PDA

View Full Version : Gun stocks

ONLY WINGS
02-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Can someone help me as to the procedure to carve on gun stocks. I have a long way to go but I have time to learn.

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I have been here since 2007 and I don't believe anyone ever has done a Gun Stock.... But I could be Wrong... A Few Wooden Grips.... But not a Stock.... With a 3/4 inch carving depth... On each side... I bet it is possible to get a rough shape.... The Barrel Area will need to be hand cut unless you made a Jig to stand up the stock....

You could Trace one with a Probe..... But Lots of WORK.....

My buddy down the Road with a Digital 3 D Scanner, Solid Works I believe is the program... That would be the way to do it.... But that is the Big Boys Club.... Sentences end in "XXX Hundreds of Thousand of Dollars.... "

http://polhemus.com/?page=Scanning_Fastscan

http://polhemus.com/?page=Scanning_Case_Studies_New_Wave_Woodworking

Toured the place a few years ago with our carve buddy ChrisAlb.

Anyone?....

AL

gashawk
02-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Hello in Homer!

To add a ptn to a pattern and keep it from lowering, you wiil need a pattern that will carve "anatomically correct" in a negitive merger.
That is to keep from carving new wood on the gunstock and still look correct.

This shotgun alone took two scans, but the mpc fits on the card, 5000kb and will take 25 hours to carve.

mav36
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok Is he asking about carving a gun stock? Or carving a pattern onto a gun stock? I had someone recently ask about carving something on a gun stock and was just wondering the same thing.

Joel

edzbaker
02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
If you are wanting to carve "Into" a gun stock, it's no problem. Just use a sled. You can do a mock up with some scrap wood to make sure your set up is correct before the actual carve. The picture shows a dragon carved into a rifle stock of mine.

Ed

bobtom
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Nice dragon. well done. I have carved gunstock with a ultra high speed hand piece.
Long time and lots of work. Never thought of using my carvewright.
I may try that next time.

mtylerfl
02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
If you are wanting to carve "Into" a gun stock, it's no problem. Just use a sled. You can do a mock up with some scrap wood to make sure your set up is correct before the actual carve. The picture shows a dragon carved into a rifle stock of mine.

Ed

That's beautiful, Ed!!

lynnfrwd
02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I absolutely dread the "can you make rifle stocks or gun grips" questions!

Nice job and thanks for providing proof that it can be done!!

jeeptrix
12-09-2012, 01:47 AM
I just got my machine and joined the forum. I really like your shotgun carving. Any chance you may be willing to share the program?

gashawk
12-09-2012, 03:18 AM
If you mean this gun,57522 its just a scan of my gun. I was just trying to carve on the stock. it's much to big to post here. And there is a copywrite question. Some gun makers allow use of thier logo like Browning.

57523 Same dog, same shotgun patterns, but the dog does have a copywrite.

Ropdoc
12-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Ed

I was asked last night about this very thing. A guy has 5 old shotguns that he is setting up for his kids. They are display pieces. I was thinking of making a sled to hold the stock. And make some test pieces before carving. I have no idea what to charge thou. I guess charge for machine time and cleanup.

Dave

Ropdoc
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
If you mean this gun,57522 its just a scan of my gun. I was just trying to carve on the stock. it's much to big to post here. And there is a copywrite question. Some gun makers allow use of thier logo like Browning.

57523 Same dog, same shotgun patterns, but the dog does have a copywrite.

My first customer (just got him) makes things from ammo and sells it. He is expandinding his bussiness which brings me in. I carve withing from wood that he can add his ammo stuff to. I love your 2 carvings. Think about selling or sharing. They are beautiful carvings.

jeeptrix
12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
gashawk:

There shouldn't be a copyright problem if the item isn't used for commercial purposes. Merely carving something with a company name on it for personal use is not a problem. It would be the same as if you took a photo of your gun and hung it on the wall.

I don't have a scanning probe. Is that how you made the layout? If you are willing to share your mpc file you can send me a PM and I will give you an email address.

Ropdoc
12-09-2012, 04:03 PM
but the dog does have a copywrite.

