PDA

View Full Version : Some times you just get lucky

chkorte
02-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Earlier this week someone put a posting on my local Craigs List for “Craftsman Computer Controlled Graving Machine - $50”. The photos were a Compucarve. I immediately e-mailed him that I wanted to buy it. I didn’t hear from him for 2 days until yesterday when he called me to ask if I still wanted it. I told him yes and picked it up yesterday afternoon. He told me that I was the second response he had received and that the first caller came to look at it and didn’t know what it was so didn’t buy it. I had a few minutes to look at today. I put in a memory card and turned it on and it powered right up. It is a “B” model with 15hrs on the cut motor and total on time of 316hrs. It appears to be a Sears floor model clearance unit. I haven’t been able to do anything else with it because the head crank isn’t working but I have high hopes and have another parts machine if I need it.

fwharris
02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Great buy!! If you have not talk with LHR to get as much info as you can on the machine history....

crfahy
02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Definitely in the right place at the right time!!

Kenm810
02-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Nice Find!! I'll have to agree with being in the right place at the right time,
wish I had some luck like that once in a while ----
I'm more like being in the wrong place at the Wrong time,
and stepping in something I gotta scrap off my shoe.

cestout
02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I am totally envious.
Clint

chkorte
02-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Earlier this week someone put a posting on my local Craigs List for “Craftsman Computer Controlled Graving Machine - $50”. The photos were a Compucarve. I immediately e-mailed him that I wanted to buy it. I didn’t hear from him for 2 days until yesterday when he called me to ask if I still wanted it. I told him yes and picked it up yesterday afternoon. He told me that I was the second response he had received and that the first caller came to look at it and didn’t know what it was so didn’t buy it. I had a few minutes to look at today. I put in a memory card and turned it on and it powered right up. It is a “B” model with 15hrs on the cut motor and total on time of 316hrs. It appears to be a Sears floor model clearance unit. I haven’t been able to do anything else with it because the head crank isn’t working but I have high hopes and have another parts machine if I need it.

Well I finally got a chance to start working on this machine. The first thing I found was that the crank handle won’t work. Further inspection shows that the plastic of the handle is cracked and the clutch mechanism is broken, literally. I changed out the clutch assembly but still can’t get the head to move up or down. I try turning the backside leadscrew using a drift pin but no go. I removed the leadscrew tierod so I could spin each leadscrew separately and then I see that the front leadscrew is bent, really bent! That explains a lot. Someone who didn’t know anything about these machines must have tried to force the handle to turn. Tomorrow I’ll swap out the front leadscrew and try again. The good news is that when I turned the machine on and selected a project from the menu that the machine moved the truck up and home and told me to close the cover and load a board. A good sign that the basic functions are working.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Sounds GOOD....

Good Luck,

AL

GLJames
10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Hey, I am looking for a schematic of the compucarve machine. The manual that came with the machine doesn't address how to get the rolling track which has obviously slipped off its racks for it will not roll.

Would you have any idea where I could go to find such manual?

Thanks in advance.

GL James:|

fwharris
10-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Here is a link for all of the manuals and procedures on the CarveWright site..

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/repair/

Not real sure what your talking about "rolling track which has obviously slipped off its racks for it will not roll."