PDA

View Full Version : Sears Cumpucarve bit closeout sale

rjgreen761
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
If anyone is interested sears is closing out their stock of compucarve bits.
Edge bit set $79.97
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921782000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
Basic bit set $34.97
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921780000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
I ordered both sets. They came in the mail today.

Icutone2
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks got mine on order.
Lee

Deolman
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Good find - thank you.

rcdages
02-23-2012, 08:17 AM
rjgreen761,

Thank you for the information. I just got off the phone from ordering mine.

7 to 10 days and I'll have them.

Great savings.

gwizpro
02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
One heck of a deal..... Ordered mine too. THANKS for the info..

Icutone2
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Shipped will receive in 3 days. Thanks!
Lee

Icutone2
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Looks like a quiet day today.
Lee

dltccf
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
These are for the Rev. A or B, can I correctly assume that I can just take the bit adapters off and use them in my ver. C machine?

rcdages
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
These are for the Rev. A or B, can I correctly assume that I can just take the bit adapters off and use them in my ver. C machine?

dltccf,

Yes you can. I have the A with a CarveTight on. Of course my C came with the CarveTight on. So I plan on just removing the adapters and good to go.

lynnfrwd
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

If they are the steel shaft decorative bits, then YES!

Deolman
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, but they have used loctite and it will require heat to loosen the allen screws.

bayea
02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
very cool !! thanks. i ordered my set :-)

dltccf
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Ok, I ordered them. Picked up both sets for $128 with shipping. That's a pretty good deal compared to the $399 it is listed at CW.

rcdages
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Connie,

They are the decorative bits a long with the V60/V90 and such.

lynnfrwd
02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I finally went to the site. 11 piece full bit set divided in two. Yep good deal. Go for it before they are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icutone2
02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Great deal! Now I have 2 sets.
Lee

rjgreen761
02-24-2012, 07:36 AM
This is a good deal. I waited until I recieved them to post the info because I didn't want to post bad info. The bits come with a magnetic case that fits in the side of the machine. Plus if you don't need the QC adapters you can sell them and reduce your cost even more.

mwhatch
02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Can you take the collar off and use them with the CarveTight?

Moeron

AskBud
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Can you take the collar off and use them with the CarveTight?

MoeronYES
On the 1/4 inch shank bits, you loosen the screws. I put mine in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes and then handle with an oven mitt or pliers (just to make it easier). On the 1/2 inch shank bits, you just loosen the nut, which is just above the head of the cutter (no heat required).
AskBud

rickyz
02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
just ordered mine today. probably won't use the decorative bits in the carvewright, but good to have them just in case. and at a great price. any chance of posting a pic of the magnetic cases the bits come in?

rjgreen761
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Here is a picture of what they look like. You get the same case with each set.

rickyz
02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
nice...... probably won't use them though but it's nice to have.... i can't really reach that side of the machine the way i have it set up now. might have to do some reconfiguring once I get a second machine.....

rjgreen761
02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
I have 2 machines and I have them on rolling cabinets so I can store the out of the way when not in use

BBrooks
02-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Great deal! Thanks for the heads up!
Cheers,

rickyz
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
bits should be here tomorrow... took sears four days to get them to ups for delivery... two days to ship.... strange...

rickyz
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
If I get a bit case with each set, i'll have an extra holder and i'll be removing all the adapters if anyone is interested in buying them, shoot me a pm and make me an offer... just a thought...

dltccf
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Mine came yesterday, for some reason Sears had an odd shipping method where they shipped it via UPS to my local post office and then the post office delivered it to my house. I hadn't gotten anything shipped that way before.

I ordered one of each case. They arrived in two of the same cases, one with 5 bits and one with 6.

Now to take the adapters off. Anyone want to buy a cheap set of adapters, never used?

Deolman
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Yup! They came in two cases - luckily! One case was damaged but now I have 18 magnets I can use for holding wood lids closed. "Now to take the adapters off. Anyone want to buy a cheap set of adapters, never used?" Wow, everybody on this post seems to have extra adapters. LOL

fwharris
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Got mine today. All in one box with ups label but delivered by local post office.

Do not think we will find many takers for the adapters even if we offer them for free and include the shipping. Might be good for duck decoy weights :roll:!

