PDA

View Full Version : What is a good pattern Software

nuchie
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
What is a good software to design and make patterns? Some of you have some great patterns, how do you do it? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

mtylerfl
02-29-2012, 05:21 PM
What is a good software to design and make patterns? Some of you have some great patterns, how do you do it? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

For relief patterns, I use Aspire and ArtCAM. Many use full 3D software (Moi and others), and some use free software (GIMP) and create patterns via greyscale manipulation. I prefer the modeling and sculpting tools in Aspire and ArtCAM, though.

It really all depends on what you are trying to accomplish for a given project. A recent project of the month (March 2012 - the Industria Synchroon) does not have any relief carvings at all...I created the drawing/layout in Aspire, exported to DXF, then imported the DXF into Designer and assigned drills, cut paths, and carve regions to form the "patterns".

eelamb
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
This is a tough question to answer. It depends on a few things. Being money, skills, and determination on your part. 3d work or what you see here 2.5D work takes a lot of effort on your part, it has a large learning curve, and may take years to learn the software you choose.
Ok with that said I will mention a few along with a ball park price tag
Artcam 8,000 relief type of software 2.5d
Aspire 2,000 relief type of software 2.5d
Modo 1,000 quad modeling 3d or 2.5d
Lightwave 800 quad modeling 3d or 2.5d
zbrush 700 sculpting 3d or 2.5d
MoI3D 300 cad type modeling 3d or 2.5d
shadermap pro 20.00, 2.5d mapping software
Blender Free 3d or 2.5d
Gimp see Alan Malmstrom post in this thread, he has written some great tutorials on making patterns using Gimp.

And these just touch the surface. Each has their own benefits, and each takes learning, with some like quads taking much longer to learn. With each it is what you put in to them to turn out the patterns. Each will make great pattens or bad patterns. How good of a pattern you make will depend upon your abilities to learn and use the software. If you feel you do not have the time, or want to dedicate the time and yourself to learn the software, then buying the software may be a waste. Start out with the free stuff to see if this is what you really want to do. Making a pattern can take as little as 10-20 minutes to 8 hours+.

rickyz
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
yep, definite learning curve... been trying for years off and on and still haven't had a whole lot of success... my hats off to the guys that come up with these awesome patterns. i'm especially in awe with the vectorclip3d patterns... simply awesome...