PDA

View Full Version : Small Plaque

cnsranch
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
My son's a little hesitant to take his new Colt with him to work :-D so I made him something he can stare at during the day.

Ash and walnut over Cedar - kind of interesting with those hardwoods over something so soft.

About 8x6.

Thanks to Jpaluck for the pattern - the Logo I took off the Web and edited in PE.

Old Salt
02-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Looks good!

Happy to see you at the KS show sorry we didn"t have time to talk more.

Gary

bergerud
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
That is very nice.

gregsolano
02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
great plaque love the contrasting colors.

eelamb
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Really nice plaque Jerry. John (jpaluck)does make some great patterns.

rcdages
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Well done Jerry,

Your son should enjoy his Colt now all day long.

Interesting how well the three woods do together.

DocWheeler
02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Jerry, that is very nice indeed.

I have a question - how did you get the rounded shape on the lettering?

cnsranch
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks, all.

Where you been, Doc? Regarding your question.....

The rounded lettering is really quite simple (I couldn't do it if it weren't).

I like to find solid black logos on the Net, copy them, and bring them into Pattern Editor.

Lower it just enough to eliminate the background, save it as a pattern (I've got a file named "test"), then get it back into PE.

Then, using tool pressure of 10, I simply go over the pattern with the blur tool. If it's not rounded enough, I go to a higher pressure (the pics below I stopped at 20, but could have gone much higher).

Combining that with "Round Edges", and continuing to lower the entire pattern to eliminate too much blurring around the edges, and there it is.

The pics below started in Microsoft Publisher as text. Once I copied the entire text box, I brought it into PE, and PE treats it like a pattern, not as text. The process is the same for any other type of pattern, like the "Colt" logo I found.

cestout
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Did you laminate the contrasting boards and carve to the bottom of the lamination or did yhou inset them wht that "Tips & Tricks" with the mare and fole?
Clint

cnsranch
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Laminates were set at .25" thick, and I carved to .27".