PDA

View Full Version : Does Ebay sales of others patterns hurt this forum?

CNC Carver
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I received the comment below from sfsales2000 where they feel that using other peoples paterns in there disk is not hurting this forum. And no one is changing how much they help or post. Please respond on how you feel. I have seen reduced postings of patterns and I attribute it to these sales. Some have removed all there past posts. If these were your own design I would back you 100% on selling your own item is fine. But sfsales2000 has not made that claim at all.

"Many of my patterns have been distributed through out the internet by others. I also have found the forum helpful and have seen no decrease in forum members helping each other, I often give many of my patterns away to someone who needs one. Many many members also make more money selling their patterns on the internet and through the forum then they do selling items they make with their carvewright.

- sfsales2000"

Deolman
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know if it hurts this forum or not. I do feel however that people selling others peoples patterns are the sleaziest of people. They are nothing more than common thieves! When someone creates a pattern it is technically copy-written. These sleazeballs steal the work to line their own products.

fwharris
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
It sure has hurt the forum!!! Many people (including myself) have stopped posting their free patterns here because of this very same issue. In the good old days I would give a WAG there were probably 20 to 50 patterns posted in one day. Not even close to that now days...

lynnfrwd
03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
This might be a good time to advertise that using the PatternDepot to sell your patterns is a SECURE method (possibly the ONLY secure store) due to the licensing of the patterns. No one can STEAL them.

fwharris
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
This might be a good time to advertise that using the PatternDepot to sell your patterns is a SECURE method (possibly the ONLY secure store) due to the licensing of the patterns. No one can STEAL them.

True the Pattern Depot is a very secure method for selling ones patterns.

I believe this post was in reference for the pattern sharing section on the forum and it has taken a big hit from what it used to be...

bergerud
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
If I freely post a pattern, why should I care if someone else compiles and sells it? I suppose I would be upset if a lot of money was being made, but, if the person is only getting paid for his time, maybe it is just a service. Maybe I should feel honored that my patterns were worth stealing!

In any case, I do not think that we should change our ways due to these few "cheaters". I think the sharing generosity of the forum members is an important resource which, not only keeps the forum going, but helps LHR sell machines. It bothers me when a few ruin it for the many. We can, however, choose not to let it happen by simply not reacting. Come on guys, continue as usual to throw your free patterns into the winds of the web.

eelamb
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Sfsales2000, and the other 2 seller on ebay, are directly responsible for the lack of good shared patterns here on the forum. I do not share patterns here anymore. If someone request a pattern and I want to make it for them, I request they contact me, and I email it to them (no one other than the requester gets the pattern).

As for not seeing a decrease in helping others, this is true, we are a community, and helping others is what we do. We will continue to help others. Making patterns for others, well that has almost stopped due to ebay sellers.

Now for making more money selling patterns, that is not true. And the post was in reference to SHARED pattern, not patterns for sale here or elsewhere.

Sfsales2000 and the other 2 sellers are scum, they want to profit off others hard work. Those that make patterns have a large investment in software, and time to learn how to make the patterns, and I for one will not openly share my patterns because of the ebay seller.

eelamb
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Bergerud, have you looked at sfsales2000, sales of patterns? He has made 252 sales at 25 to 35 each for the CD. Mind you not all will be the patterns, but most of the feedback is for the CD of patterns.

jaroot
03-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Who sets the prices on the LHR store? Is there a minimum?

fwharris
03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Who sets the prices on the LHR store? Is there a minimum?

The pattern maker/seller sets the price and I believe minimum price per pattern is $5.00.

jiml
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
What ever happend to the guy from about 8-10 months ago that was organizing the patterns into a more easily searchable database. Is he one of the people now selling on E-Bay?

eelamb
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
You mean Jonny, the one that told us all, if we do not want him taking our patterns to not post them here. His site was short lived, and it was never determined if he is a seller or not. He and the ebay sellers started the decline of shared patterns. That was back in Jan 2011.

