my curiosity perked what is it?

This is my latest project. I saw the pattern in a scrollsaw Magazine and thought I could do this with the Carvewright.

fwharris
03-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, some of you know from experience, do you not need a 4 inch system with some serious cfm to power such an intake slot? A shop vac with a 1.25 or 1.5 inch hose cannot keep up with a slot that size. Many chips which are initially thrown in the wrong direction will get away.

I suggest that members hold off until they see a video of this thing in action before they buy it. I do not see it competing with the RingNeckBlues dust collector for effectiveness. With a shop vac, I predict only 75% effectiveness. I suspect the RingNeckBlues dust collector is better than 95% with the high volume 4 inch.

With four or five systems now, maybe we need a benchmark test. A sample carve which can be compared on video tests.

(edit: I think the switch actuators are simply shimmed to close the switches sooner so the cover can rest higher on the collector.)

First off my applause for his design of his system. Some what similar to the one posted a couple of months ago by the gentleman who's business was helping others design and market their concepts.

My first thoughts were also possible limitations in air flow with a 1.25 or 1.5 inch hose and a shop vac system or a 4" being reduced down what looks like maybe 1.5 inches. As I progressed through my evolution of the DC-INSERT I observed increased dust removal in the system as I increased both the size of the unit and the hose connection size to the unit. I am certain that this design is effective in removing a good amount of dust depending on what is hooked up to it.

With out being able to view the actual cover switch modification set up and position of the clear cover in the closed position and again can only go on my experience with in trying a similar approach. I found that having the weight of the cover pushing against the switches worked but did still experience intermittent "close cover error" caused by normal machine and dust collection vibration. In design when the clear cover is at rest in the closed position the cover tabs and switches are positioned so that the only force being placed on the switch is the cover tab pushing on the switch plunger.

bergerud, You being of sound and objective mind, are you volunteering to be the independent judge?? ;)

bergerud
03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
I agree, it is a nice clean design. He must have made some molds to form the acrylic. I just do not think it will work that well with only a 1.5 inch outlet. I have read many posts on this type of vacuum head and it seems clear that the very large flow rate of a serious vacuum system is required. I cannot imagine that this will be very effective if it is powered by a shop vac. (I also recall other members reporting that these high powered shop vacs burn out with 100% duty.)

It worries me that the product is being sold without even a demonstration of how it works. I say beware because the design of the thing seems to contradict the knowledge accumulated by the many members of this forum who have experimented with this type of system. I may be wrong, after all, I have a completely different dust collecting system.

I do think we need a benchmark test. I challenge jkelsey5 to give a video demonstration (with attached .mpc) of a carving of varying depths.

chief2007
03-13-2012, 05:25 AM
As with most of the dust collectors, using a shop vac is not as effective as a dust collection system, however it is nice to have the option available and adapters included with the product.

They are some carvers out there that do not have a dust collection system, but do have shop vacs of one sort or another.

Yes would be great to have a comparison of all the dust collectors carving the same MPC and seeing the results.

The switches are extended with the self adhesive pads so as to allow for the safety features to work

I will try and get some more photos uplaoded today if Jim doesn't get to it before me.

Steve

jkelsey5
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I have since the photo's replaced the 2" to 3" which is the same volume of the collector inlet. I cannot see a appreciable increase in performance. I will however stay with the 3" which with a little lathe work will accept a 4" hose with included adapter as well as included 1 1/2 shopvac adapter. while still maintaining the clear acrylic main body, and providing self adhesive tabs to allow for install without any modifications to Carvewright. With a clear main body you can see performance. I will provide video when I have some time to do so.
Thanks jkelsey5
Jim

mtylerfl
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I have since the photo's replaced the 2" to 3" which is the same volume of the collector inlet. I cannot see a appreciable increase in performance. I will however stay with the 3" which with a little lathe work will accept a 4" hose with included adapter as well as included 1 1/2 shopvac adapter. while still maintaining the clear acrylic main body, and providing self adhesive tabs to allow for install without any modifications to Carvewright. With a clear main body you can see performance. I will provide video when I have some time to do so.
Thanks jkelsey5
Jim

Hi Jim,

question...I see in one of the photos a round "porthole" for the bit to touch-off at the keypad side. How big is the hole? Is it large enough to allow the V-bits and larger decorative bits to fit through? (It's hard to tell from the photo, but the hole looks too small for the larger bits.)

EDIT: Man, it's hard for me to really see the setup from the photos (my problem - not yours) - now I'm thinking that hole you are pointing to is actually a porthole for getting to the mounting screws - not a bit porthole afterall

fwharris
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks jkelsey5
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the follow up comments. My guess by going to the 3" pvc pipe it will give your system less restriction of air flow.