PDA

View Full Version : Center not in the Center?

wizer
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys

I am trying to make a sign with the CW after a break away from it for over a year. The sign is simply two words using centerline. But In designer, I'm noticing that there is material left at the bottom of the carve regions?

Doesn't the centerline plugin run the bit directly in the middle of the letter? This looks like it's outlining it?

Or am I confused?

AskBud
02-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi Guys

I am trying to make a sign with the CW after a break away from it for over a year. The sign is simply two words using centerline. But In designer, I'm noticing that there is material left at the bottom of the carve regions?

Doesn't the centerline plugin run the bit directly in the middle of the letter? This looks like it's outlining it?

Or am I confused?Off hand, I would say this Font has the double center. We need to see the MPC, or know the Font and size of the design board.
AskBud

wizer
02-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry. Here's the mpc

mtylerfl
02-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry. Here's the mpc

Hi wizer,

Very large fonts cut as Centerline may have "islands" of material left in the bottom of the "V". The toolpath shows how the v-bit tries to compensate, but it won't guarantee a clean "V" in the center of each letter. This is an identical problem for all CNC machines. The solution is use a larger bit (120 degree...not an approved bit for the CarveWright), or a special v-bit with a flattenend bottom instead of a pointed tip (used successfully by Pkunk with his CarveWright, but again, not a CW approved bit) or on "brand-x" machines you can set a "flat" for the toolpath itself when generating a toolpath (CW cannot do this yet). Otherwise, carve it and clean up the "v islands" manually.

AskBud
02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry. Here's the mpc

51242Several things are now evident.
Your font is Harabara, and you have applied the BOLD option, as well the text is large.
When I remove BOLD, some of the lines are gone. If I reduce the size others go away.
From viewing the design (without the text highlighted) it appears that the final result will be fine, for the most part. The "T" and "N" may have a double bottom at the cross points. The BOLD application will force a deeper/wider carve.

The extra linage, you see while highlighted, may just be a view of how the text will be attacked as it is carved.
AskBud

PS: Michael's reply is also very true.

wizer
02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks Bud. I understand. Will try to remember that.

Tom