SharonB
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm still waiting for my Sears order but once I removed the adapters I'll be adding them to the ones I already have (a whole drawer full). I was thinking I might use them for fish weights when we go halibut fishing in Alaska this coming June. Sure can't think of another use for them. Oh, I wonder if I could use them in a slingshot on the quail...might end up with a good dinner that way....since we can't even give them away.

ladjr
02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Where do you go in Alaska. I used to go to Homer every year haven't been in a while

Leo

I'm still waiting for my Sears order but once I removed the adapters I'll be adding them to the ones I already have (a whole drawer full). I was thinking I might use them for fish weights when we go halibut fishing in Alaska this coming June. Sure can't think of another use for them. Oh, I wonder if I could use them in a slingshot on the quail...might end up with a good dinner that way....since we can't even give them away.

SharonB
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
We spent 28 years in Alaska...18 of them in Anchor Point (just north of Homer). But we are making our third halibut trip with AlaskaWilderness out of Cordova. They fly us out to a remote bay where we stay in floating cabins, have our own boats/motors, etc. We can fish, sightsee, or just sit on our floating deck and fish at our leasure. This has become a family affair, only 8 of us going this year, but we've had 10 in past years.

rickyz
03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
just got my sets today... i'm soooo glad I saw this post... thank you so much.... got the adapters off and ready to go now.. anyone modify the case to make them work better without the quick chucks on them? or i'll probably just add them to my bit collection drawer...

lynnfrwd
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
just got my sets today... i'm soooo glad I saw this post... thank you so much.... got the adapters off and ready to go now.. anyone modify the case to make them work better without the quick chucks on them? or i'll probably just add them to my bit collection drawer...

If you can find them, just add an extra magnet to each slot in the bit box. That will raise it up and hold the bits for the CT better.

dltccf
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
If you can find them, just add an extra magnet to each slot in the bit box. That will raise it up and hold the bits for the CT better.

I can find 11 of them in the other case :-)

rickyz
03-01-2012, 04:45 PM
great idea... I figured i'd wind up grinding down the lip above the magnet but your idea should be a lot easier....

dltccf
03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't know if it will work for the bits, but Sears just put out a coupon code for 50% off some craftsman tools and five dollars off anything over $50 SEARS5OFF50 If it does, then it makes an already great deal even better. If not maybe you can use it for something else you need.

details here: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/288758

dave

TerryT
03-02-2012, 10:08 AM
We spent 28 years in Alaska...18 of them in Anchor Point (just north of Homer). But we are making our third halibut trip with AlaskaWilderness out of Cordova. They fly us out to a remote bay where we stay in floating cabins, have our own boats/motors, etc. We can fish, sightsee, or just sit on our floating deck and fish at our leasure. This has become a family affair, only 8 of us going this year, but we've had 10 in past years.

Wow, Kathy would love that. She lived in Homer and Cordova, etc. as a Coast Guard wife. She always says I would love it there. I would like to visit at least once.

SharonB
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Terry...even after living 28 years in Alaska I believe the family thinks the trip with AlaskaWilderness is big bangs for your money. You just need to get to Cordova and they supply everything else....except your booze (if you are a drinking person) and snack treats. Once out on the water they fly in everyday to check on you and bring you anything you want. Other than that you are completely on your own.

Not to highjack the thread...I did get my bits delivered to the front door yesterday....now I have lots of halibut weights..:mrgreen:

rjgreen761
03-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm glad so many of you took advantage of this bargain, after I recieved mine I just had to share this deal. I see many of you do not need the adapters. I still have the Quick chuck in my machines and would be interested in a couple of the 1/2" adapters. Send me a PM with your asking price.
Thanks,
Randy

hess
03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm glad so many of you took advantage of this bargain, after I recieved mine I just had to share this deal. I see many of you do not need the adapters. I still have the Quick chuck in my machines and would be interested in a couple of the 1/2" adapters. Send me a PM with your asking price.
Thanks,
Randy
You can have any I got with the new set plus the others out of the old complete set I dont use them just a PITA to get them off. you pay for shipping and 10 bucks for my time and I will send you all the adapters I have also have 3 to 4
qc would be willing to part with for 10 each or what is fair

AskBud
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Removing bits from adapters
Here is some hints on removing bits from the QC bit adapters.
The following is for the 1/4 inch shank bits:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...898#post132898 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15586-Compucarve-Bits-Question&p=132898#post132898) Post #13

THE 1/2 INCH SHAFT BITS NEED NO HEAT. They have a nut (collet) at the end of the adapter that you will turn with a wrench, so you just need a pair of pliers or vice to hold the adapter while you turn the nut/collet.
AskBud

seathis
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I've heated them (twice) and all the small screws are out. The glue that holds the adapters on literally ran out onto the foil underneath when heated. But I cannot get the adapters off. Even on the 1/2" which is not supposed to have glue, but sure looked like glue to me. Anyone have any more ideas I can try please? Many thanks.