Quick check on sfsales2000, is he has sold 70 cd's at about 25 each. That comes to $1,750 he has made off others in the last year. I have made a total of $65 from sales of my patterns in the last year. Hmmmm makes one think doesn't it.

bergerud
03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe what we need to do is to make our shared patterns easier for people to access. Maybe he sells so many patterns because the patterns on the forum are too hard to mine. Maybe we should fight fire with fire. How about a respected forum member volunteer to regularly compile and make available patterns from the forum. A forum sanctioned CD (or .zip). The member could certainly make some money and maybe even a profit that could be put toward a worthy cause. A forum sanctioned, better, cheaper product on ebay would put these people out of business. Then people who freely post patterns might fell better. Just an idea.

eelamb
03-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Forum member are not his clients, maybe a few, but for the most part it is owners of the CW that do not visit the forum. If they did, then they would see the patterns here, ask for the ones they want and get help. I know they are not organize that well here, but Connie tried with the last organization of the threads.

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I have up to know kept from commenting on all the ebay threads because I didnt want to get into the fray and I felt like a hypocrite if I did say anything. When I first started with my Carvewright I bought one of the ebay cd's from seller sharkteeman and I still use alot of the patterns. I later found the forum and got lots of patterns from here. I think many have done the same. To be honest even after finding the forum and the link from ask bud to search through the pattern sharing section of this forum I still bought a military cd on ebay because it had lots of military patterns all in one place and it was easy. Searching this forum for patterns can be daunting and the search function is often hit or miss. I have only been a member for a little over a year and I have seen many who used to share patterns have now opened their own websites and sell the patterns themselves bypassing LHR. I can only assume that it is to keep more of the profits since LHR takes a good cut. I have often been sent private messages from members of this forum offering to sell CD's for hundreds of dollars and I don't know how many of those patterns were truly their own or a combination of their own and forum patterns. On my computer I put them all in the same folder with sub folders by subject. I don't separate where they came from.

I guess the way I look at it is I paid for the service of someone finding all the patterns ( and I don't know if the CD's contained a mix of patterns they made and ones from this forum or what) compiling all the patterns, categorizing, and putting them on one CD where I could get to them easily. The CD's I bought had patterns categorized by subject and it was sure easy to find what I wanted. Since I saw that many were really upset about the ebay patterns I stopped buying them and try to buy from forum members websites. I have only bought a couple from LHR because their prices seem higher. I would like to become a member of pattern super store for the vector 2d patterns but I just can't afford it. My Carvewright is still a hobby that has paid for it self but I still have a 50 or more hour a week job that leaves me little other time.

One last note, I have been wanting to learn to make 3d patterns so I could start selling them because it does seem like some people on here are putting more emphasis on selling patterns than making sawdust. Makes me think that I could probably make more hobby money selling patterns but I just have not found the time to learn how to make them. I am good at taking logo's etc and using paint.net making decent patterns but not full on 3d.

bergerud
03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I mean we sell a forum sanctioned CD on ebay. "Patterns from the Carvewright Users Guild" Volume 12. You know.

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
you have nice patterns, why don't you make a CD and put it for sale on Ebay, wouldn't the $1.750 be better than the $65? I do also think that most ebay buyers do not use or maybe even know about the forum. I didn't when I bought my machine and my first 500 patterns on ebay.

You mean Jonny, the one that told us all, if we do not want him taking our patterns to not post them here. His site was short lived, and it was never determined if he is a seller or not. He and the ebay sellers started the decline of shared patterns. That was back in Jan 2011.

Quick check on sfsales2000, is he has sold 70 cd's at about 25 each. That comes to $1,750 he has made off others in the last year. I have made a total of $65 from sales of my patterns in the last year. Hmmmm makes one think doesn't it.

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I think trying to divy up the money and keep from having big fights would be an issue, but I do think some of the pattern guru's here should take even their free patterns and compile them and sell their own disks.

I mean we sell a forum sanctioned CD on ebay. "Patterns from the Carvewright Users Guild" Volume 12. You know.

bergerud
03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Nobody gets any money! (maybe a little for the compiler) We donate to some worthy cause, or we just sell it for cost. Compete with that ebay sellers!

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I think it would be a lot of work for someone. Making cd's, Packaging and shipping, taking to the post office. And the person would have to pay taxes on the income. My friend sells on ebay and he told me he gets a 1099 every year. The IRS started going after amazon and ebay sellers a few years ago. Wont be long before other online pattern sellers will be hit as well. Does anyone know if LHR sends out 1099's ?

