PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion needed?

FelixPQ
02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I'd like to see how other would approach doing something like this bird feeder I've created? In case it helps, I have both the STL and DXF importer, I also have AI2MPC. I'll gladly share the project with anyone who give a little help.

Thanks,
Felix

cestout
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't even use the CW for this, except maybe to texture the roof panels. I use my machine to do what it can uniquely do, as part of a fully equipped shop.
Clint

FelixPQ
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Clint,

I suppose it's probably "one" pretty good way of using the machine but what a waste when you know a machine like that could machine any of those part just as easily as any patterns one can dream of.

Thanks,
Felix

mtylerfl
02-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi,

I'd like to see how other would approach doing something like this bird feeder I've created? In case it helps, I have both the STL and DXF importer, I also have AI2MPC. I'll gladly share the project with anyone who give a little help.

Thanks,
Felix

Hi Felix,

You could machine all the parts on a CNC, but the miter cuts would be raster carves unless they conform to some commonly available V-bit geometry. For a project like this, I would probably only machine (i.e., cut out) the basic panel cutout component shapes and the top and bottom with the dowel holes, but finish by cutting all the miters on my table saw. A judgment call - I might even cut the panels entirely on a table saw for efficiency/time sake for an assembly like that (would definitely CNC the two doweled components). That's a nice project in any case!

FelixPQ
02-11-2012, 07:24 AM
mtylerfl,

thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatly for me, many of the chamfer like feature can't be done with a V-bit at least not the 90 or 60 degree ones but I wouldn't mind doing these parts as patterns. I asked this question in another post and I'm a little bit puzzled, when I saved the original part as an STL file and open it in the STL importer, the part measure exactly as my original but when finalized and put on a board, the dimension are just a bit oversized. I took care not to have any scaling applied, I wonder if that could be a bug or something. I also wonder if I reset the part to it original dimension manually, what the final result will be? Same as the drawing or will be off by some fraction.

In my mind, a CNC is supposed to be able to machine "parts" accuratly and repeatably within acceptable limits of course and basically save us from tedious setups and most of the work with other machine. Basically, I though I would just create mpc file for all the parts, breaking them into pieces if needed, load the project into the machine, feed it with boards and watch it do it's work while I enjoy a good coffee or whatever. If I decide to make one or 50 of these, I would probably drink a lot of coffee but essentially, no setups to do, no pushing wood all day. I don't know how to say this in english but it would go something like this, leave the monkey work for the CNC as much as possible.

Regards,
Felix

AskBud
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
mtylerfl,

thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatly for me, many of the chamfer like feature can't be done with a V-bit at least not the 90 or 60 degree ones but I wouldn't mind doing these parts as patterns. I asked this question in another post and I'm a little bit puzzled, when I saved the original part as an STL file and open it in the STL importer, the part measure exactly as my original but when finalized and put on a board, the dimension are just a bit oversized. I took care not to have any scaling applied, I wonder if that could be a bug or something. I also wonder if I reset the part to it original dimension manually, what the final result will be? Same as the drawing or will be off by some fraction.

In my mind, a CNC is supposed to be able to machine "parts" accurately and repeatably within acceptable limits of course and basically save us from tedious setups and most of the work with other machine. Basically, I though I would just create mpc file for all the parts, breaking them into pieces if needed, load the project into the machine, feed it with boards and watch it do it's work while I enjoy a good coffee or whatever. If I decide to make one or 50 of these, I would probably drink a lot of coffee but essentially, no setups to do, no pushing wood all day. I don't know how to say this in english but it would go something like this, leave the monkey work for the CNC as much as possible.

Regards,
FelixFelix,
I'm not sure, but it could be that you need to re-think your bit application. If you are using a true cut-out, you may cut inside or outside the line by using the "flip" option. You may also apply a "inset" to the cut-out, if needed. If the vector is not a true cut-out option, the "Inset" may solve the problem.

