PDA

View Full Version : Newbie hoping to make Lemonade?

BigFishy
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi All,

I've been lurking on the forum for the last few days waiting for my account to be activated. I purchased a second hand but seemingly never used Compucarve a while back and have had it sitting in a cabinet for the last few months waiting for the motivation to get it out and start learning how to use it. Finally got my software licensed this morning and was told by the tech support guy that I have an early A series Machine. I didn't know anything about these machines when I bought it other than I had seen the commercials on TV and it seemed like a cool tool.  I'm a remodel carpenter by trade so I'm a total sucker for cool tools!

*Edit* Turns out I'm just an idiot! :-)

-Marlin.

fwharris
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Welcome Martin,,

Make sure you have the card plugged into the machine and ALWAYS make sure the machine is OFF when putting the card in or taking it out...

BigFishy
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Whew!

I feel better already. Between putting the card in and adjusting the contrast I'm getting some where!

Turns out my machine has 19 minutes of "On Time"

Anything you guys can clue me in on about these A Models? I've read varying reports of reliability. Seems like you either get a good one or a lemon!

I can already tell this forum will be invaluable!

-Marlin

fwharris
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Martin,

It might be worth a call to CarveWright to see what if any updates have been done to the machine. Some early A machines did not include the A907 Z PAK upgrade. They should have a record of the machine and how it is set up hardware wise. Also you will have the original QC (quick change chuck) so be looking to upgrade to the new CarveTight spindle system.

BigFishy
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
When I talked to Alex earlier today he didn't mention the Z Pack upgrade. Though I didn't ask him about it specifically either. I take it that is some sort of firmware update? I have read about the Carvetight Chuck. Just ordered a set of bits from Sears that have this old style bit adapters. I figured I would try use the old chuck until I'm sure I'm feeling confident in the reliability of the machine and then get the new chuck and maybe the scanning probe too.

fwharris
02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
No it is not a firmware update, the firmware is built into the designer software. the Zpak upgrade is a new circuit board, ribbon cable and Z motor. I believe it was mainly for moving the scanning probe connector from the Z truck to the cover and eliminating the homing sensor.

Deolman
02-29-2012, 11:41 PM
One of your very first considerations is hooking up a dust collector. Be careful of vacuums they can cause electronic killing static. You might consider clicking on the "D.C.-Top Mount Insert (http://ringneckblues.com/)" just above this post. Otherwise, do a forum search - you will find lots of information. (Sometimes you need quotes around your search item.) Dust collection equals a cleaner machine and fewer problems.

signman9999
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Marlin welcome to the world of CW, Where might you be hailing from? You might find a fellow CW person around you that you could garner some valuable information from.
again Welcome
Tom

BigFishy
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome. This forum seems like a great resource. I've been browsing for a few days already. Made it til 2 am looking through the projects section. Some really impressive stuff!

I'm hailing from Dufur, Oregon. About 100 east of Portland. Just south of the Gorge. I'm a remodel carpenter by trade that picked up a Compucarve off Craigslist. Thought I got a good deal on it when I paid 800.00 for it a year ago or so. Turns out maybe I didnt get as good a deal as I thought.. But oh well! I'm hoping to put it to good use if I can get the hang of the designer software. My family is in the exotic wood business so I have access to some really neat wood that I am hoping to be able to turn into some neat projects.

-Marlin

ladjr
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have been carving for several years and just recently upgraded to a Dust Collection system. It has made the Carving a 1000 times easier. Before I had to clean and oil the machine after every carve. Now I have been carving for 10 hours and have not had to clean machine yet.

Leo

fwharris
03-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome. This forum seems like a great resource. I've been browsing for a few days already. Made it til 2 am looking through the projects section. Some really impressive stuff!

I'm hailing from Dufur, Oregon. About 100 east of Portland. Just south of the Gorge. I'm a remodel carpenter by trade that picked up a Compucarve off Craigslist. Thought I got a good deal on it when I paid 800.00 for it a year ago or so. Turns out maybe I didnt get as good a deal as I thought.. But oh well! I'm hoping to put it to good use if I can get the hang of the designer software. My family is in the exotic wood business so I have access to some really neat wood that I am hoping to be able to turn into some neat projects.

-Marlin

Marlin,

Don't be be to down about the $800 price tag, still less than half for a new machine at that time. Let us start seeing your signature start changing from "Projects Completed: 0"

SharonB
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Marlin... if you every want to take a trip further south come over to the Redmond area and have coffee. Would love to have someone to talk carving with.