Nobody gets any money! (maybe a little for the compiler) We donate to some worthy cause, or we just sell it for cost. Compete with that ebay sellers!

eelamb
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Greg, to answer your question, up until the ebay sellers and Jonny, I gave everything I made away (shared). I enjoy making the patterns, and really do not care if I make anything from sales or not. But I do not want someone else making money from my work. It is not about the money with me, it is about right and wrong. It is not right to take someone elses work and sell it with out permission. Call it labor/service or whatever you want, but if you place anothers pattern on a CD to sell, then have the respect to get the creators permission to do so. To not get permission is stealing.

Thank you all for reading my comments.

bergerud
03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
LHR does have tax forms. You are right, Greg, it would be a real commitment almost comparable to another Bud or Michael. It was just a thought.

cestout
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes, LHR does send out 1099s. LHR gets 50% for patterns and projects, but the stuff is non steal-able and they handle all the sales, collection, complaints etc, so I would not even consider trying to sell my own patterns or projects. Whoever the sellers of the CDs are, they must be CarveWright users, and that bothers me. If they sell them for a token price to cover the materials and time collecting the data etc. the practice might be marginally ethical. But today good "church people" copyright infringe with no qualms or guilt. This is the world we live in. For me, I will be who I am and not let someone else being unethical change me. I will still share here and get stuff from here. (I just improved my wine stopper carving method and will post it shortly.)
Clint

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
well, I think this has been a good discussion and I try and share when I have a pattern someone is looking for and when I do get time to learn 3d modeling I will share often here as well. I have learned a lot and gotten a lot of help from people here and no ebay seller is going to stop me. I think its important to continue this forum as a resource and maybe LHR needs to promote it more so people will find this first. If I had found this first I probably would not have bought those first cd's. I do think the search function needs more work. When I do searches for old posts its hit or miss with or without the quotations and even using advanced search.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
It has been a while since I updated this but here is a download that is 443mb and roughly 2000 patterns and I even took the time to organize them into catagories ... mostly compiled from this form. The password is "free".

http://www.mediafire.com/?b3maxa6i4abb93q

I have been hosting patterns on my MediaFire account since 2009 ... served over 150,000 downloads ... paid the bills every month and never charged a penny for anything downloaded off of there.

fwharris
03-05-2012, 10:48 PM
It has been a while since I updated this but here is a download that is 443mb and roughly 2000 patterns and I even took the time to organize them into catagories ... mostly compiled from this form. The password is "free".

http://www.mediafire.com/?b3maxa6i4abb93q

I have been hosting patterns on my MediaFire account since 2009 ... served over 150,000 downloads ... paid the bills every month and never charged a penny for anything downloaded off of there.

And WE truly appreciate your efforts sir!!!

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2012, 10:52 PM
And I yours ....

ladjr
03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Thank you very much.

Can anyone answer is it possible to convert a PDF to a Pattern.

Thanks

Leo

LittleRedWoodshop
03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
If you have a piece of software like LXI that will let you convert the PDF to a usable format like DXF.

roostinridge
03-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the file what a great resource for a newbie!!

jpaluck
03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I mostly stopped posting free patterns after the Jonny thing..his attitude of " if you dont like it don't post here" Ok no problem. I think it's wrong for someone to take another's work and re-sell, plain and simple. I don't care what organizing they do...if a stranger organized my house I am not going to give it to him. The forum cant be that disorganized if folks are making cd's...lol. What really is needed is the site jonny was building. But, it is a ton of work. It could be done using one of the free e-commerce platforms like prestashop which makes catagorgizing things fairly easy. Even though it is an e-commerce platform, no money has to be charged, no registration - just direct download links all organized via catagory. Good platform simply for the organization and cheap. A shared host account would would fine 3-9 bucks a month. The cost is nominal - it's just labor intensive.

Connie did a great job trying to organize the forum - only imagine that task. A forum is not the right platform organazation wise....like digging a hole with spoon. If anyone wants to get a domain name and hosting account I would more than happy to set up prestashop and give them the run down on how to upload patterns etc. Lol but that just might make it that much easier for cd creations.

As far as making money on patterns, I know for myself I did not get into looking to make money. For me it's a hobby plain and simple, just like playing guitar and tying flies. I spent quite a bit on software and education learning how to use the software. Plus the time. I am not bitching at all, so I hope it doesnt sound like that. I have loved every minute of learning and have no regrets on the money spent or time. Patterns got me way into 3d...learning animations now. I wish I could make a living making patterns..be a heck of a lot more fun thats for sure, but I am not quitting the day job anytime soon.

