PDA

View Full Version : Call for speaker & workshop suggestions

lynnfrwd
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
We will again be having guest speakers and would like for you to contact us about speaking at this year's conference.

Also, if you have workshop topic requests, please post them here.

mtylerfl
02-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi Connie,

I sent Joe a list of topic suggestions yesterday...perhaps you've seen them already?

P.S. - I'm REALLY excited about this year's conference! I know a few of the things that are going to be presented already - Wow! People are gonna love it and learn a LOT!

chebytrk
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
1. I request a video conference set up so persons like Al Who can listen in and provide input as I believe he is a valuable team player when it comes to the CW Machine.

2. Request a demo of different sleds and jigs and ways to use them. .... I know as simple as that sounds, there have been many inquiries about this on the forum.

3. Perhaps have several carvers (presenters) bring in a item for a raffle drawing or maybe a silent auction item?

4. Have someone record the conf and perhaps sell it for a nominal fee to those that can not attend the conference due to financial hardships (would be cheaper than travel and expenses, but the next best thing to being there).

5. Painting techniques presentation.......... hint hint SharonB.

Alan Malmstrom
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
How about a workshop on how to use GIMP to create Patterns.

Alan

chebytrk
02-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe setting up a conf format "cafeteria style" where people can pick and choose what training classes they want to attend. Maybe a list of all the training classes available and people just sign up for what they want.... Gimp, Painting Techniques, Designer program, STL, DXF, Tips and Tricks, Roller Jig, Sleds/Jigs, etc.... This way people can pick and choose what they want to learn or learn more about. Just a thought........

fwharris
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
The machine maintenance session was great last year. This and maybe expanded into specific areas of the machine focused on trouble shooting and the fixes.

Chris did an excellent job!

rickroy
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Being the newest kid on the block, I have no idea of how your confrences go. Is there a competetion among users for say best box desin, best small sign, best cribbage board, best new creative use, etc? Is there a display of members work ... either actual or digital? Is last year's conference format posted here somewhere? I hope to attend and meet the great people who share this passion.

gregsolano
03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Last year there was no competitions but there was a room full of actual work done by others that had some incredible projects. A few members were selling things like corian. The workshops were great and well worth the trip. There was a bag of giveaways and there were some items from the carvewright store on sale and many parts and accessory's were available for immediate purchase. You saved on shipping but had to pay sales tax so not really much saving there. overall well worth the trip but I can't go this year due to work constraints. If you are thinking of going it was well worth the price of the conference. I drove from New Mexico and stayed at a lower priced hotel near the conference site and kept costs down that way.

rossclark
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Have some hands on classes for some of us that would like to try something new . I have a duplicator I do not use. training would help !! Ross

chebytrk
03-04-2012, 11:14 PM
"Live" Video Conferencing or video recording and make available to those that attend so they can review again later for reiteration of some topics that were covered. The "Live" video conferencing can be setup and provided "as is" with unanticipated faults and charge a "nominal" fee to those that can not afford to attend conference. However, because it is a first time try (beta), no 100% guarantee can be given.

rickroy
03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I just found the 2011 conference information and it looks like I missed out on great seminars. I'll be there in June.
In 2012 I'd like to see routine mainteance best practices, creating patterns from photographs (I know it ain't easy!), the use and creation of sleds, Marketing your products particurly third party web-sites such as etsy.com and ebay.com, as well as DIY web sites. and along with many other posts here, I want to see methods of finishing. Machine sound reduction.Thanks!

mathman
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
If there's interest, I could present information on security issues related to websites and online shopping carts.

David

happy
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I like the idea of taping the conference due to I know I can't afford the expenses but I sure would love to see it

Canemaker
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
This would be an excellent workshop and I would attend. I am trying to learn, but could learn so much more. Hopefully there will be both basic and advanced sessions open to all.

Canemaker
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Hopefully, I am placing this reply in the proper place. These are just some of my thoughts for the conference.
Looking at last years conference agenda I was wondering what the difference between a newbie and a carvoholic is? Being new to the family I would like to consider myself somewhere in between. I would like to attend a basic as well as an advance class on designer, preventive maintenance checks and balances (which show how to disasimble the machine to make adjustments, repairs and put back together without having extra parts remaining):(, how to make sled & jigs and their uses, how to use gimp or another program to make patterns, and solutions for dust collection other than stopping and restarting the machine every few hours. Maybe there could be a show and tell room setup for others to display their works and or advancements (jigs & sleds) [maybe for sale or not] during the breaks. Another avenue could be morning and evening classes that rotate from day to day so everyone has an opportunity to take both the basic and advanced classes. Thanks John

lynnfrwd
03-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Hopefully, I am placing this reply in the proper place. These are just some of my thoughts for the conference.
Looking at last years conference agenda I was wondering what the difference between a newbie and a carvoholic is? Being new to the family I would like to consider myself somewhere in between. I would like to attend a basic as well as an advance class on designer, preventive maintenance checks and balances (which show how to disasimble the machine to make adjustments, repairs and put back together without having extra parts remaining):(, how to make sled & jigs and their uses, how to use gimp or another program to make patterns, and solutions for dust collection other than stopping and restarting the machine every few hours. Maybe there could be a show and tell room setup for others to display their works and or advancements (jigs & sleds) [maybe for sale or not] during the breaks. Another avenue could be morning and evening classes that rotate from day to day so everyone has an opportunity to take both the basic and advanced classes. Thanks John

I think most of these will be met!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk