PDA

View Full Version : Customer Mock-up

MeasureTwiceCutOnce
02-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not quite sure where to post this question... Techniques, Software, Other?... but here goes...

How do you show a customer a mock-up of a project that they've ordered?

I can take screenshot and then print it. But I'd really like to be able to show something close to the finished product - stained , painted, etc. Especially for a custom project. I'd like to show them something and get their sign-off on it before I get to work on it. I'm thinking a screenshot saved as a jpg and then imported into a paint program. But how would you handle the shading within the Centerline text, etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

AskBud
02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm not quite sure where to post this question... Techniques, Software, Other?... but here goes...

I can take screenshot and then print it. But I'd really like to be able to show something close to the finished product - stained , painted, etc. Especially for a custom project. I'd like to show them something and get their sign-off on it before I get to work on it. I'm thinking a screenshot saved as a jpg and then imported into a paint program. But how would you handle the shading within the Centerline text, etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!You're on the right track. It may just depend upon the strength of your paint or photo editing program. You could always use crayons, color it the way your want, scan it. In either case, just explain that the image is a mock-up and not the finished product.
AskBud

fwharris
02-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Have them down load the software.... :mrgreen:

MeasureTwiceCutOnce
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Great ideas, but I'd like something electronic that I could email (as a pdf) to a customer for approval. Is there a photo/paint program out there that easily selects and shades areas?

As suggested, I could hand-color the screen shot. And then scan it in and email it. That would certainly keep the "custom designed and handmade" look that I strive for and use to promote my work.

Suggesting that customers download the software is definitely out. Whenever I've mentioned that I use a computer to help me, people automatically envision a big "wood printer". They think I tap a few keys, load a piece of wood, and the completely finished product spits out the other side... which then makes them think "Oh, this won't cost much"...

Been down that road... Whenever that starts up, I usually say, "When was the last time you were at Wal-Mart and saw something with your last name sitting on the shelf..."