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
You can export the pdf to a picture format then I usually clean it up in paint.net and delete the background color or white and then save as a png to import into designer. If your pdf software does not let you export to a picture file then do a print screen or use the snipping tool in newer windows versions and then paste into a paint program or I highly recommend paint.net to clean up and delete the background.

Thank you very much.

Can anyone answer is it possible to convert a PDF to a Pattern.

Thanks

Leo

gregsolano
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Doug, wow, if you had posted that file at the beginning of this thread we all would have saved our fingers for another subject. Thanks for providing it, It is a great start for newbies and I am sure I will find a few things in there as well.

gregsolano
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Doug, wow, if you had posted that file at the beginning of this thread we all would have saved our fingers for another subject. Thanks for providing it, It is a great start for newbies and I am sure I will find a few things in there as well.

Sorry I meant Jason, I have Alziemers lately.

crfahy
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Oh my goodness! I have just spent the last 4 months trying to download and organize all the shared patterns and projects on this forum (still working on the organization part). Little Red Woodshop just gave a newbie the best prize ever! All in one – and such a nice file structure! Mine is a bit different, but I still have quite a bit of sorting to do. So now, do I start comparing??? OMG!! I liked sifting through all the pattern posts though. Many other ideas and techniques were shared with the patterns. The freebies got me hooked on the forum and the machine…

If this link was provided in the ‘What every Newbie should know’ sticky, there would probably be no ebay sales. What would really be nice is if the ‘basic’ directory contained more of the patterns that have been shared. I mean, that is really basic, with 16 categories, for like 50 patterns. Compare those categories to the shared structure. I forget to look there, now that I’ve seen all these others… and I have my own categories. I think I need a ‘purchased’ category so that I don’t get confused?

My thanks to all that have helped to make my ‘magic machine’ projects so fun! I have learned quite a bit, and wish that I would have associated names to those shared projects that I have carved, so that I could give proper credit. I don’t really want to go through that one really long thread again… I guess that as I share patterns I will put _crf in the filename. I've only just begun...

lynnfrwd
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Bud are you the one that has that link to all of the files?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AskBud
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Bud are you the one that has that link to all of the files?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAs you remember, in January of 2011 you began to build specific categories for Pattern sharing in order to help folks better use the current system.
You place a "Please Read" notice (suggestion List) on the Pattern Sharing area to help people better name and select the thread, within the section in which to post their attachments.
Here is the link to that Thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17433-Please-Read-Before-Posting-Pattern&p=146722#post146722

Hear is the link to this entire section: http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?67-Pattern-Sharing

Here is the link to the original Pattern Sharing thread, which which has thousands of attachments. The main problem, and the reason you built the new threads, is/was that lots of folks did not use very good naming conventions for their attachments. This attachment link, like all the others, can be searched (using the FIND command) for specific text and if the person used that text in the file-name it will be found.
http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

For those that are unfamiliar with this Find command, they will find an AVI lesson titled "Search the Pattern Sharing Depot" in this link to my download access.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud downloads.htm
The above, was my method until I got a Windows-7 machine.
With the W-7 and the newer Internet Explorer the process became easier.
You simply bring up the attachment area of a thread and if the list is long, you click on EDIT > FIND and you get an entry window in which you type the text-word you wish. You do have to out think the posting person as to the text they may have included. Just think of the various thing you might call the item you are looking for.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you, oh wise one...

CNC Carver
03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Connie and or any pattern makers

Would it be ok to list an ebay item with link to free patterns on this forum? And set price at $0.56 ebay fees would be $0.56. If link is included in description it would get first time buyers to the forum without any cost to them and if they bought it no profit would be made. I bought cd before I found forum and wish I found forum first. What a GREAT place to be.

