PDA

View Full Version : Back port (DB25)?

FelixPQ
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi,

anyone nows the real purpose of this port? Is there a pinout diagram or electrical diagram of some sort somewhere?

Thanks,
Felix

atauer
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
That port is used for calibration purposes at the factory. Not used for really anything else.

FelixPQ
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
atauer,

I'm not saying your wrong about this but it seems a rather expensive solution for doing just that, I assume it as to be wired somehow to the controller board, so there are some wires in there, that cost money both for material and labor and if you add to that the visible connector itself and those inside probably, may be just one though but still quite an expense it would seem. Don't you think?

Thanks,
Felix

DocWheeler
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
When I first got my machine I was concerned aboutdust getting into it and put a piece of duct tape over it.
I have sent that machine in for repairs twice in the four years since then and the tape has never been tampered with.
It seems it is not used for anything.

RMarkey
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Alex is right, its used for calibration purposes only.

Any software used to communicate through the port is NOT included in the standard firmware.

DocWheeler
02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I did not mean to imply that Alex was incorrect, just that they were not used for that purpose on either "fix" when returned to Texas for repair.

FelixPQ
02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Any software used to communicate through the port is NOT included in the standard firmware.

This last phrase, that I can understand and it fine by me.

If I was the designer of the machine and had to convinced the company to spent the extra money to build that port, all the extra hardware, the extra software development (to calibrate...) and extra labor to put all this in the machine. Well either the company as very poor management or that thing can do way much more then it appear, but it’s a secret of course.

Regards,
Felix

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I am sure it plays a big part in programming the Inital Firmware into the computer at the Factory. I am willing to bet that with the correct Ladder Logic Software or similar program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic Like I used at SONY to access the Program used in the Factory Automation making Picture Tubes. We would find that all the Switch contacts and Motor Drivers would be shown... As would the keypad stuff... I am looking for a old BAD Computer if anyone has one to "Disect"......

If some of you remember when LHR added the Update that let a device plug into the DB 25 that outputted to a TALKING MODULE.... Yes, there is a way to make your CW TALK.... I kid you not.... In fact if you read back all the Designer Updates, there was a Quick Update that fixed a Delay on Start Up that was related to waiting for a reply from the Talking Module.... The Fix, I believed booted the machine with the Talking NOT ENABLED or OFF... It had Booted in TALK ENABLED or ON and that caused the Blank Display that "FREEKED PEOPLE OUT...".... Hello Call Center X1000

I talked to the Inventor a few times, I believe Mario was his name... He had made a device that could plug into the CW and SPEAK everything that the LCD Display had on it... A really GREAT IDEA for a Visually Impaired Person... He had a working version for a Digital Protractor too and was trying to market it but failed.... He was caught up in the Economy and even with my efforts to Hook him up with my Manufacturing Friend in San Diego, the Project died... He needed to go back to Work to survive and couldn't invest any more money into the talking project. SO with that said... The DB 25 Does have the LCD Data on it.... I really tried to get him to share the SECRET of the DB 25 but He was under the Confidentially Agreement, I believe, and could not in good faith share Proprietary Data about the Machine....

I would sure like to see the Project brought back to LIFE... The interface from the Digital Protractor was a 1/8 inch mini jack I believe...

He was trying to get the Circuit Boards made for the CW to go from Prototype to Production Version when I lost contact with him... Sad really... A GREAT IDEA.... With MY use of REMOTE Carving and monitoring via a Wireless Intercom, the Speech Version would be pretty COOL.... Now I plan to have a camera on the LCD to see the data from the Laser Shop... Next door...

It's Nice to DREAM... I would even be interested in working with the project.... Hint... Hint....

FelixPQ
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
We would find that all the Switch contacts and Motor Drivers would be shown... As would the keypad stuff...

Personnaly, I don't see any logical and financial reasons to put this plug there if it's not to get FULL access to the machines heart sort of speak. But it's very likely it take the form of a com port and not a hardwired type of thing. I'm also very surprised nobody as hack it yet and of course let the world know about it.

Maybe some day.

Thanks,
Felix

RMarkey
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Lol. Ya'll are thinking too hard. Especially for a 5 cent port. It's really not that spectacular.

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Lol. Ya'll are thinking too hard. Especially for a 5 cent port. It's really not that spectacular.

Firmware Lord,

Thanks for the input. Any chance of future development of a Talking Module for the machine? Be the FIRST....

Then Shop Bot will be a Copying LHR's Talking Mod.... LOL....