If I am selling the carving and not the pattern why is it a copywright issue? I am just trying to understand.

gashawk
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Can I redistribute to others models provided to me.No you cannot sell, rent, give away models created by us for your use. 3D Model Club owns the intellectual property rights for any work commissioned to us. Digitized models cannot distributed to third parties in any media, including, CDs, DVDs uploaded to websites, FTP sites, transmitted in any electronic way without explicit permission from 3D Model Club. This restriction applies to individuals, corporate organisations, government organisations, non-profit organisations, schools, hospitals, prisons etc. You are allowed to use our models into any finished products you may create for your clients or your own collection.
You cannot make a mold or other production device for mass production. You also cannot sell the electronic files, in part or included in another design or in any format, or give them away for free.

jeeptrix
12-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Can I redistribute to others models provided to me.

No you cannot sell, rent, give away models created by us for your use. 3D Model Club owns the intellectual property rights for any work commissioned to us. Digitized models cannot distributed to third parties in any media, including, CDs, DVDs uploaded to websites, FTP sites, transmitted in any electronic way without explicit permission from 3D Model Club. This restriction applies to individuals, corporate organisations, government organisations, non-profit organisations, schools, hospitals, prisons etc. You are allowed to use our models into any finished products you may create for your clients or your own collection.
You cannot make a mold or other production device for mass production. You also cannot sell the electronic files, in part or included in another design or in any format, or give them away for free.

Your comments do not make sense. "No you cannot sell, rent, give away models created by us for your use." If the item is created by you for my use I can do whatever I want with it. If a piece is commissioned to be completed by 3D Model Club and then sold to that commissioning party they can then do whatever they want with that item.

Your above comment then contridicts itself when you say "You are allowed to use our models into any finished products you may create for your clients or your own collection." So which is it?

You may wish to re-read what your attorney has provided to you and quote it correctly before posting something like this.

Since you obviously do not want to share your projects why not just say so? We would understand without the need for all the above language.

badbert
12-10-2012, 04:05 AM
Since you obviously do not want to share your projects why not just say so? We would understand without the need for all the above language.

I am not weighing in on copyright issues! I simply would like to agree with this statement. Lately there has been a lack of sharing. I personally get great pleasure from helping others. Imitation being the highest form of flattery, I love when people use my patterns and carve my projects! I don't mind if you are using them to sell your finished product, you made it! But the problem comes from people selling other people's patterns! Making a product from the pattern means you made something, selling my patterns means you made nothing. So you have no right to sell it!

There are many free gun patterns in the Pattern sharing forum. There is even gun manufacturer logos.

jeeptrix
12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't mind if you are using them to sell your finished product, you made it! But the problem comes from people selling other people's patterns! Making a product from the pattern means you made something, selling my patterns means you made nothing. So you have no right to sell it!

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

gashawk
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't even know where we are on this. The statement I posted was from the 3D web site and was about the dog. "End User License Agreement / Terms and Conditions"The mpc is much to big to post here and I have real issues with my internet connection (downloading and emailing)The shotgun was made from two ptns and a patch. So I made a ptn of it and of course mpw. I simply can't find where it is stored. The mpw is an invalid file.

eelamb
12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
If the item is created by you for my use I can do whatever I want with it.

If the pattern (PTN, MPC) was created for you and shared with you, you may use the pattern to produce a product for yourself, or a product to be sold. You may share the pattern as long as you state it can not be sold, but you may NOT sell the pattern in it's original format (PTN, MPC, STL, etc).

If the pattern was purchased by you, from any of the sources available, it is a commercial pattern. You may use it to produce a product for your use, or product to be sold. You may NOT share the pattern, and you may NOT sell the pattern in it's original format (PTN, MPC, STL, etc).

In either case the pattern belongs to the creator, and is not yours to sell.

gashawk
12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Send me a private message, with your e-mail address and I will try to send a group e-mail of some gun scan mpc's.

mannwranglers
12-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Please send me what you can...
Thank you!!
My email is MANnWranglers@hotmail.com
Again.....thanks