PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Wood Show

Eric_WI
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I hope that I am in the right place to be asking. If not, please point me in the right direction.

Will any of you folks be heading to the Woodworking Show in Milwaukee this weekend? It looks like Carvewright is a sponsor/exhibitor for the series.

Hope to see a working machine there and hopefully meet some of you folks as well!

lynnfrwd
02-14-2012, 04:18 PM
We DO NOT have any one that will be doing this show. Any of our START U members, UsersGroups or ANYONE that is qualified and wants to take this weekend, please let us know!!!

tierman
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Eric,
Check your PM
Roger

Eric_WI
02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
We DO NOT have any one that will be doing this show. Any of our START U members, UsersGroups or ANYONE that is qualified and wants to take this weekend, please let us know!!!

Send me a machine and I will "demo" it for the WI crowd. :mrgreen:

The Rockler folks will be there showing off their shark machine, so you probably don't want to be left out...;)

lynnfrwd
02-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks to Alan Malmstrom for helping us out at the WWS this weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Malmstrom
02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I had a good time at the CarveWright booth Milwaukee show last weekend. Basically I would ask people if they were familiar with the machine. I’d then explained how you could put a board up to 14.5” into it, do any length as long as you had supports, the rollers and belts which feed the board in and out. Talked about servo motor speed and accuracy. I then showed what the carving bit looks like and explained how the bit travels back and forth to achieve the detail. Next the cutting bit which follows the contour of a path.

Next I’d show them the software and how to capture an image off of the screen to the clipboard. Bring it into Designer via the Import Image Dialog box, hitting Next to get the 3D preview (a lot of people were impressed with this), and how you can set the depth, and finally clicking finish to save. Then to the designer software where you can set up your board size. Easily finding the pattern in the pattern list and simply clicking it then clicking on the board to place it and move and resize it (Again most people were impressed with the ease at which all this is done). Then I went over inverting a pattern and also turning the board over to utilize a two sided carve. This is when I would explain the concept of height map raster’s and how they could take simple clip art and change colors to achieve simple patterns with them. And all the patterns on the web site.

Then I would show how to outline a pattern with the background dropped out to create paths, and how these paths can be set up using the [Select Bit] as well as the [Cut Path] to set “Inset” “Depth” and “Max Pass Depth”. How the paths can be used with the cutting bit as well as the router bit set. The built in router bit profiles and how they automatically change the speed of the cut motor.

I then showed how I use the sanding mop and dremel sanding disks to smooth out the fine detail.
Then I’d give them a pricing list and explain the different packages and then the scanning probe and sled.

I slipped in the my opinion on how using good wood and setting pass depth is the best strategy for maintaining good heath for the machine and reading the tips and tricks, the forum as well as maintenance documents on the web site.

Alan

tierman
02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Good job Alan, it was great meeting you. I hope it was a successful weekend.
Rog