PDA

View Full Version : planing corian

rickyz
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
i aquired about a 3 by 5 foot piece of half inch corian.... I know I can cut it to size but I would like to get some feedback about whether or not I should run the corian through my planer so I can get it down to 1/4 in. I also have a router thickness jig that would work to but the planer would definitely be quicker and smoother... I have a dewalt 735 planer and I wonder if I buy the carbide blades which are available would do the trick... any suggestions would be appreciated...

b.sumner47
02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't see any problem on planning the corian, don't be too agreesive with your depth of cut.

Capt Barry

fwharris
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I know of others who have planed down 1/2". It does make the planer work hard and like Capt Barry stated do small passes at a time. And sure hope you have dust collection on the planer, it will be snow city if ya don't...

chkorte
02-29-2012, 05:56 PM
If you're going to buy carbide blades for the Dewalt 735 you should consider buying the helix cutter head with the carbide. What a difference!!!

rickyz
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
yep, definitely got dust collection... i've used planers without it and have no desire to do that again...lol helix cutter head.... forgot about those... hmmmmm. maybe after I get my second carvewright, i'll have to see about that....I figured on taking really light passes. just wasn't sure how it would do.... thanks for the feedback....

DaveN
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Carbide comes in different grades or hardness, you should use a C4 type grade if you plan on planing corian. This is a link to the brand
of carbide I use at work http://ceeindustrial.com/public/data/companyCatalogue1224253357.pdf. If you look at page 5 and 6 of the pfd
it should give you an idea of what im talking about. I use the T04MG on all my insert tooling, its good for just about anything. If you
were to use something like the T10MF in a planer on corian, the knives will get very dull after about a foot, no matter how much your taking off.
I've never looked into getting carbide knives on my planer at home so I don't know whats available. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Sallen1215
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
If you know what size litho you re doing then you can use the cw o plane it for you, set up your board in designer for 1/2 material, and using vectors with a 3/8 or 1/2 in straight bit draw lines over the part of the board you want to take down to 1/4". its it much safer than using the planer. I have run into some real trouble with the planer on solid surface corian. If you do plane it then use a carrier board because the slick nature of the product wont feed into the planer easily

badbert
07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
If you know what size litho you re doing then you can use the cw o plane it for you, set up your board in designer for 1/2 material, and using vectors with a 3/8 or 1/2 in straight bit draw lines over the part of the board you want to take down to 1/4". its it much safer than using the planer. I have run into some real trouble with the planer on solid surface corian. If you do plane it then use a carrier board because the slick nature of the product wont feed into the planer easily

Definitely interested in this "Planing" technique you speak of. Can you provide more info, maybe a pic or two?

Sallen1215
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Bert no problem i will post pictures and a step by step when im off work tomorrow if that's ok.

badbert
07-04-2012, 01:58 AM
That would be great! I am interested in Lithos. And I have a line on some scrap pieces that are 1/2"!

k9smith
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Sallen1215, i would be intersted in your Planing technique you spoke of.

Sallen1215
08-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Joe i will put together some inaged to show you my mill technique, it is very similar to the tips and trick where you make pockets with vector lines and a 3/8" flat bit in the CW. You will need to make the sled in the Litho's 101 tips and tricks in order for this to work.

k9smith
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
ok thanks i appreciate it and will get the sled finished as well.

rickyz
08-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I think I will wind up using the thickness jig I built a long time ago. I keep forgetting about it and will probably be the best way to go... can't remember if I got the plans from shopnotes or wood magazine.... I think it was shopnotes....