PDA

View Full Version : Should the Y Truck Pull off the Rail Like This ?? Video Attached !!

Brad Wardman
02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
The lower left side of the Y truck pops off the rail with a little hand pressure...Is this normal or is a belt or bearing loose ?? Short Video at link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75631491@N06/6904127741/in/photostream

fwharris
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Brad,

From what I can tell it looks like one or more of your Y bearings are loose.

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
The Y has 2 sets of bearings... A Center Drilled and a off set drilled. The Offset bearing is turned to TOP DEAD CENTER of it's full PINCH position to lock the truck on the track. Careful as you can snap off the screw....

AL

Brad Wardman
02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks all...took the dust cover off that side and sure enough that adjustable bearing is LOOSE !! Oddly enough, the screw cant be loosened or tightened from the front (just spins round & round), even when applying light pressure to the backside.. We are at 175 hours, so figure we will take it down to do some cleaning and check everything out. If there is something easy Im missing on tightening that up, let me know.
Thanks,
Brad

AskBud
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks all...took the dust cover off that side and sure enough that adjustable bearing is LOOSE !! Oddly enough, the screw cant be loosened or tightened from the front (just spins round & round), even when applying light pressure to the backside.. We are at 175 hours, so figure we will take it down to do some cleaning and check everything out. If there is something easy Im missing on tightening that up, let me know.
Thanks,
BradHere is the link to Y-Truck replacement. It should help with your adjustment or replacement of roller bearings.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_y-truck.pdf

Brad Wardman
02-19-2012, 07:48 PM
OK...this seems odd with only 172 hours.. !!...Got the Y truck off. One of the lower (non adjustable) Y bearings is loose on the bolt and the bearing itself is frozen solid. Inspecting the Z truck, it seems as one of those bearings is locked pretty tight and another can just be free wheeled (while still on the Y truck).
That just kinda sucks...have a couple big orders in queue :((

Brad

Capt Bruce
02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
"...took the dust cover off that side and sure enough that adjustable bearing is LOOSE !! Oddly enough, the screw cant be loosened or tightened from the front (just spins round & round), even when applying light pressure to the backside.. "

I had the same condition at about 190 hours and nothing I tried would free that screw to be able to tighten it up. Ended up drilling out the head of the screw to replace the bearing. Be careful to center the drill bit carefully.

bergerud
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
You can probably still get back up and running. The "frozen" bearings are probably just full of saw dust. Pop off the back seal with a dental pick, blow it out, free it up, oil it, and put the seal back on. If the bolt is loose, you should be able to tighten it back up. Edit: well maybe not?

Brad Wardman
02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Not sawdust...popped the seal off....just plum locked up. Anyone have an NSK or similiar number for all these Y & Z truck bearings where I could find them locally ??? Also the screw sizes ?? Might well replace them all while we're this far !!
Much appreciated