PDA

View Full Version : CW pricing

Ike
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I was wondering what other members consider when selling and buying a CW/CC? I know I look for what model, A. B. or C. Then how many hours, then what up grades. Plus I am curious what the machine was used for. I know the CW is the same as a CC, but I rather buy a CW.

Then I look at the current price for a new CW. A basic is sometimes on sell for $999.99 and regular price $1199.99. A factory refurbished CW is $999.99 That is for a model C with the Carvetight.

For a A or B model with low hours ( "A" model no more then 150 hours and "B" around 100 hours) and no improvements. I think for an "A" a good price is $300.-$400.00 For a "B" $400.-$500, then with improvements for both models another $100.00 and up. Depends on the improvements or accessories.

Then for a C model with low hours I would say no more then $750.00 for basic. Then maybe $850-$900.00 with upgraded belts and a bit set or extra accessories?

I know we have all paid around $ 1599.99 for our CW. I did both times for my B and C CW. My advice for somebody looking to buy their first CW buying a refurbished model C or a new basic and if you think you need all the bells and whistles choose carefully what you really need and will use.

For a second or third machine it is hands down for me wait for basic to go sale for $999.99 or buy a refurbished CW for the same price.

So how far off am I?

Ike

fwharris
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Ike,

I would say you are probably not to far off base on your pricing range on the different machine versions and hours of use. Machines if working order, for an A/B machine with the QC I would not go over $300 no matter how many hours or improvements/accessories. I believe (W.A.C.G. on my part) that the difference for A to B was the A907 upgrade, elimination of the homing sensor on the Z truck, scan probe connection on cover, washer on lower right Z bearing screw, plastic magnetic retainer on the cut motor and some improvements to the circuit board component reinforcement. Probably more features but drew a blank! :roll:

B with upgraded chuck and belts with low hours maybe up to $500 depending on what other items come with it. C with upgraded belts maybe $700-750 depending on other items. All machines in good working order and no known problems.

$1599??? You got in with some special offer! I started out @ $1799 through Sears!

Hope this helps you out for what I hope is not what I am thinking!!

Ike
02-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I forgot about all the needed upgrades and part replacements for the model A CW. As forth to buying my CW I bought both from Amazon and the C is still $1599.99 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=compucarve. Plus it comes with the 1 year 200 hr warranty.

I am waiting to sell any of my Carvewrights, I have a B with lots of hours and a C with quite a few also! So I probably couldn't get $400.00 for the B and maybe $600 for the C if I am lucky. I would be left with my K2 CNC that I bought new and still have not used! Lol I have a 6 1/2" professional Craftsman jointer still in the box! Man I am lazy!!! Not really with my Shopbot I was busy and sold it for the soda wagon ( BIG MISTAKE!) I would still have my 48" by 96" SB! Now days I am a bit depressed.

I read an article on Yahoo today http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html This poor banker making $350,000 a year didn't make a big bonus and because of it will need to remove his 3 kids from attending private schools! Oh the poor rich guy!

Ike

BigFishy
03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
You guys are not making me feel any better about the deal I got on my CC! Thought I was getting a deal but maybe not. Oh well, water under the bridge I guess!

Ike
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
You guys are not making me feel any better about the deal I got on my CC! Thought I was getting a deal but maybe not. Oh well, water under the bridge I guess!

BigFishy,as long as you are happy with your CW is all that counts! When you are ready to buy another one you will know what a good price is or not. I use the heck out of my machines and due to the cost of shipping parts a part machine is nice to have.

BigFishy from the looks of the time on your machine it is new? Not sure what you paid for it, but a few parts have been upgraded and it may be wise to replace them soon. Especially the quick change chuck.

I was hoping more members would give their thoughts. What I posted is based on what I have seen machines for sell in the forum.

Ike

BigFishy
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey Ike,

Yeah. I found out yesterday that my machine has 19 minutes on it. Don't think its ever made sawdust. Paid 800.00 not knowing anything about them other than Id seen them for sale online for 1600.00 ish. The guy I bought it from didn't really know anything about it other than the software was too complicated for him to figure out so he gave up on it.

I've read about the Carvetight. Sounds promising but I was hoping to use my machine the way it is at least until I start making come cool items and am sure it is something I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I also ordered a set of bits from sears and am reading that I will end up having to adapt them for use with the carvetight if I end up upgrading.

On my other thread in the newbie section someone mentioned a "z pack" I think it was called.. Upgrade of some sort. Can you tell me how much that costs? Is that something I am going to have to have sooner or later? Ive gathered from reading various posts on the forum that I might need that upgrade in order to use the scanning probe? I dont have a probe yet but I can envision where I might want to get that sooner or later because it seems like it could add a lot of neat functionality.

-Marlin

jaroot
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
We paid about $1200 for our refurbished "A" CC and put several hundred dollars into it updating and worth every penny. Getting a new one for $999 is an even better deal. Even at the price we paid for our old model it still blows the doors off anything else in that price range. Oh, wait, there isn't anything else in the price range. :)

lynnfrwd
03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey Ike,

Yeah. I found out yesterday that my machine has 19 minutes on it. Don't think its ever made sawdust. Paid 800.00 not knowing anything about them other than Id seen them for sale online for 1600.00 ish. The guy I bought it from didn't really know anything about it other than the software was too complicated for him to figure out so he gave up on it.