http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?67-Pattern-Sharing

ktjwilliams
03-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Oh well,,, I really miss the way we did things up here.. I use to come on here everyday to post, to read, to help where I could, to get help Etc... And a lot of other folks came here everyday.. The posts, most of the time, was just hr's or minutes old... Now the post are a week old or more most of the time.. Folks, don't let a few low lives ruin the forum and the sharing.. If u do ur just as bad as they are !!! cause ur stealing the help that folks need to get started with their new machines, with patterns, troubleshooting the machines, and advise Etc... If U hold back, then U leave these folks no choice but to purchase from the scumbags on EBAY... Everybody needs to get some patterns to work with until they figure out for themselves how to do things.. I know I did and I had plenty of help and in return I help where I can ...

cestout
03-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree. I come here as often as I can, and send people I contact as a StartU member here also. So I am counting on all of your to keep it up.
Clint

gwizpro
03-25-2012, 06:35 AM
I would be willing to put up eBay ads and advertise that nearly all the patterns being sold on eBay are available Free on this forum. I would give a link to the pattern sharing posts and advice them to join this forum and use the search function. I am looking for suggestions on the pros and cons of this. I have been selling on eBay for over 12 years. I have seen what impact these sellers have had on this forum. SO. what is the general consensus of me doing this?
Tom

CNC Carver
03-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I agree we need to place ads. I was just waiting for some confirmation from forum members that they agree. Hopefully if we could stop the ebay scammers then people would go back to posting here more.

eelamb
03-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Placing a sale/ad on ebay with no sale but information is a good ideal. I do not believe ebay will allow a link.
(links are frowned upon due to outside sales). I think there are 3 sellers, with one selling his own work, or at least I have not seen his patterns listed there on here.

Then again there are not many on here NOW that make patterns. So it may not help much.

fwharris
03-25-2012, 10:43 AM
In the last couple of weeks I've met two guys (one wanting a machine demo and the other who bought a used machine off of ebay) they both asked about the pattern CDs off of Ebay and asked if that was a good value. I informed them of how those patterns collected off the the forum and that all are free from here. I showed them how to navigate to the shared thread and also followed up with an email with a link.

Both were amazed that some one would do such a thing.

lynnfrwd
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I get several calls about them too and share the info. It certainly is no mark against the purchasers as they have no idea.

TerryT
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Why not beat them at their own game. Buy one of their cd's, copy it and sell it on ebay for $1 each with all proceeds going to a party on the last night of the Carvewright conference? They loose sales and the conference attendees get to party! I have shared a few patterns here over the last 5 years. If any of mine are on there I would be happy to donate to the party fund.

lynnfrwd
03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Why not beat them at their own game. Buy one of their cd's, copy it and sell it on ebay for $1 each with all proceeds going to a party on the last night of the Carvewright conference? They loose sales and the conference attendees get to party! I have shared a few patterns here over the last 5 years. If any of mine are on there I would be happy to donate to the party fund.

I like the idea, but $1 each won't buy much of a party!!

lynnfrwd
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I didn't read that right. I missed the on eBay part.

gregsolano
03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I think the person who places the ad for the $1 will spend a lot of time and money making CD's and shipping them and will probably lose money and their will be nothing at the conference. I checked for the fun of it and Ebay will not allow you to place an auction with only information and no sellable item. They make their money off the commission of the sales. It will be a commitment for someone to do this, gas for trips to the post office, Blank CD's, Shipping supplies, etc. but if someone wanted to do it to just break even I figure the price must be about $5 each cd and $3.00 for shipping That would be a break even point with no cost for labor. Average Ebay and Paypal fees are 15% so you have to cover those costs as well. I used to sell my lathe turned pens on Ebay and I could not make a profit good enough to justify the time and expense of shipping, gas to the post office and the low cost the pens would bring as opposed to selling them at local flea markets and fairs. If you want some kind of profit to go to the conference it would have to be even higher from there. There would also be wear and tear on CD burners, etc.

gapdev
03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
How about if we each buy a CD and then post negative feedback saying that the patterns are available for free, here?

If 10 or more of us purchased a CD and all left Negative feedback at the same time, that wouldn't look too good for these scammers.

There is nothing worse than a scum bag making money like this.

Kenny

James RS
03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Problem is they would still have your money anyways.:rolleyes:

gregsolano
03-26-2012, 07:10 PM
How about if we each buy a CD and then post negative feedback saying that the patterns are available for free, here?

If 10 or more of us purchased a CD and all left Negative feedback at the same time, that wouldn't look too good for these scammers.

There is nothing worse than a scum bag making money like this.

