PDA

View Full Version : Help - Fill Tool and Rotate Tweak Tool

robertdpittman
02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I just started using the pattern editor on a scanned object. I can't figure out how to use the fill tool. I use the rectangle selection to outline what I want to fill, I then use the Dropper Tool to select the correct depth (tool height). I then click on the Fill Tool and drag it over the selection and right click, left click, and no matter what I do, nothing happens. Does anyone have the answer to how to make it work.

For the Rotate Tweak Tool, I want to use it to align the scanned obect to be square to the axis lines. I can't figure out how this tool works. The object just jumps around on the page in a seemingly random pattern. Any insight into this tool would be greatly appreciated.

Details:
Window 7 PC
Designer 1.179

Same thing happens on my PC:
Windows XP
Designer 1.179

eelamb
02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
AskBud has some nice videos and instructions on his site at Download Links for your use http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-... downloads.htm (http://www2.wcoil.com/%7Enharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm)
You may want to take a look at his site.

AskBud
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I just started using the pattern editor on a scanned object. I can't figure out how to use the fill tool. I use the rectangle selection to outline what I want to fill, I then use the Dropper Tool to select the correct depth (tool height). I then click on the Fill Tool and drag it over the selection and right click, left click, and no matter what I do, nothing happens. Does anyone have the answer to how to make it work.

For the Rotate Tweak Tool, I want to use it to align the scanned obect to be square to the axis lines. I can't figure out how this tool works. The object just jumps around on the page in a seemingly random pattern. Any insight into this tool would be greatly appreciated.

Details:
Window 7 PC
Designer 1.179

Same thing happens on my PC:
Windows XP
Designer 1.179Ed is correct. My "download" link has several AVI lessons on Pattern Editor.

The FILL TOOL (Paint can) only works on an actual solid color. This is rare on a scan, as the height map varies on most objects. If your aim is to change the height of an varied area, rather than making it a flat surface, You'll want to use the magic wand. You would highlight the area in question, then go to FILTER and next select RAISE & LOWER, SMOOTH, BLUR, etc. If your aim is a flat surface, to the above, apply the paint brush tool.

The actual tools will depend upon your needs. If you still have road-blocks, we might need to see the actual (Editable) scan in MPW format. Let us know if that is the case.

Flip & Rotate is somewhat trickey. Sometimes it's better to orient the pattern within 90 degrees of your target prior to Tweaking with the ROTATE Tool itself. You get to all the choices via EDIT > FLIP & ROTATE, Pick the 90 Degree selections, then do the ROTATE TWEAK. In the Rotate Tweak operation I find it best to click once on my beginning point, release the mouse, move to my end point and click once more. This simplifies the process for me
AskBud

robertdpittman
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the insight. I will take a look at the videos and play around with the tool some more.