PDA

View Full Version : Machines is in transit!

k9smith
02-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Well it will be here on Monday. I have read and read andwill read some more. I have lube, dust collector that l already have in my shop andRingneck Blues DCINSERT on the way. My question is while looking through theforums I am missing what you guys are doing for the projects that cut completelythrough the board. Are you just putting the project board on top off a sacrificialboard or what? I searched and couldn’t find an answer so I’m guessing I’m callingit by the wrong name. I have a full shop and think this tool will be a fun additionto it.
Thanks in advance Joe

mtylerfl
02-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Hello and Welcome!

What you are talking about is a Cut Path function. It's a simple procedure to outline an object, then click on the "Cut Path Tool". You will see choices you can make for number of hold-down tabs, and their dimensions (I generally use a minimum of 4 tabs, 3/16" thick, two tabs per foot).

No "spoil board" or anything like that is required if cutting from a single board inserted in the machine.

Be sure to download the Software Owner's Manual from the Carvewright website at http://www.carvewright.com/service/Manuals/CarveWright_Software_Manual.pdf. It explains the Cut Path and just about everything else you will need to reference while learning how to create layout designs, etc.

Also download the Tips & Tricks articles at http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/tips.php. Much to learn and be aware of. The Tips articles will help you in many areas. Keep in mind that some changes have taken place in the last five years, so a couple items here and there may no longer be applicable to the new and improved versions of the machine and software - nevertheless, the vast majority of topics still apply.

All the Best - we're excited for you and your new venture!

Capt Bruce
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the Forum K9smith. No need to be concerned by the Cut Path function because the machine area below the cutting point on the board where the 1/8" bit goes passes down into a gap area between the two parallel sandpaper (rubber) belts that support and move the board through the CW. Nothing will be harmed. Enjoy your new carving experience.

Smoken D
02-12-2012, 08:25 AM
I use the sled for most all of my projects that stay under 36". That is the length of my sled, anything over I add the 7" rule. Now for projects that cut through the board, such as the Monthly POM, I go ahead and add that extra 7" so that I do not cut into my sled. I don't do enough projects that cut all the way through so don't feel that bad about wasting that extra 7". Some projects that will cut through, I just do it on the scroll saw and save that 7".

k9smith
02-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome and replies. Ok that makes sense. Iwould have hopefully noticed that where the cutting bit comes in contact withthe wood that there is a gap beneath it. I was worried about cutting into thebelts. The wife thinks I’m a bit obsessed here lately as that’s all I have beendoing is reading manuals and tip and tricks videos. Just want to make sure thatI give the machine the best chance possible to perform for me. A special thanksto Fwharris (ringneck blues) for his help in getting my order in and answeringquestions and the DCINSERT too.

b.sumner47
02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
k9smith, Welcome Aboard ! Your in for alot of fun and surprises.

Capt Barry

fwharris
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Joe,

Oh the anticipation of the arrival of your machine!!! Great job on reading up and asking your questions here. As you noticed there are many who will jump in and give you the answers.

Thanks again for the machine order and great comments. Looking forward to seeing your first carve...

crfahy
02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Welcome K9! I just got my machine in November, and have been 'a bit obsessed' since then. I'm still learning something new every day! Now that my husband has seen all these cool projects that I have produced, he understands why I have spent so much time reading this forum!
I was a bit afraid on my first 'cut out' project, but it worked fine. I've been using a carrier board now for all my projects, just to save the excess 7" of boards. I have some marks on it from my cut outs, but it hasn't hurt anything. I'm guessing my standard boards aren't really .75 thick. Anyway, now I always set the 'max path depth' on the cut outs to .25 so that it doesn't try to cut all the way through in 1 pass.
Happy carving!
Colleen
p.s. - Fwharris's dcinsert works GREAT! You'll be glad you got it!

gapdev
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
In order to fully appreciate Floyd's DC Insert, you have to do one carve without it. Just pick a simple 30 min - 1 hour project. :mrgreen:

Kenny

fwharris
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
In order to fully appreciate Floyd's DC Insert, you have to do one carve without it. Just pick a simple 30 min - 1 hour project. :mrgreen:

Kenny

Yes it does really suck! :) :cool:

k9smith
02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
gapdev hmmmm that sounds like a newbie set up to me lol:D