PDA

View Full Version : Greenhorn

dknytn
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
My name is Dave and I've had my CW for about 1 month now, so I'm greener than green. I am pretty good with a computer and haven't had too many problems with the CW software, however, when I create a design, I pay pretty close attention to the dimensions, but when I carve them out, they all end up being way smaller than what was the original size. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Dave

AskBud
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
My name is Dave and I've had my CW for about 1 month now, so I'm greener than green. I am pretty good with a computer and haven't had too many problems with the CW software, however, when I create a design, I pay pretty close attention to the dimensions, but when I carve them out, they all end up being way smaller than what was the original size. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
DaveMy first thought is that your knowledge and use of your design (MPC), and your actual board needs to be adjusted.

As you design your project (MPC) you assign the dimensions. lets say 5 inches wide by 10 inches long, and 3/4 inch thick. As you place the card and actual board in the machine, it begins by measuring the board. It compares it to the MPC.
At some point it asks if you wish to stay under the rollers. If you reply YES, then the unit expects to measure the actual board to be at least 7 inches longer that the MPC. If the real board is too short, it will ask if you wish to "Scale" your project. A YES answer will give you a smaller carve (in this example).

You must pay attention to the prompts. If you are not sure STOP! If it does not make sense STOP! The machine is giving you the chance to re think your action(s)/design. THINK rather than guessing! If it asks about "Scaling", and does not allow the original size, "Something is rotten in Denmark".
AskBud

AskBud
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Here is the original PDF about Scaling.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf

dknytn
02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Thank you for your replies. I took your advise and just stopped. I re-read the book and re-watched the videos. Being above average with a computer isn't always a good thing. I was over thinking everything and was adding the extra 7 inches in the board size in my creation instead of using the actual project size and making sure I just used a bigger board. To be perfectly honest, my wife came to that conclusion. (Ouch) I edited the program and viola.......works great. Thanks again for your speedy replies!

cnsranch
02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Happens to everybody.

Welcome to the club. Take it one step at a time. With your computer savvy, the light bulb will suddenly go on, an you'll be off to the races.

Read and absorb all of the Tips and Tricks issues - do it while your machine is turning out those masterpieces :)

cestout
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
It is ok to add the extra 7" to your project as long a you answer "no" to "stay under the rollers?". If you answer "Yes" the system will add the 7" for you and will not ask about scaling - unless the board is too narrow.
Clint

dknytn
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
That's good to know too. The video says to "stay under the rollers" for most projects, and didn't really say when not to.
Thanks!!!