AskBud
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
I've heated them (twice) and all the small screws are out. The glue that holds the adapters on literally ran out onto the foil underneath when heated. But I cannot get the adapters off. Even on the 1/2" which is not supposed to have glue, but sure looked like glue to me. Anyone have any more ideas I can try please? Many thanks.
First, I'll re state the 1/2 inch method:
THE 1/2 INCH SHAFT BITS NEED NO HEAT. They have a nut (collet) at the end of the adapter that you will turn with a wrench, so you just need a pair of pliers or vice to hold the adapter while you turn the nut/collet.

On the 1/4 inch shaft bits, while the adapter is still warm, with the screws removed, place the bit tip down in an opening where the bit is not held but the adapter is on a solid surface. Use a dowel or bolt the push bar that you may tap with a small hammer. This should drive the bit out of the adapter. A vise slightly open may be a good holder/hole.
AskBud

mister_zed
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the information about the closeout.

Believe me or not, I am currently trying to purchase two sets of basic bits from Sears - and it seems impossible. Yes, read my lips: TRYING!

First, I wanted to purchase the bits via Sears web site for shipping to my home address. That was impossible, as soon as I entered my country.

Oh, well... then I try to purchase them to my forwarding address in the US. But that was of course not possible this time, because my Credit Card is not US.

Then I asked my forwarding company to put an order to Sears on my behalf on April 2nd. Two weeks later I got the message that the order was canceled by Sears.

Finally I asked Sears chat whether I could buy the bits from them. Yes, they were eligibal for overseas sale and I should contact the international sales department.

I contacted the international sales department and asked them for two sets of bits. The answer was: NO, because the equipment the bits are made for does not work with my electric outlet (240V/50Hz instead of 110V/60Hz). I tried to explain to them that the bits were just pieces of metal and they do work or not work regardless any outlets. And I told them that I have the Compucarve running in my garage. The next answer was still NO, because "those items will not work in your contry". ...as if the items' functionality depends on geographic location...

Anybody have any idea how I can convince Sears to take my $$ and give me the goods?

chief2007
04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I order one and looking to get another, it is one heck of a deal.

lawrence
04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the information about the closeout.

Believe me or not, I am currently trying to purchase two sets of basic bits from Sears - and it seems impossible. Yes, read my lips: TRYING!

First, I wanted to purchase the bits via Sears web site for shipping to my home address. That was impossible, as soon as I entered my country.

Oh, well... then I try to purchase them to my forwarding address in the US. But that was of course not possible this time, because my Credit Card is not US.

Then I asked my forwarding company to put an order to Sears on my behalf on April 2nd. Two weeks later I got the message that the order was canceled by Sears.

Finally I asked Sears chat whether I could buy the bits from them. Yes, they were eligibal for overseas sale and I should contact the international sales department.

I contacted the international sales department and asked them for two sets of bits. The answer was: NO, because the equipment the bits are made for does not work with my electric outlet (240V/50Hz instead of 110V/60Hz). I tried to explain to them that the bits were just pieces of metal and they do work or not work regardless any outlets. And I told them that I have the Compucarve running in my garage. The next answer was still NO, because "those items will not work in your contry". ...as if the items' functionality depends on geographic location...

Anybody have any idea how I can convince Sears to take my $$ and give me the goods?

PM sent - Lawrence

chief2007
04-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I already purchased one, looking to get another

CarverJerry
04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I got really lucky, I made a litho for an old boss I had several years ago. He's a purchasing agent and he asked me for one of my carving tools. I gave him an old worn out one. A few weeks later he showed up with 20 brand new carving bits for me. I think that will last me for a very long time. Sometimes it nice just to make a project for free, what comes around goes around.