PDA

View Full Version : Considering bying soon but concerned

smurfjeep
02-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Hello,
I have been looking at buying for quite some time, In reading the forums and other online comments concerning this machine. With the new "C" version has Carvewright fixed issues like bad "L2", or Flexshaft, Motor brushes.... It seems like these are all known issues.

I am a person that has some mechanical abilities, and do realize that bt providing some preventative maintenance will keep any machine in running order longer. But how much time is spent providing preventive maintenance vs. actual usage of this machine.

I am really interested in buying a system with HD belts, and some sort of Dust collection system...(it seems like that will help with most of the problems. Is the 2 year warranty actually needed since most of the repairs I see on this forum are done by members.

Any advice is appreciated, what would a person need to begin making signs (bits, Software) By the way I may have a pretty good understanding of mechanical issues, but when it comes to computing (software) I can be intimidated real easily, ie. what learning curve does one need with the CW software? Thanks.
Woody

AskBud
02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Hello,
I have been looking at buying for quite some time, In reading the forums and other online comments concerning this machine. With the new "C" version has CarveWright fixed issues like bad "L2", or Flexshaft, Motor brushes.... It seems like these are all known issues.

I am a person that has some mechanical abilities, and do realize that bt providing some preventative maintenance will keep any machine in running order longer. But how much time is spent providing preventive maintenance vs. actual usage of this machine.

I am really interested in buying a system with HD belts, and some sort of Dust collection system...(it seems like that will help with most of the problems. Is the 2 year warranty actually needed since most of the repairs I see on this forum are done by members.

Any advice is appreciated, what would a person need to begin making signs (bits, Software) By the way I may have a pretty good understanding of mechanical issues, but when it comes to computing (software) I can be intimidated real easily, ie. what learning curve does one need with the CW software? Thanks.
WoodyHello Woody,
Welcome to the forum.

Let me start by suggesting that you go to the profile tab, at the top of the screen and list your general location and any other data you wish to share. By listing your location, you may even get an invite from a nearby member to visit and get to know the machine better.

The new "C" machines are a real plus. The CarveTight Assembly has removed lots of the vibration issues which are/were a bane to the older units. Vibration is what caused the parts and electronics to become loose. You should consider a Dust Collector that moves 600 CFM, or more. Combine this with a top-mounted vacuum head, and you will eliminate much of the dust that causes so much trouble.

Preventative maintenance is not that intense/hard, in my opinion. Keep tabs on the Flex Shaft for excess heat, and lube as needed (don't over lube). Watch the traction belts for signs of rolling over. Catch it before it happens. It can be caused by an uneven head pressure, a warped board, dirt migrating under the belt, etc.

The warranty issue is up to you, read the agreement carefully. It may provide discounts on various parts and some other assistance, but the decision is yours.

The basic software, that comes with the unit, will allow you the do the basic tasks for sign making and other carving.
In order to make more complex signs, you may wish to purchase "Centerline" and "Conforming Vectors" and the 60 & 90 degree V-bits These items will allow you to accomplish many things you may desire to do. I also suggest the Scanning Probe package, as it gives you "Pattern Editor" as well as the ability to copy hard models with the unit. Pattern Editor allows you to modify patterns that you develop, but not patterns made by others (as a rule). The full bit package, as shown by LHR is your choice. It's a matter of "Will I ever use that/those bit(s)".

You may download the basic designer, as a trial now, and begin the learning process. You do not need to wait until you purchase the unit.

I suggest that you try some reverse engineering on existing MPCs offered on the forum. By dissecting some of these, you will see what bits are used as well as how they were designed. It will help you better understand the various bit usage and design concepts.
The "download" link, in my signature section below, contains many lessons and links which are helpful. Two that will assist with reverse engineering are titled "Understand and Modify a MPC" and "MPC Bit Confirmation".
AskBud