PDA

View Full Version : cutting out parts-newbie

rickyz
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I purchased my compucarve about a week ago and am testing the machines capabilities. carving, no problem. signs, piece of cake. Now, I want to cut out parts from patterns I already have. This is the main reason I purchased the machine and I can't get it to do what I want. What I am trying to do is take a piece of wood already cut. for example a reindeer out of 3/4 wood. I then trace around it with a black sharpie onto a blank piece of paper. Then I scan that into the computer. I actually got it to work once and the results were great. I just can't repeat it. I am using Photo express to save the scan as a jpeg file. when I import it to designer, it looks like it has a hard time reading the lines. I have searched for this problem on the forum but haven't found anything quite right. I would really hate to have to try to do this freehand on the computer and the wife is bugging me about seeing some results. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff_Birt
01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
The easyest way to do this is to make the background on the ouside of your pattern solid black (use flood fill tool, or its equivelant in your software). Then when you import it into designer you can raise/lower the image until only the shape remains. Then use the 'Outline' tool in Designer to create the tool path around your shape. I've attached the converted .jpg and a .ptn file I made form it in designer as an example.

rickyz
01-24-2007, 02:00 PM
ok, I tried that with another plan and I still came up with the same problems. the bucket fill worked great. I raised the image and everything looked good. then it all the cut paths don't line up. Where do I go wrong? I am sure it is something simple but I just can't figure it out. is my editing software not good enough? am I just not spending enough time cleaning up the image? do I need a smaller pen? Yikes!!! :]
Thanks for the help.

BobHill
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Rickyz,

This is where having using the vector tools comes in handy (and would be good practice for you. Apparently the scan of your outline isn't producing a good Outline Pattern path, so unless you get it better in your raster program, take it to a vector program such as CorelDraw, etc., you need to "trace" the outline with the Designer vector tools then delete the raster image you have and you'll get a very nice and clean cut of your Xmas Raindeer.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Would a flat bed scanner be of any help, just scan the object then do a trace? Skip the Sharpie.

AL

rickyz
01-25-2007, 01:27 AM
success!!!! I started playing around with the designer and I messed around with inverting the picture and it made a cut path!! Now my wife won't make me take this thing back. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.