PDA

View Full Version : Errr...help? Problems in carving

Geophyrd
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I seem to be having problems. Just got my CW two days ago, and the first two cuts were OK but not stellar. Still learning...and I realized that I'd set them to carve in Normal, not Best or Optimal. So, designed a new one and set to carve optimal. Here's hoping they come out good. Its going to be 5 hours, but...ok, optimal it is!

Was about 70% done when the problems ensued...the machine seemed to have trouble progressing at some points (sounding like it was straining) and seemed to skip over sections of the pattern. The parts it got right look awesome but the final result looks awful. Its possible (likely) that its my fault. Maybe I shouldn't have used plywood (there was a knot on the back, but it was shallow, broad and flat), maybe I screwed up the pattern. I've attached pics and the pattern. Help!? I'm worried my machine's got problems! The bit wound up off the board entirely.

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
This is caused when the under side of the board at the keypad looses contact with the brass roller. The Brass Roller between the sand paper belts has an encoder in it that tells the computer the PHYSICAL position of the board.

Plywood is the poorest choice of wood as it can have gaps on the bottom of the wood. THAT under edge at the brass roller needs to be PERFECT... Any gaps will cause the brass roller to loose contact and the X drive motor will move the board until the Brass Roller is happy as in reading the correct number of pulses.... Hence moving it without the brass roller moving and getting un carved gaps....

Board pressure down on the brass roller is important too as is always having TWO rollers holding the board flat to the table with TWO Rollers... Once the board is only being held by one roller you get tip UP and the board looses contact with the brass roller and moves.

MASKING TAPE along the bottom edge of the board will help some... Gives the board edge a soft area that lets the brass roller bit into and acts like a rack and pinion.

1/2 inch is the minimum thickness... The machine likes 3/4 or thicker... Find and read TIPS and TRICKS that will give you GREAT INFO on Carrier Boards and Sleds....

This is just "Pilot Error".... Trying to fly a Airplane before reading the owners manual and Tips and Tricks.... You CRASH..... Do your Homework and you will make less fancy firewood...

Welcome,

AL

Geophyrd
03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I suspected it was pilot error. I set up another board and the CW is cutting it happily. Dang, that piece was coming out really pretty

SteveEJ
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
As usual, Al is correct. Masking tape is a must and I always use it. Also, pay attention to the length of the board! You always want the board to remain under the rollers unless you are using a sled. I always put a rectangle 3.5" X (Board width) on each end of the project. I then place my design between the rectangles. That causes waste but I never have problems with it not staying under the rollers. If you are going to be doing smaller pieces or are worried about waste then look into sleds.

Hope this helps..

BTW: Tips and Tricks are great reading! They save a lot of headaches! I consult them on a regular basis.