PDA

View Full Version : Simple weaving loom

chevytrucking
02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Here's a simple weaving loom I made for my little girl. It's all cherry, with the exception of the dowels. I used the CW for putting her name on the side, adding a some lines on the ends and drilling the ninety, 1/8" holes for the pegs. You cribbage board guys know this, but the CW is awesome for any project that needs a bunch of holes drilled accurately.

LittleRedWoodshop
02-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice project ....

cestout
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
How soes it go together and how does it work. Are there plans somewhere. Very nice woodworking.
Clint

chevytrucking
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
I didn't have any plans, just looked at a bunch of them online and watched some Youtube videos. I had got my daughter a little plastic loom thing that makes pot holders, but it broke the second time it was used. So, I told her I'd make one with some nails in a board. After thinking about it, nails in a board seemed about as cheesy as the plastic thingy. So...

The outer frame was glued and screw together, with cherry plugs from the matching cutoffs (you know the extra wood you waste with your CW). The wood actually came from my mothers place, salvaged after a storm knocked over a big cherry. There are dowels set on the inside of the frame, but they only are drilled at half depth so they don't show on the outside. The legs and heddle bar supports have 3 different sets of pegs they can sit on so it's all adjustable. I'm no weaver, but this is setup is called a heddle bar loom and it can use 3 heddle bars for different patterns.

b.sumner47
02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Great leaning tool for the kid's.

Capt Barry

cestout
02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I have made several Knitting boards by looking at them and talking with knitters. I just marked where the holed go with the CarveWright, because 1/8" is to big a hole for the half finisning nails. I will have to research this loom thing.
Nice work and good idea.
Clint

chevytrucking
02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
, because 1/8" is to big a hole for the half finisning nails. Clint

I just used 1/8 hardwood dowel for the pegs, nails might be narrower, but this seems to be working pretty good. At least in my "non-weaver" opinion. I shouldn't tell this on myself, but I did do something stupid with the dowels. I was in a hurry and couldn't find my regular wood glue, so I grabbed the bottle of Gorilla glue that was handy and started glueing in the pegs. After a few minutes I remembered that Gorilla glue expands and foams up, pushing all the pegs out. Fortunately, I only glued the first 10 or so holes before waking up!

ladjr
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
This is a great gift for my granddaughter does anyone have plans.

bjbethke
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
This is a great gift for my granddaughter does anyone have plans.

I made rug looms back in the 80's, the one I still have needs to be rebuilt and some carvings added to it. It is a two harness, three pedal machine - 28 inches wide for making rag rugs. I made the heddles out of wire, I made the Jig in photo 3 to wind the heddles. It has 90 of them on each harness. Back then people saved there rags, I think I was getting around $8.00 to make there rags into rugs. The looms were selling for around $250.00 then. The loom was made like this pattern only smaller. Some parts could be made with the CW unit.

I used the long wooden needle for my shuttle. (photo 3) - It takes a good day to load the Warp threads.