PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stall help, please

Shacky
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I've noticed over the last couple months that I seem to get Z axis stall errors. It is almost always during the setup and I think only once happened during a project. Usually, I could just move stuff around or reinstall the bit and try again and everything would be OK.

Today I tried a project and could not get pass the Z axis stall during the setup. It always happened when it got to checking the part of the board nearest the middle of the machine.

Since a picture says a thousand words, I have posted 4000 words (4 pictures) which I think tells the story. Can anyone enlighten me as to how to proceed?

Thanks!

RMarkey
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Looks like you need the "dime" trick. Put a dime on the hole on top of the aux roller.

lynnfrwd
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
But the pictures are all upside down! Does that make it a (-4000) words?!

AskBud
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I've noticed over the last couple months that I seem to get Z axis stall errors. It is almost always during the setup and I think only once happened during a project. Usually, I could just move stuff around or reinstall the bit and try again and everything would be OK.

Today I tried a project and could not get pass the Z axis stall during the setup. It always happened when it got to checking the part of the board nearest the middle of the machine.

Since a picture says a thousand words, I have posted 4000 words (4 pictures) which I think tells the story. Can anyone enlighten me as to how to proceed?

Thanks!I'll take a stab at the Z-Axis stall.
From your photos, it appears that you are using a Rock Chuck. That's not a problem! However, it may be part of the source of your situation. Your Rock seems to be longer/lower on the truck than the length of the CarveTight chuck in my two attachments.

Combine the longer Rock and a bit which is mounted longer than acceptable/usual, and you will get the "Z" error. The machine is expecting to lower the truck a specific distance.

The "Dime" trick would also be of consideration. Do you have a hole in the brass roller assembly? Look at this thread to see how a good assembly might look. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18042-Missing-O-ring-and-damage-help-please&p=152025#post152025
AskBud

Shacky
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
But the pictures are all upside down! Does that make it a (-4000) words?!

Can't believe I did that!

I am absorbing the info and going to read up on some of what was mentioned and will post back soon. As always, thanks to everyone on the forum. My Carvewright would probably be rusting in the bottom of the river if not for the great help and advice obtained here.

Shacky
02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Two new pictures. This time right side up!

Here is a better view of my Rock Chuck. It's been a long time since I installed it. Can I adjust it up?

The other is a picture of my brass roller assembly. As you can see, there is no actual hole but a channel has been carved into the plate (from left to right in the pic). You can see that one incident a year ago required some jb weld repair. Right after I took this picture I broke open the JB Weld and smoothed out that plate again. I'm not sure how long its been like that.

EDIT: I just went and took a closer look after reading some other threads. There was a hole. It was to the left of the plate right where I saw it in other pictures. Anyway, that is all filled now with JB Weld. Sounds like that is no more than a temporary fix. I'm still on firware version 1.178.08998, would an upgrade help? And, although off the subject of the original reason for this thread, any reason why I shouldnt upgrade the FW?

AskBud
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Two new pictures. This time right side up!

Here is a better view of my Rock Chuck. It's been a long time since I installed it. Can I adjust it up?

The other is a picture of my brass roller assembly. As you can see, there is no actual hole but a channel has been carved into the plate (from left to right in the pic). You can see that one incident a year ago required some jb weld repair. Right after I took this picture I broke open the JB Weld and smoothed out that plate again. I'm not sure how long its been like that.Since Ron Justice (rjustice) made the ROCK, he might be the best one to answer that. WOW, it looks as if your bit and collet extend way long!
AskBud

Shacky
02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Here is a better picture of it. Is Ron still active on the forum?

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Load a project that only uses the carving bit... And see what happens... The Designer is set up for a Carve Tite Chuck with a very small window of length that you can install the 1/8th inch bit. IF you use a ROCK and install the 1/8 inch bit TOO LONG or TOO SHORT the machine throws a FIT.... Because the Carve Tite Bits are press fit with a sleeve to 1/2 inch and to better serve the master... the length allowed was tightened up... Install a 1/8 too long and you get a fault. With my Lock Rings, I place them as close as possible to the cutting threads and it works in my rock just fine. Selecting the Carving Bit PROJECT and the carving bit that does not have a tight of a limitation and see if you get past the bit load...

SO... If this is a REAL Z Problem....

FFC Cable is always the first suspect...

Z Motor's have problems too....

Z Rails clean? The no man's land between the upper and lower bearing can be dirty.

Frozen Z Bearing... Have seen this a bunch.... Lower left one.... Gets hit with sawdust...

Good Luck,

AL

AskBud
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Here is a better picture of it. Is Ron still active on the forum?It appears he last posted in September. You could send him a private message. Here is a link to his site as well.
Bud
http://www.cw-parts.com/

Shacky
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks. I sent Ron the picture and question in an email.

Shacky
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Al. I'll give the Z rails a real good cleaning and check those bearings in the AM. Plus, I'll try with the carving bit.

Load a project that only uses the carving bit... And see what happens... The Designer is set up for a Carve Tite Chuck with a very small window of length that you can install the 1/8th inch bit. IF you use a ROCK and install the 1/8 inch bit TOO LONG or TOO SHORT the machine throws a FIT.... Because the Carve Tite Bits are press fit with a sleeve to 1/2 inch and to better serve the master... the length allowed was tightened up... Install a 1/8 too long and you get a fault. With my Lock Rings, I place them as close as possible to the cutting threads and it works in my rock just fine. Selecting the Carving Bit PROJECT and the carving bit that does not have a tight of a limitation and see if you get past the bit load...

SO... If this is a REAL Z Problem....

FFC Cable is always the first suspect...

Z Motor's have problems too....

Z Rails clean? The no man's land between the upper and lower bearing can be dirty.

Frozen Z Bearing... Have seen this a bunch.... Lower left one.... Gets hit with sawdust...

Good Luck,

AL

Shacky
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's an update. This morning I inspected the sliding plate and found that there was also a hole in the thumb lever right at the end of it. I sanded off the bur and filled it with JB. I removed the flex shaft and lubricated it. It was still running cool, but it's been six months or more since I lubed it, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I also thoroughly cleaned the Z rails and wiped them with a bit of WD40.

I restarted the project and watched the setup closely, when the bit reached the tracking roller plate, it was not spinning. The same was true when it got over to the sliding plate. I did not notice where the bit did anything other than lightly touch the areas I repaired.

I used the carving bit instead of the cutting bit this time and it started up and ran just fine.

So, I'm not quite sure where I am at. It's running a project right now, but do I have a longer term problem here?

BTW, I know it is not likely related, but recently I had a belt rip and I replaced it.

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
So try a project with a 1/8 inch cut path bit and see what happens.... IF if fails.... Try to move the Locking Ring to let the bit be shorter and try again.

AL

Shacky
02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Al,

Thanks. I haven't been using those rings as I usually just insert the bit up to where the flute begins. Seems to work ok, but I wouldn't mind picking up some of the rings and putting them on my bits. Where have folks been getting them?

Also, about the firmware...any reason not to update? Generally, I hold back a while and wait to see if there are any issues.

I am running a project right now. I'll see how it cuts out in an hour or so.

Thanks again.