PDA

View Full Version : 2nd project - playing around still

BobC33
01-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Here is my second project went near end of rollers will have to scale down some. And a pic of my first trying some wood finish for highlights. Still expermenting until I get my other bits. Just ordered them this morning. So I have a few weeks on my hands carving up all the wood I can get my hands on and fine tuning everything.

menewfy
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
boy as much as i like the first one I really like the quality of the second one, so are you cutting it out ahead of time or using the cw to cut it out?

also if cw is cutting it out I think i would use more wood to get that second image done.

what did you use to import the pics, were they digital or scanned in?

they look like great quality i am very impressed.
Tim

p.s. they need to make a emoticon that has the arms going from up to down as i am bowing. LOL

Jon Jantz
01-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Looks really good!! I like it. I've had some photos turn out good and others look like a real mess...

You were asking for a tip or two in the other post... I have a suggestion to make... I've made quite few plaques and found I was getting chip-out on the letters so I started putting a little bevel on the backside to thicken them up..

You have to do it in an outside graphics program and import it in, but it sure carves and looks a lot nicer in the end..

Here's what I'm talking about... I'm including the pattern too so you can download it.. it looked the best on my Designer with the carving depth set to about 1/8" and a 1/8" region...

BobC33
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I've only had my cw machine for 5 days now and I used it to carve out these pics. I am expermenting with the reliefs and found that when I look thru my digital pics I pick out the best facial features and then get rid of all the background. I then get out all the tiny spaced out pixals or they show up in designer around the feature as carved out dimples. I also found that if I lighten up the pics in color or greyscale to get about 50/50 in black and white it carves better with more height deminsion. I am still trying to get the best carving I can so I will practice on more woood and different setting to achieve the best results before I actually carve it out on some expensive wood as my final cut. Beside I just ordered the other bits today so I still have to wait until they get here so I can dress the carving up some. But hey glad they look good and I can use all the tips I can get from anyone. Thanks!

BobHill
01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
I do like that staining one, Bob.

Bob

Rickrljones
01-29-2007, 08:57 PM
What graphics program are you using to create your images, are they in a vector format or raster? Look Good!!! 8)

BobC33
01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
What graphics program are you using to create your images, are they in a vector format or raster? Look Good!!! 8)

I am using Photoshop 7 and doing my edting there playing with all the goodies and deleting background until I get the image I want.