AL

AskBud
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Al,
Mario is still making the Tool Talker, albeit slowly.
He has several irons in the fire, and a money crunch. I sent him the $200.00 fee in advance and it took about 2 months to arrive.
The Tool talker works fine, but it takes getting used to (I'm not as sharp as a blind person). It seems their ear and mind are sharper than the average joe! I got the unit as a test, and like to use it in an environment that I can not light well, or extend the cord in to the computer room which is away from the machine.

I've also wondered (not too hard as yet) about buying a 2nd read-out screen and extending that to the computer room (or elsewhere).
AskBud

RMarkey
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Al,
The next version of the Carvewright/Tooltalker will replace politicians. Should be easy to implement.

AskBud,
I don't even have one anymore, so if you find a new feature that doesn't "talk" correctly, please tell me so I can fix it. :rolleyes:

eelamb
02-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Bud I agree with you on the blind. One of my customers has a program called JAWS on his computer. It talks to him, and reads any screen, or book, he opens up. He understands it perfectly. I have to turn it off when working on his system. He tells me I am handicap since I use the mouse and monitor. I find the computer speaking to me confusing, and hard to keep up with what it is saying. I guess I get distracted by seeing the screen, and hand ear coordination is not the same as hand and eye.

AskBud
02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Bud I agree with you on the blind. One of my customers has a program called JAWS on his computer. It talks to him, and reads any screen, or book, he opens up. He understands it perfectly. I have to turn it off when working on his system. He tells me I am handicap since I use the mouse and monitor. I find the computer speaking to me confusing, and hard to keep up with what it is saying. I guess I get distracted by seeing the screen, and hand ear coordination is not the same as hand and eye.I understand what you are saying!
I assist two blind members, quite often, via the phone while accessing their screens. I mentally tune out the Jaws as we work. They can hear parts of what I do, but I'm getting better at not letting it bother me. I think I may be their prime helper. They contact me to evaluate and discribe patterns and MPCs, to be sure they are what they want. Needless to say, I also build many of their MPCs to their specs.
AskBud

SteveEJ
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Al,
The next version of the Carvewright/Tooltalker will replace politicians. Should be easy to implement.

What is it going to do? Talk way too much and lie all the time?:D

gapdev
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Bud,

I've also wondered (not too hard as yet) about buying a 2nd read-out screen and extending that to the computer room (or elsewhere)

I too need/want to do this except I need the LCD *and* the keyboard to be detachable so I can mount it in a position where I can see it and use the keys.

Since I have to use a Sound Proof room to keep complaining neighbors off my back, my second machine fits in the room with the LCD/Keyboard too close to the door so that I have to open the door to read the screen and use the keyboard.

I thought about just removing the whole control panel and making a box for it. The ribbon cable would have to be extended but since I'm an Electronics nerd, that wouldn't be too difficult but I worry that it might introduce noise into the electronics. Guess I could try it and see how it goes.

Kenny

atauer
02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I did not mean to imply that Alex was incorrect, just that they were not used for that purpose on either "fix" when returned to Texas for repair.

That is because you do not have to calibrate the machine for every fix done to a part on the machine. If that was the case, there would be a lot of people who are fixing their machines themselves that would be dead in the water, so to speak.

RMarkey
02-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought about just removing the whole control panel and making a box for it. The ribbon cable would have to be extended but since I'm an Electronics nerd, that wouldn't be too difficult but I worry that it might introduce noise into the electronics. Guess I could try it and see how it goes.

Don't complain when your project aborts because of a random double-stop keypad press.

Been there, done that.

atauer
02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Don't complain when your project aborts because of a random double-stop keypad press.

Been there, done that.

Seen that as well... Its really frustrating and agitating.

Jadeart
02-15-2012, 06:51 AM
The port is for a manual controller. I was on ebay lookng at controllers and found some with that extra port that identified as a port for a hand controller or even a joystick

erick3525
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
I found a 1 meter long ribbon cable so that I could relocate the LCD Keypad where I want. The downside is I had to buy a bundle of them so I now have a few extras. If anyone is interested, I have a couple that I would like to sell, but if I don't at least I have spares for my setup and if I add any more Carvewrights to my shop. Then again, if I get another Carvewright I'll probably convert it to LinuxCNC to match the rest of the shop and not be dependent on what functionality LHR gives me the privilege of buying.

Bud,

I too need/want to do this except I need the LCD *and* the keyboard to be detachable so I can mount it in a position where I can see it and use the keys.

Since I have to use a Sound Proof room to keep complaining neighbors off my back, my second machine fits in the room with the LCD/Keyboard too close to the door so that I have to open the door to read the screen and use the keyboard.

Kenny