I've read about the Carvetight. Sounds promising but I was hoping to use my machine the way it is at least until I start making come cool items and am sure it is something I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I also ordered a set of bits from sears and am reading that I will end up having to adapt them for use with the carvetight if I end up upgrading.

On my other thread in the newbie section someone mentioned a "z pack" I think it was called.. Upgrade of some sort. Can you tell me how much that costs? Is that something I am going to have to have sooner or later? Ive gathered from reading various posts on the forum that I might need that upgrade in order to use the scanning probe? I dont have a probe yet but I can envision where I might want to get that sooner or later because it seems like it could add a lot of neat functionality.

-Marlin

Hi marlin:

Go to the website and look under Support > Maintenance for A907 to identify if your machine requires the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ike
03-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Hey Ike,

-Marlin

That is why I started this thread in hopes it can guide people what prices are going for. Like I said, I was hoping more members would give their input. $800.00 is a bit high for a model A. Good news is the CW is new!

I bought both of my CW a B and C model from Amazon for $1599.99. LHR has a new basic CW for $1199.99 and on sale for $999.99 Plus a refurbished C model for $999.99.

Marlin, I suggest you do all the upgrades at least the basic for A907 maintenance. Then read all the post pertaining to the quick release chuck and how to maintain it. Then when you get the chance upgrade to the Carvetight. If you don't you will experience all the issues we all had when we first bought our CWs! My first A model is a part machine! Or get an estimate from LHR to have all the upgrades done including the CT.

Like I said the good news is you bought a new machine!!! Plus you have the forum whenever you need help!

Ike

BigFishy
03-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Yep. I definitely have the old version. How much to upgrade? Sounds like there is no reason to until I am ready to get the carvetight and/or the scan probe?

Thanks.

-Marlin

Ike
03-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Yep. I definitely have the old version. How much to upgrade? Sounds like there is no reason to until I am ready to get the carvetight and/or the scan probe?

Thanks.

-Marlin

I would call LHR and ask for all the parts you need and have them all shipped at once. Shipping is $12.00 for one part or 20 parts! Then I would ask what LHR will charge for them to make all the repairs. That is if you are not comfortable working on your own machine. The one thing for sure I would get is centerline software for $100.00 You can always buy a probe later, once you get the machine mastered.

Ike

cestout
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
If you get centerline, you really should get "Conforming Vectors". The probe is not an upgrade, just an attachment. It will work with the QC chuck or the CT.
Clint

lynnfrwd
03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I think the issue is he needs the A907 upgrade in order to use the probe.

BigFishy
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
From my understanding so far it sounds like I can use my system as is for now. But once I start wanting to upgrade I'm going to need to upgrade this z-pack, carve tight and get the scanning probe. Plus the collet adapters for the old style bits that I got such a good deal on from sears but that won't work with the carve tight as is. Does that about cover it? Have to make a few projects and get my enthusiasm built up before I start spending more money! :-)

eelamb
03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I would read everything you can find on the QC (quick change chuck), such as lining up the red lines, to make sure the bit is installed properly, and begin carving. If you have questions on the QC just ask, many here will come forward to help you. At some point you may see BB marks on the bit holder, that will tell you it is time to upgrade. Most of us here started out with the QC, with some having better luck than other with it. There may still be some using the QC and producing great carvings. I would suggest getting the ringneck blues dust collection, it will help to keep the QC functioning longer (less dust to foul up the QC). But most of all keep the CW clean, and lub'ed, and it will give you great pleasure. Oh I am using a model A, it was upgraded when I got it, I have installed the Rock Chuck on mine, and it is still working great.

Ike
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Marlin, you are correct it can be used as it. Like I said before read all the post on the QC and I never mentioned the probe was an upgrade. But with the probe comes the pattern editor which can be purchased separately. However better with probe, also be aware of anybody selling a probe. If you find a deal always ask if the software the pattern editor has been registered? All software for the CW is non transferable, so buying a probe you need the PE to use the probe. Sold by itself it is about $200.00 and for the probe with the software about $300.00.

I suggested centerline so you can carve V carved lettering. All the software is a great price and look what you think you may need. I bought my first machine in 06 and have owned 4 machines. I use my CWs for my sign shop I have been making signs for 31 years. www.rcwoodworksonline.com I also have been woodworking for 31 years! I know you are a woodworker also and this will be a great asset to your shop.

The only software I have is centerline and a probe with the PE. I have not bought the STL, DFX or conforming vectors. Because I have no need for them with my sign shop. I have another more conventional CNC, a K2 CNC and I have software that uses STL and DFX. Lol I have owned the K2 for a few years and have yet to use it. But these days seems I may start to use it!

Anyway for what it is worth read all the earlier post you can about the first versions of the CW. Because without getting some knowledge you will become frustrated with problems the A model had. The C model has addressed and corrected most all the issues. Yet some owners still have the A model without the upgrades and have no problems.

Ike