Remember the bit you assign, is what the machine expects. substituting another bit will change the dynamics of the project.
AskBud

DickB
02-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I think I would combine some of the roof parts and carve those features rather than build them of separate parts. - six panels plus top and bottom. I like cestout's idea of adding some texture to the roof. If you don't have a well-equipped shop, you can do a lot of this work with the CW for sure.

mtylerfl
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
mtylerfl,

In my mind, a CNC is supposed to be able to machine "parts" accuratly and repeatably within acceptable limits of course and basically save us from tedious setups and most of the work with other machine. Basically, I though I would just create mpc file for all the parts, breaking them into pieces if needed, load the project into the machine, feed it with boards and watch it do it's work while I enjoy a good coffee or whatever. If I decide to make one or 50 of these, I would probably drink a lot of coffee but essentially, no setups to do, no pushing wood all day. I don't know how to say this in english but it would go something like this, leave the monkey work for the CNC as much as possible.

Regards,
Felix

Hi Felix,

Yes, you can carve those as patterns and it may indeed appear to change dimensions (slightly), but no worries, the parts will fit, as long as the patterns and chamfers were made accurately in your modeling program. Tip...in Designer, be sure to have the "Scale to Fit Board" turned OFF (unchecked) before dragging the pattern(s) onto the board...otherwise there can be some risk of "real" dimension changes.

One example of a chamfer/bevel/miter I incorporated into a project is the Antique Bookrest Project ( http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20496&cat=261&page=1 ). The backside has a panel with a 45 degree bevel to angle the bookrest and carved perfectly. Of course it takes a while to do it that way (much more efficient to cut miters, etc. with a chop saw or table saw), but it was fun just to make it an "all in one" carve project.

FelixPQ
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
hi all,

sorry all of you, saturday was paint day here, no time to reply. Before I forget, mtylerfl your book rest is beautiful, I like it very much. There is no doubt in my mind one can do pretty nice things using the machine, especially carving of course. I also agree with every one that some parts and or some machining operation would probably be machined much more efficiently with other (none CNC) machines.

I think the phrase that resume the most my conception of a CNC machine is: "Of course it takes a while to do it that way (much more efficient to cut miters, etc. with a chop saw or table saw), but it was fun just to make it an "all in one" carve project. "

My biggest disapointment is coming from the fact it doesn't provide the tools that would allow us to exploit the machine full potential, at least nothing comparable to what they offer for carving type of work.

Regards,
Felix

dbfletcher
02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Felix,

You have to keep in mind that the Carvewright was intended and a turnkey woodcarving machine. They wanted to keep everything simple so that even novices with no machining experience could use the machine. It sounds like you might have been better off with a home built cnc mahcine. Then you could expose any and all the capabilities you desired. I dont think LHR ever stated that underlying functions would be made available to the end user.Most of us know the machine has limitations and have just found work arounds to most of the issues. That is not saying that we cant or shouldn't continue to ask for more capabilities or have more access to things like feed rates, spindle speeds, scripting, and other automation tools.

Any ways, I think as you spend more time with the machine and learn the tips and tricks around things, you will find it is a great little machine for the money. But it does help if you keep the intended target audience in mind when thinking of why things are the way they are currently with the CW.

FelixPQ
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
dbfletcher,

I understand all of that, the turnkey woodcarving machine, the novice intended audience and all that. Yes I would probably have been better off making my own but the incredible price got me dizzy sort of speak.

In the mean time, I'm going to refill my elbow grease tube and try to use it for what it does best.

Thanks,
Felix

Kenm810
02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Felix,

Hope you don't mind, but I kinda keyed in on your Hexagon Bird Feeder,
I've made and carved a few Bird Houses and Feeders with my Machine,
but not a hexagon one yet. I saw your Posts and started playing with umbrella feeder roof ideas
while incorporating something like your peg inclosure, support, and base section.
Thanks

FelixPQ
02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Kenm810,

thanks to you and your idea, instead of making the roof in parts I'll try to make it in as a single piece. Though it's not what I wanted at first, it wil work just fine and simplify my life quite a bit.

Thanks again,
Felix