Kenny

I think they would enjoy the two or three hundred bucks we give them and just open a new account on ebay so the negative feedback would do no good.

joegemrock
03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I am Joe from www.mydrawingboard.com (http://www.mydrawingboard.com/)
This could be a very long message, but I'll cut to the chase: I own the world's largest and oldest archive of CAD art - mostly commemorative designs (grave stones and iconic art forms. But is aimed at glass and stone sandblasters/etchers.) In 2008 I approached CarveWright saying I am looking to team up and handle all their design needs. I was shunned. So I went about my biz. Now, I see there's a entire market for this stuff (until now I only leased designs, that will soon change to also sell/share/swap.) But I do not do 3D and require education (I'm like 85 years old) or have someone(s) step up to a financial opportunity here. Contact me here or at mydrawingboard@yahoo.com

eelamb
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
This post is directed to SFSALES2000, you have two of my patterns that are copyrighted on your clock patterns CD. Please remove them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patterns are the ships wheel and the recient pattern of the tire clock (name wheel clock). Remove them NOW.

eelamb
04-12-2012, 05:56 PM
This is my wheel-clock-eel.ptn pattern, I posted a few days ago. He may have modified the wheel, but the MPC he made will still have the original pattern on it, WHICH I CAN EDIT (not him). The warning has been issued.

mathman
04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
This is my wheel-clock-eel.ptn pattern, I posted a few days ago. He may have modified the wheel, but the MPC he made will still have the original pattern on it, WHICH I CAN EDIT (not him). The warning has been issued.

Have you ever tried filing a copyright infringement complaint with e-bay? I and another Jeep freak had to do that once and e-bay seemed to take it seriously - the seller disappeared for quite a while after we filed. Just a thought...

David

jpaluck
04-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Wow Eddie..you just made those from what I recall...nice to make patterns for someone else to sell and get nothing for it eh? what a scumbag

The guy is probably gonna have a field day with pratyeka's grayscale find...can see the oriental pattern cd coming

unitedcases
04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
According to his feedback, he has sold alot of these cd's, just sayin...............

fwharris
04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
It sure would be nice if LHR had a way to verify who this person is and take the steps to help report them to Ebay and also ban him for life on the forum and any other activity associated with CarveWright...

lynnfrwd
04-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I can't figure out who it is. I've tried. No match to any login names or emails.

All I can say is the Pattern Depot with it's licensing system is the only way to really protect your work. I don't know of any other system or pattern provider that does. I may be wrong.

fwharris
04-12-2012, 11:53 PM
I can't figure out who it is. I've tried. No match to any login names or emails.

All I can say is the Pattern Depot with it's licensing system is the only way to really protect your work. I don't know of any other system or pattern provider that does. I may be wrong.

Connie,

Totally agree on the patterns that are for sale. The real main issue is with all of the free patterns (and am guessing some of the ones being sold outside of the Pattern Depot) that are showing up for sale on Ebay. Eddie posted a tire pattern not more than 2 weeks ago and it is already up for sale.

One of the best parts of the forum when I first got on was the pattern sharing and project posts. New members would post what they wanted or was trying to do and guys would within minutes start posting their versions and how to dos. This is/was a great teaching/coaching process for all of us. Some of the newbies even taught the oldies a few tricks.

I know of several of the members who helped bring me along are almost invisible any more do to seeing their work being sold.

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Eddie looks like he got the point. Your pictures have been removed from the listing. Not sure about being removed from his/her CD. I'm going to check into the manuals they have for sale also. They are probably copyrighted and ebay could remove them for those.

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Please report copywrited manuals for ebay user SFSALES2000. Click on sellers other listed items and then report item in bottom corner. If Ebay get these reports from lots of us maybe SFSALES2000 will not be allowed to sell on ebay and have to start over with a new user account.

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Here is what I reported. I did every manual SFSALES2000 has listed for sale.

edzbaker
04-13-2012, 07:13 AM
All of this guys items are listed as being located in "Santa Fe New Mexico". I'm beting he can be located by LHR.

Ed

bjbethke
04-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I did a Bing search with his name code," I did find a PTN I made in his Add's, Looks like there is also a WEB page. www.buycheapr.com (http://www.buycheapr.com)

chebytrk
04-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Website Contact Info shows it's located in Munich, Germany

I did a Bing search with his name code," I did find a PTN I made in his Add's, Looks like there is also a WEB page. www.buycheapr.com (http://www.buycheapr.com)

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
buycheaper.com lists most everything on ebay. I think just a spider that creates the store items.

