PDA

View Full Version : What's the purpose of the rubber stop collars?

FelixPQ
03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi,

what function do they serve?

Thanks,
Felix

AskBud
03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi,

what function do they serve?

Thanks,
FelixThere are two functions.
First, is to assure that the cutting head is a set distance from the chuck on the first and 2nd insert.
Second, (in my opinion) is to match the specs as to the proper distance the head (or cutting tip) should be from the chuck. They also keep the small bevel, behind some bit heads, from the chuck/collet. The bevel could end up causing the bit to loosen in the chuck or collet.

I bought my first set from LHR, but from then on, I just went to the hardware store and got some tubing and cut my own.
AskBud

signman9999
03-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Well I agree with that and I bought a set from LHR. But there are different sizes in them so does anyone have an idea as to the rhyme or reason for that?

Tom

lynnfrwd
03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
There's two sizes. 1/2 and 1/4 for the two different size bits in full bit set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FelixPQ
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Bud.

I thought it could have something to do with vibration as well.

Felix

badbert
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
There are two functions.
First, is to assure that the cutting head is a set distance from the chuck on the first and 2nd insert.
Second, (in my opinion) is to match the specs as to the proper distance the head (or cutting tip) should be from the chuck. They also keep the small bevel, behind some bit heads, from the chuck/collet. The bevel could end up causing the bit to loosen in the chuck or collet.

I bought my first set from LHR, but from then on, I just went to the hardware store and got some tubing and cut my own.
AskBud

So how do we know what the proper distance is?

AskBud
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
So how do we know what the proper distance is?For the decorative bits, we usually place the stop collar against the cutter head. The ball nose and straight bits need to extend about 1.2" from the chuck.
AskBUd

badbert
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Bud!

aokweld101
11-20-2012, 05:38 AM
when i recieved the carveright I thought it was for shipping to protect the arbor I did'nt know they had a reason.... I did'nt throw them away thank gosh...

aokweld101
11-20-2012, 05:49 AM
I thought when I recieved my carvewright they were there to protect the arbor for shipping I didnt throw them away...thank gosh...

cestout
11-20-2012, 05:33 PM
The problem is, they deform with the heat from the bit. I have a rub colar from my old router bit drwer that I keep on the 90deg V bit. I had a 1/2" one slide off an expensive 1/2" upcut straight bit into the carve and ruin the bit. The main puropse that I see is the make the first and second insertion of the bit match so you don't get a "refind".
Clint

AskBud
11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
The problem is, they deform with the heat from the bit. I have a rub colar from my old router bit drwer that I keep on the 90deg V bit. I had a 1/2" one slide off an expensive 1/2" upcut straight bit into the carve and ruin the bit. The main puropse that I see is the make the first and second insertion of the bit match so you don't get a "refind".
ClintOnce you have your 1st set of stop collarr you should not have to get packets frrom LHR! You simply buy 1/2 or 1/4" tubing from the local hardware store, use a razor knife, and cut your own!
AskBud

chief2007
11-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I started using a nylon spacer, .25 thick, .257 inside diameter, get them at lowes 2 for .92 cents for the 1/4 inch shaft bits.

No deforming so far because of heat, heat rated to 158 degrees.

I only use the tubing on the 1/4 inch round nose.

Working the same set up for the 1/2 inch shaft bits.

No errors on bit measurements any longer.

liquidguitars
11-21-2012, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE]The main puropse that I see is the make the first and second insertion of the bit match so you don't get a "refind".[/QUOTE

I like just to keep the carving bit in durning the first insertion to save on ware and tear of the machine and only change bits when running the part. hitting contune seem to work.

SteveNelson46
11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I use steel router bit stop collars. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v198-8043/maint_-_bearings_and_rub_collars A little pricey but, they work great.

fwharris
11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I use steel router bit stop collars. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v198-8043/maint_-_bearings_and_rub_collars A little pricey but, they work great.

I use the same thing. I have the full set but just use the 1/4 and 1/2 from it.

eelamb
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
I use O-rings, with a dab of CA glue on the cutting bit side. Has held in place and works great for me. Got the O-ring kit from harbor Freight, believe it was about $7