PDA

View Full Version : need board placement help

jaustin
02-12-2012, 04:49 PM
getting ready to carve this and need to know which side to place against control panel side
Board has a crack that will be in the scrap area if board is placed correctly.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/gunracksonline/layout.jpg

thanks

Capt Bruce
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Jaustin,
Place side 1 against the control panel side since it will carve "upside down" compared to what you see in Designer. Be sure your side facing the controll panel is straight and flat. Put masking tape on its bottom face to ensure the brass wheel has a good bite all along that edge for accurate registration during the carve. Show us the result when it carves please.

mathman
02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
If the picture shown by Jaustin is how it looks in designer, wouldn't you need side 3 against the control panel side since it carves "upside down"? I can see that having the edge without the 'cracks' on the control panel side would be preferable but that would require rotating the layout in designer, wouldn't it? Or the short question: what am I missing? :confused:

David

PCW
02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Rob (HighTechOkie (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?1314-HighTechOkie))

AskBud
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Jaustin,
Place side 1 against the control panel side since it will carve "upside down" compared to what you see in Designer. Be sure your side facing the controll panel is straight and flat. Put masking tape on its bottom face to ensure the brass wheel has a good bite all along that edge for accurate registration during the carve. Show us the result when it carves please.Capt. Bruce is correct!
Re-do your design.
Place your edge #1 at the top of designer, as it is the better orientation of the good surface.
Then re-draw your lines and orient the deer pattern as needed. This will place the cracked edge away from the keyboard.
As you place the actual board in the machine, make sure it is oriented the same as the design.

We all presume that the crack does not cause any warp like affect, as we would then need to re think our usage of that material. It may be usable, but may entail a sled and proper placement to be viable.
AskBud

jaustin
02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I ended up putting edge 3 towards keyboard. i found the info that PCW posted in the tips and tricks area and went with it.
I will find out when it is done carving for sure.

The cracks i am trying to keep in the scrap area.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
OK... In NAVY LINGO.... The TOP edge of the Designer or the TOP OF THE PAGE is the PORT SIDE.... And ALSO the BRASS ROLLER EDGE.... And the RIGHT Side of Designer is the BOW and the POINTY END and goes into the machine FIRST under the muffler side.... The Bottom of he Designer Board is the Starboard Side and the Sliding Guide Edge....

Hope this HELPS.... TOP OF DESIGNER BRASS ROLLER EDGE....

AL

jaustin
02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
well guess I really wont know for sure cracked ended up where I didn't want it.
It was a 2 sided carve and i think if i would of just loaded the board and not worried about it, it would of turned out fine.

I will post the finished proto type design in a week or two if I get it finished.
It is going to be a rifle rack when finished.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
The danger you have running this project is that the board will get WIDER mid board and this can cause a JAM at the Brass Roller Side... Place your fingers on the left and right side of the machine where the board is up against the left side or brass roller side... That 90 degree metal has been known to catch a side splinter..... IF I were doing it... I would RIP the board on a Table Saw to size... At least WIDTH.... Then cut matching 4 inch long and width blocks and use masking tape and even a little glue if required of scrap wood... Use Center on Board or Place on END....

I bet the machine will fault out on the measuring of the board.... I tried this same adventure once on a large cracked board.... It cost me a broken X Gear....

You place a 4 inch dead area in the right side of Designer....

AL

jaustin
02-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I didn't use the Caevewright to cut it out, I had it to mark a 0.031 path so I will know where to cut it out on the table saw.it is acutally 2 boards .75" thick total of 1.5" thick the same deer carved on both sides.

I also did have 4" extra on both ends of the board.

only thing I was trying to do was to orient the board so when it carved the 0.031 lines the cracks in the board would of been in the scrap area.