PDA

View Full Version : You guessed it another z-axis stall - e06-0313

gibson123
02-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I've combed through the forum, and have tried a number of the fixes posted on here. I first got the error during a cut, and now it bascially occurs when I am configuring a project, sometimes I get lucky and the project starts for 5 minutes and then I get the error.

Here is what I know. I made it through all of the user testing, except on the motor cut, it just went right back to the "test motor cut" text without performing any test. The other tests for x,y,z axis went fine.

I have reformatted the card and updated the software a couple of weeks ago, but I'll try it again.

I tested the wiring from the power supply and seemed to be OK as per Carvewright. Cleaned out the dust in the back of the z-motor. Up and down motion seems fine to me when not powered up.

I took apart the motor, some significant dust blew out (some of it very fine from the corian I cut), and then I found what looks like significant wearing on the rotor. The motor has around 300 hours on it. I am attaching the pics.

Also, I have heard the motor change/adjust speeds while it is cutting at a different pitch and I was reading about that in the troubleshooting manuel.

Is this the culprit, can I order this part from Carvewright, or do I need a whole new motor?

Any advice, feedback or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
The Wear and Grind Marks are BALANCING MARKS and MADE at the FACTORY on a machine to Balance the Armature.... This is a GOOD THING as Martha would say.....

I am suspecting you have a BAD L2 in the Power Supply.....

Going to go in Guess Mode.....

Make a project that just has 1 bit on it.... Like carving a Rectangle 1/4 inch deep as a Carve Region.... Just want it to take less time to troubleshoot...

A. Load the project... At the Install the Bit point and you press ENTER does the Cut Motor Spin UP for a few seconds.....

YES, go below to B.

NO. Make sure the cover is closed, Cut Motor Wires pushed together in the back right side. Do you hear the right side switch click?

On the bottom of the machine is the C1 Capacitor broken off on one end on the X Termination Board?

B. Motor Spun Up... Does it start cutting THEN STOP.... Or Stall?

Cut Motor Brushes too short

C1 on X Termination Board broken and vibrated the machine off....

L2 in the Power Supply Opened and caused the machine to shut down....

TELL US More..... INPUT as that little Robot would say....

AL

gibson123
02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Ah, thank you Al for the info, I could not figure out how that got there, mystery solved.

Yes, the motor spins when the bit is selected and I saw your comments previously on the motor brushes.

Usually, it cycles through everything and as the carriage is returning to the side by the control panel, just before initiating a cut, I get the error. Last time I did get it to start cutting and I made it 5 minutes before the error.

gibson123
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
One other note, I am not sure if it's important. Before I was getting the z-axis stall error, I ran the machine once or twice where the carriage was impeded physically and did not engage the kick plate. So when it went to check the depth of the bit, it found nothing and still went on to the carve. Could this have thrown off the calibration or something?

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2012, 12:48 PM
The Y Carriage not getting all the way to the Kick Plate otherwise known as the Bit Plate is caused by the wires from the right side cover switch being out of position. They need to be tucked into the back corner or the Fins of the Z Motor will hit the wires and the Y Carriage stops short of pushing out the Bit Plate. If the bit misses the bit plate that is telling the machine this is the end of the bit... then it throws all kinds of things off....

Fix that and tell us more... Every time you remove the top cover you must remember to tuck the wires in....

If you have not... Find the Tips and Tricks on the LHR site and read them. Lots of Pilot Error Stuff Explained in that... Written by US the Users, as WE have all had the Wires out of place and all have had the bit miss the bit plate....

You should get in the habit to watch every bit change and watch everything the bit does... ESPECIALLY when it touches the Bit Plate and be in TUNE with what is happening... 2 touches on the bit plate GOOD... 3 touches on the Bit PLATE and SOMETHING IS WRONG... It did not like one set of numbers.... WHY could be a Dirty RAIL, Frozen Bearing, bad FFC Cable..... Touching the Wood Surfaced 3 touches is normal... So spend the time at each bit change and watch the bit... It tells you the Health of the Machine...

Dirty Rails can let the bit stop SHORT of the Bit Plate as it is looking for a Current Increase... And a Speed Bump of dirt can cause a reverse and you end up with a AIR CARVE....

Tips and Tricks.. That will HELP...

Good Luck,

AL