Ike
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Eddie, are you saying this SFSALES2000 is a member of this forum? WOW!!!!! Now that takes big ones!!! Get him or her!

Ike

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
He may be may not be. We will never know as anyone can download from this forum. All images should not be allowed to guests. LHR should set this up so you need to be logged in to open and or save any files. Let quests read the forum just not allow access to any files.

PLEASE! PLEASE! LHR change your set up for this forum to stop the unwanted access to everyones wonderful work.

At least with a login you would have info on who has downloaded what files and could see who downloading all the files.

lawrence
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure this would accomplish anything-- a lot of folks download all the files (I know I do)

Lawrence

He may be may not be. We will never know as anyone can download from this forum. All images should not be allowed to guests. LHR should set this up so you need to be logged in to open and or save any files. Let quests read the forum just not allow access to any files.

PLEASE! PLEASE! LHR change your set up for this forum to stop the unwanted access to everyones wonderful work.

At least with a login you would have info on who has downloaded what files and could see who downloading all the files.

CNC Carver
04-13-2012, 03:14 PM
All of the manuals listed for sale by SFSales2000 have been removed.

Are the patterns considered to be copywrited because they are not SFSales2000 works? Can we request those to be removed also.

jpaluck
04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
cnc carver

I tried getting e-bay to remove my patterns in the past. Nothing happened to say the least. I called, fill out their forum and faxed like their directions said, called again..nothing just auto-response e-mails we will look into it. If you got the manuals removed Wow

PCW - thats a good idea with the carve region

jpaluck
04-13-2012, 05:37 PM
What happeneed to Eddie's post?

bjbethke
04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
If he re-post any of the Forum's patterns for sale I encourage all to post the auction here. Good Day

Is He going to pay for our lost??

bjbethke
04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
You have to watch what you say on this Post form, Jesus is watiching you ???

jlovchik
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
No Jesus watching... but I am watching, and please no more sharing of people's personal information. It is a violation of the forum's policy's.

Ike
04-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Well Jesus is watching!! Still it is bad a member of the forum is or was doing this. I saw some of my patterns and they are terrible! Sad, sad thing we have another thing to worry about in life!

Ike

fwharris
04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
No Jesus watching... but I am watching, and please no more sharing of people's personal information. It is a violation of the forum's policy's.

Joe,

I feel a good first step would be to update the forum rules some how / some way to state that any files (ptn, mpc, dxf, stl, etc.) posted for sharing are for personal use only (carving) and are not to be used for personal gain (selling). Any violations would follow the current guidelines. The rules right now cover a lot of what we can not post but leaves the door wide open for what people can do with what is posted.

As you can probably tell the vast majority of the users agree that this person is not supported in his actions of taking someone work and making a profit off of it.

PCW
04-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Joe,

I feel a good first step would be to update the forum rules some how / some way to state that any files (ptn, mpc, dxf, stl, etc.) posted for sharing are for personal use only (carving) and are not to be used for personal gain (selling). Any violations would follow the current guidelines. The rules right now cover a lot of what we can not post but leaves the door wide open for what people can do with what is posted.

As you can probably tell the vast majority of the users agree that this person is not supported in his actions of taking someone work and making a profit off of it.

Well stated Floyd...

Also would be nice to see the forum changed to not allow those that are not logged in access to any downloads (see post 71).

Joe

I can understand your position as far as listing names in open topic but I have to say deleting the other post brings back some bad memories for me. I thought we were past that.

jpaluck
04-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I agree with both Floyd and PCW

jlovchik
04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
There was no choice in deleting those posts. Bad memories or not, i have to uphold thr policies of this forum. I didn't ban anyone and hope I will not have to do so. I understand the situation and am looking into what needs to be done. From what I've seen, the situation has resolved itself. The eBay listings are down. Floyd, we have put in place restrictions on the forum to restrict access to only approved people about a year ago. Bottom line is, just like with every electronic medium on the web. Unless it is distributed through a closed licensed system, you are vulnerable to this kind of distribution. The music industry experienced the same problem. We have created the pattern depot in anticipation of this.