PDA

View Full Version : Two guitar building related questions for Liquidguitars

jsullysix
02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey there,

My goal is to get up to speed with my CW and I had a couple of guitar building specific questions for ya.

Do you use the CW for shaping the back of a neck? If so, how would you do that with an angled peghead? I’d think that the headstock would get in the way of the process. I scarf joint my necks, so I guess I could shape both parts before gluing them, while leaving a bit more material than needed at the area where they’d be glued up. Then again, it’d be way easier to clamp and glue the joint while the boards are still flat.

Do you use your CW to cut inlays? (MOP?) I’ve got a sinking feeling that using it to cut shell is a bad idea, but figured I’d ask.

Thanks!

Sully

cnsranch
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey, Sully....

Go to Brandon's profile below, and go thru all of his threads and posts - that will get you started.

http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?1103-liquidguitars

jsullysix
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Hey there,

I've pretty much done that, but haven't really found the answer. (saw an old thread that referred to using plastic inlays, which is kinda in the ballpark, but there wasn't a ton of info in there, and I also found a jig that was used to handle angled headstock faces, but didn't mention backshapes) So I figured I'd ask.