PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing CorelDraw or Xara

Chipper
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
The machine I ordered a week ago came in today. I went and picked it up and since I was in the BIG City which is 60 miles for me to get to I decided to stop and check out software. I went to all the major stores that I knew handled any amount of software (Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples). None of them sold CorelDraw in any version and none of them could find any option to special order this software. Can anyone recommend an on line site that you use to order your software or what store do you find it in. Thanks for any info you can give me. (PS. I've NEVER ordered anything on line so this could be a whole new experience for me)

carvemore
01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Try Amazon.com the have the student and teachers version for 79.99.
Do a search on amazon for Coreldraw X3.

rgant05
01-24-2007, 02:51 AM
You might also try ebay. I am a little bit biased as I make a lot of money on ebay selling my excess property and collections I have had for years, but I get some pretty good deals there. Just, like always try to pick a good vendor with a favorable reputation. I am about to buy Corel X3 and will most likely buy it there. BTW, otherwise I would buy at Amazon. Does the Student version have a time limit or reduced features???

Greybeard
01-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Chipper - re online purchasing being a new experience.
As a simple(?) way of avoiding a lot of the security horror stories we hear of having your details stolen, we set up a separate card account just for online purchases. It enables us to transfer funds to it just before the purchase, so there is never more than a £ or so in it.
Regards
John

carvemore
01-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I have not found any features that are disabled yet, but I am just learning to use it. The box says "Not for commercial use".

Scroller
01-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Chipper, if you have never used CorelDraw b/4, you may want to download a free fully functional 15 day trial version directly from http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Content_C1&cid=1152796555406&lc=en&pagename=CorelCom%2FLayout

Compare prices on eBay. But be aware that virtually all of the lower priced items on eBay are disc only - IOW, no manual included. So figure on spending an extra few $ for a manual if you feel you need one. Even so, eBay would seem the way to go. Just make sure the seller clearly states that you will be able to register your copy.

Pete

BobHill
01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Also if you can't REGISTER the software you purchase from places like ebay or claims for real cheap prices OnLine, YOU ARE BUYING PIRATED MATERIAL. Not a good thing.

Bob

Aaron B
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Also if you can't REGISTER the software you purchase from places like ebay or claims for real cheap prices OnLine, YOU ARE BUYING PIRATED MATERIAL. Not a good thing.

Bob

Hey Bob, were you ever able to do that Xara tutorial? Thanks

HerbO
01-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I used Photo Impact for years designing websites.
I never used Corel but I am assuming they have alot of same features.
Of couse you know what assume means :)
I have version 4 which they are up to 12 now.
I checked on www.ulead.com and the new version is $90
It does a great job on 3d text and has a feature to do 3d shapes.
Anyone that uses Corel can check the website out and let us know
what features that we would miss using the CW.
HerbO

BobHill
01-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Aaron,

Thanks for reminding me. I KNEW there was something I said I would, but hadn't done yet. I sincerly apologize and will work on a PDF with Xara right now. Sorry,

Herb,

Web sites are usually done in raster initally (I use DreamWeaver myself for that). CorelDraw and Xara are vector graphics ( www.coreldraw.com and www.xara.com)

Bob

HerbO
01-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I should have clarified website graphics
here is a list from there website
3D Composition (Z-merge) - Animated Special Effects
Object Extraction Wizard - Layer Masks
Text Text Deform - Wrap Text to Path
3D Text - Stroke
Vector Graphics Create and Edit Polygons - Stroke
3D Shapes - Multiple Node Editing
Imported some of graphics and it seemed to work well. Being unfamilar with Corel I wasn't sure what features I'm missing. I thought if someone was on a buget like me (wife) :) this would help. Here was one of my first test projects but with the bit wobble eveything was chipped out.

HerbO

Aaron B
01-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Aaron,

Thanks for reminding me. I KNEW there was something I said I would, but hadn't done yet. I sincerly apologize and will work on a PDF with Xara right now. Sorry,

Herb,

Web sites are usually done in raster initally (I use DreamWeaver myself for that). CorelDraw and Xara are vector graphics ( www.coreldraw.com and www.xara.com)

Bob

No problem and no real hurry, I still have 6 days left on my trial. Thanks for doing it though.

Chipper
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
After reading the posts and exchanging some very informative PM's with Roger (rgant05) regarding his past experiences and things to think about and check out I went to E-Bay. I found CorelDraw X3 without any manuals and questionable registration forms runs from $99 to $149. CorelDraw X3 "new" in the box with all the manuals and registration information was $199. (About half the selling price that CorelDraw has at their CorelDraw website) It appears that the extra money to get the manuals, be able to register it, and get any upgrades along with whatever customer support comes with it is well worth spending.

jdrof
01-31-2007, 11:44 AM
I have Corel X3 on order but have loaded the trial verson of Xara. I appear to be graphically challanged. I can't figure out how to apply the grayscale gradients to a figure.

I'm sure it is a very simple process, but I could use some help.

Also, the new ALL CW.com site looks like it is going to be GREAT! Love the first video tutorial.

revved_up
02-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Also, the new ALL CW.com site looks like it is going to be GREAT! Love the first video tutorial.

OH NO! another website just kidding guys. I have been reading this site daily b4 firing up my machine and another site is a blessing. Just hope I dont get fired for all the time I spend trying to keep up with such an active forum.

BobHill
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Here is a great Logo that Earl ("egamage") sent in and it's conversion to vector (CorelDraw) and then into Designer for carving (although it hasn't been carved, so corrections haven't been made for improper curves).

Bob