PDA

View Full Version : Restarting a Project

chebytrk
02-07-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm going to have to restart a project after it ran 84% (accidently hit the stop button 1 too many times). I know about drawing a zero depth box over the already carved area of the .mpc, but does that mean that my "Shanita" is going to have to air carve that complete zero depth carve and will it take just as long to get back to my "oops" point? Sure wish there was a way to speed thru the air carve or maybe a "BACK" button on the key pad for these C.R.S. (Can't Remember Stop) number times :D. Think I even invented a new cuss word yesterday.

Another question......... will I need to run masking tape down the middle (length wise) so it initially measures correctly?

cnsranch
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I believe the machine will not air carve a Region with zero depth.

If you have problems when the machine goes thru the board measurement step, add tape - it should take care of that.

PCW
02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Just to add to what Jerry stated... The machine will travel towards the carve region and air carve for a min. or two and then start carving where you left off.

signman9999
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I do not know about the zero depth box. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to find this. I tried searching "zero depth box" but only got 2 threads and neither explained it.
Thanks Tom

chebytrk
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
What you do is draw a box (or circle) over the area that you've already carved. Enough to cover the area. Then you set it as a carve region and assign zero depth to it.

I do not know about the zero depth box. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to find this. I tried searching "zero depth box" but only got 2 threads and neither explained it.
Thanks Tom

signman9999
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank You Jerry. I didn't know if there was more to it than that, sounds pretty straight forward.

chebytrk
02-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Just restarted the project and it went straight to the point where I left off..... maybe just a tee-tad off, but nothing to make a difference. Reason I stopped (& goofed) the project is because my spindle motor was starting to make a bad noise as it was carving. Flex shaft would periodically start to shake and vibrate hard. The project had been running for about 3hrs so I decided to let it cool off some and try to finish it up before everything went south. Well.. I FAT fingered and caused my "project stopped" issue. Since it was stopped then, I took out the flex shaft core and relubed it in the center area overnight. I put it back in this morning and it all seems to be running fine. I know I've seen this issue come up in the forum before and it's the same symptoms that someone else had. I too checked the flex core cable and it doesn't look to be wound tight like it was when I got it. I see tiny small spaces in the winding throughout (except on the ends). I'm covered on all this because I've got the 4yr extended warranty, but I do wonder about that since others have seen this (core un-winding) issue before. I'll keep an eye on "shanita" and see if she acts up anymore and put it out there in our "cyber forum".

hsypo
02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I have two machines and have been threw a few flex-shafts. I have learned that keeping the f/s cool along with lube is the answer. I keep a small fan on the f/s all the time it is running. Prob solved.

gapdev
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I've got the 4yr extended warranty

Warranty doesn't cover the Flexshaft. Even if you buy a new shaft and it goes bad immediately, there is no warranty.

If your's is starting to act up like that, you might want to buy a new shaft now just to have it on hand when your's melts or twists apart. Been there several times!

As far as the fan goes, I too rigged up a fan to blow on the shaft but I feel that the fan just covers up the problem and won't prevent the shaft from going bad. I had a fan on mine because it was getting too hot to touch and although the fan cooled it off, it still melted.

Best to have a spare shaft that you can plug in to keep the project going while you clean and re-lube the one that is vibrating and heating up.

Kenny

cestout
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I have always used Lubraplate 930AA on my flex shaft and it NEVER gets even warm. The spacer spring wore thru in one place and was replaced at around 400 hrs.
Clint