PDA

View Full Version : Using the 3/16" Cutting Bit

lynnfrwd
03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I know we have discussed this before, but I couldn't find the posts and so I'm starting this thread. Hopefully, it will be easier to find next time I get asked.

Question is: Do I need to add an inset or compensate when using the 3/16" cutting bit?

If you are using the Cut Path Tool with the 3/16" cutting bit, than it goes by the edge of the bit, whether inside or outside the path.

If you are assigning the 3/16" cutting bit to a vector path (drawing tools included), then it goes by the middle of the bit.

brdad
03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

Something else that would be nice to know is what the max pass depth recommended by CW for the 3/16" bit as well as the other cutting bits. I understand material type makes a difference, but it seems there should be some guideline. I haven't used my 3/16" bit yet, Most everything I carve is in maple, I haven't decided if I dare to cut clear through or just use with 1/2" max pass depth. It's obvious there are times you can cut too deep for the bit - is there a depth that is too much for the machine? If you're cutting deep into hardwood with the 3/16" or even a 3/8" bit, can it be too much for the machine itself? To me it seems so but there is no data from CW on it I have seen.

Additionally and more off-topic as it's more of a feature request, it would be great if the defaults for the max path depths were an option for each bit so that setting would not have to be set on each project. For example, I've been setting the max path depth to .275" on each pass with the 1/8" bit, but I have to set that on every project. I have forgotten and broken bits, and on a project with many holes or cuts it's one more setting I have to keep changing. I'd be happy if there was even a text file where these settings could be edited for each bit.

rickyz
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
I cut out the latest project of the month and changed out the 1/8 bit with the 3/16 bit for the outline cuts... didn't do it with the drill feature. don't know if you even can change that one.. but had no issues with a size difference with it... came out great...

lynnfrwd
03-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that you should be able to do a full cut with 3/16" cutting bit (now watch someone prove me wrong). I am still unsure about 1/8". Sometimes here they do full cut and sometimes not. (mostly not I'd say). As I understand it, it is when the wood "closes" behind the bit that it snaps. So, which woods do that and which woods don't? As I said, I'm no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyz
03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
i hold my breath every time i use the 1/8 bit. usually set mine with multiple passes of .25 or .30... I also don't use the carvewright bits.... get mine from cw-parts... much better quality

ktjwilliams
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Funny,,, I don't do full passes either and yes I hold my breath too... But ta-day the bit snapped anyway... So I held my breath for nuttin ...

ladjr
04-11-2012, 09:42 PM
i hold my breath every time i use the 1/8 bit. usually set mine with multiple passes of .25 or .30... I also don't use the carvewright bits.... get mine from cw-parts... much better quality

What is CW-Parts

Leo

fwharris
04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
What is CW-Parts

Leo

Ron Justice who makes the Rock chuck

rickyz
04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
cw-parts.com instead of two flutes, his bits have four. including the 1/16th carving bit. so you can run your machine on best and get the same result as optimal... great time saver. I also use the 3/16th cutting and carving bit whenever I can. the carving bit is ok as long as there isn't a lot of detail in the project you are doing but really cuts the time on a project down a lot....