PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle box

DickB
02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
This is a puzzle box project that I am currently working. During a recent search I got off on some tangents (typical) and I ran across this web site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/index.html. I was inspired by some of these boxes and decided to build one for myself with the CarveWright.
back locked 51394 front locked 51397 back open 51395 front open 51396
What you see partially assembled is the inner box and some loose slider pieces. The front sliders will keep a hinged top locked shut. To move the front sliders open, you must first slide the back sliders and then the side ones. The back and side sliders both must be moved up before they can be slid sideways. There is a total of 10 moves to be made to unlock the box.
The inner box will be covered by an outer decorative layer with L-shaped slots. Pegs attached to the recesses that you see on each slider will protrude through the slots and be covered by decorative buttons, the buttons being large enough to hide the slots, like the one on the right. On first glance there will appear to be no moving parts. But to open the box you must move the buttons up and over in the correct sequence. The CarveWright allows boxes like this to be built using fewer parts than the author of the web site uses, and of course add some nice carved detail to the outside. I’ve only been working I this today and yesterday, and I expect to complete assembly if not finishing next week.

ladjr
02-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Nice job. I look forward to following your progress.

Leo

bergerud
02-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Very cool. Another application of Carvewright milling! I could see this making a great project.

Sallen1215
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Very nice, i was going to do something similar but i didn't have the skills to figure out all the cuts, i look forward to seeing what this turns into. Definitely one i am going to keep my eye on

Stephen

DickB
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
The first outer face is on. You can see where the shaft to the decorative button will attach and allow the slider to be moved.

DickB
02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Back side of slider button, locked position, unlocked position.

51431 51432 51433

SharonB
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Look forward to each new installment of your project. Hope the pattern ends up in the store.

Icutone2
02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Looks great!
Lee

DickB
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
All the moving parts are assembled except for the lid. It is working, but there are a few improvements I see making to the internal sliders (aren't there always improvements?) and I am undecided on the outer joints. I used beveled edges cut on my band saw, which looks good, but it's not the easiest thing to do. You can see I got glue on the inside surfaces, but those are intended to be covered in felt. My wife thinks the design is "old fashioned", so I'm thinking about a Celtic knot theme for the next one.